Pet Battles

Pet Battles: FAQs, Links, Macros, & Addons Change log: 26Sep2012 – first version (and various edits through-out the day) 28Sep2012 – added some additional information/editing, changed title from Index of Available Pet Battle Information to Pet Battles: FAQs, Links, Macros, & Addons 29Sep2012 – Re-organized to allow space for more FAQs; re-organized FAQs; added general topics to FAQs 16Oct2012 – Added an upcoming Patch Notes section (going to see how this works out) 01Dec2012 – Updated to reflect 5.1 changes; added Bug section to upcoming Patch Notes Section 19Dec2012 – Updated to correct typos and 5.1 hotfixes (RIP alt-f4'ing) 22Dec2012 – Updated with 5.2 PTR notes 16Jan2014 -- Using some of my free game time Blizzard sent me to clean up some outdated sections 17Mar2016 -- Updated to reflect WoD changes Thanks to: Blizzard for adding Pet Battles Lithuen (Kilrogg), Nullberri (Lightbringer), Simca (Malfurion), Shalura (Anvilmar), Aieny (Medivh), Lilfrier (Mannoroth), Rescind (Lightning's Blade), Stryph (Anvilmar), Wrelch (Wyrmrest Accord), Twixi (Garrosh), Elderbrand (Anvilmar), Layton (Wyrmrest Accord), Tgwaste (Korialstrasz), Vasala (Baelgun), Warla (Dragonmaw), Chainheal (Kael'thas), Falinari (Medivh), Tlym (Netherstorm), Jaede (Dalaran) for contributing directly or posting some great information that I've compiled here. ******************************************************************* Index: FAQs: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6714292423#2 Basic information on the Pet Battle system -Basic Questions and Getting Started http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6714292423?page=1#2 -Maintaining Your Collection http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6714292423?page=1#3 -Pet Rarity and Family http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6714292423?page=1#4 -Pet Battles http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6714292423?page=1#5 -Wild Pets http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6714292423?page=1#7 -Quests, Pet Leveling, and Pet XP http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6714292423?page=1#9 -Theorycrafting http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6714292423?page=1#10 -Multiple WoW Accounts http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6714292423?page=1#11 -Pet Battle Stones http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6714292423?page=1#12 Links: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6714292423?page=1#14 Places around the web that are full of helpful information Macros: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6714292423?page=1#16 Key-bind your way to pet battle awesomeness! Addons: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6714292423?page=1#18 Because sometimes the Blizzard UI just isn't enough ******************************************************************* Phaedra179
May 2
Which Pets to Level to Complete Achievements EDIT: I have added a list of "very good pets I did not use" based on other posts. I also added some info on optimized breeds where applicable, but these optimized breeds are not required for someone just looking to finish off the achieves. This is a pet list for anyone looking to complete all of the pet battle achievements efficiently (i.e. do the bare minimum). There are a million ways to do this, but this was how I, after wasting time on many useless pets, did it. I hope it is helpful for all the beginners out there. No TCG or store pets are needed, and while some of these aren't easy to obtain (as some have commented), you will need to do an equal amount of work to get by without them IMO. With this list, it is possible to complete all of the major "PVE" pet battle achievements - there is no simple formula for PVP, but many of these pets are excellent in PVP as well. I will not go into detail on what each pet is used for, but if you follow many of the popular guides out there, you will find that most pets on those lists can be substituted for those on my list. First, a few helpful tips: All of the pet trainers in Pandaria can be defeated with only an Emeral Proto-Whelp and Anubisath Idol, making this route very efficient for leveling pets - even if you have minimal level 25's. Someone has posted the details for each fight to wowhead. Always complete your garrison menagerie dailies. These will provide you with a constant stream of tokens to increase the quality/levels on pets you need. Start running old raids to get "raiding with leashes" achievement asap - you will need Anubisath Idol and Chrominius for many reasons, and it may take several weeks to get the drops. Howl Bomb: It is a method of killing extremely high-hp single enemies. It can be implemented several ways (and most guides will help you with this), but the core pets are a Pandaren Water Spirit and Chrominius, supplemented by either the Darkmoon Zepplin (celestial tournament) or Unborn Val'kyr (outside tournament).The List: So here is the list, sorted by: 1) what I consider to be my go-to pets (used daily), 2) which ones I use regularly (~weekly) and 3) others I used infrequently or for gimmicky fights (e.g. to complete "An Awfully Big Adventure"). 1) Core Pets (9 total) Anubisath Idol Emerald Proto-Whelp Chrominius Pandaren Water Spirit Clockwork Gnome Darkmoon Zepplin Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling Any Snail (Rapana Whelk is best) Terrible Turnip (weakening blow cannot kill, so it's perfect for collecting low-level pets)2) Used Often (9 total) Any Moth w/ alpha strike, cocoon strike, and moth dust (P/P Yellow Moth is best) Eternal Strider (or equivalent, P/S breed best) Darkmoon Tonk Any Spider w/ strike, brittle webbing, and leech life Any Frog w/ water jet, cleansing rain, swarm of flies, and frog kiss (S/S Leopard Tree Frog or a P/P Yellow-Bellied Bullfrog are best) Nexus Whelpling Scourged Whelpling Stinker (used to heal in celestial tournament) Unborn Val'kyr3) Used Infrequently (17 total) Adder (this is a great first lvl25 - high speed + counters critters) Amethyst Shale Hatching Blighthawk Chi-chi Core Hound Pup Elekk Plushie Fel Flame Flayer Youngling Kun-Lai Runt Lofty Libram Mud Jumper/Swamp Croaker Nether Faerie Dragon Prairie Dog Sea Gull Spawn of Onyxia Sporeling Sprout Tiny Snowman A second Moth (I've even used 3) A second Frog (I've even used 3) A second Spider4) Other very strong pets (that I never needed): Gilnean Raven Crow Xu-Fu Iron Starlette Feline Familiar S/S Rabbit P/P Emporer Crab H/H Spirit Crab Teroclaw Hatchling Alpine Foxling Lil' Bling Ghostly Skull Ghastly Kid Zalandari Raptors Electrified Razortooth Jeack20
5d
Welcome: Please Read! Welcome to the Pet Battles forum! This forum is here to provide you with a friendly environment where you can discuss Pet Battles with your fellow World of Warcraft players. Community forums work best when participants treat their fellow posters with respect and courtesy, so we ask that you take the time to read through the forum Code of Conduct (http://us.battle.net/en/community/conduct) and guidelines (http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/15252595157) before posting. Important Reminders: Search The search function at the top of the World of Warcraft community site is extremely effective and robust. Before you create a new forum topic, please be use it to search for similar topics, blog posts, or web pages that may contain the answer for which you are looking. Making a new thread on an existing subject can result in your thread being deleted or, if you continue to re-post the same content, the loss of your forum privileges for spamming. Rating The forum rating system can be used to promote positive discussion, demote unhelpful comments, and even report posts that violate the forum Code of Conduct. By hovering over a post you'll be presented with several options, including a "thumbs up" (Like) and a "thumbs down" (Dislike) icon. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon will rate the post up. If enough people like a post, it will gain a Highly Rated status and appear at the top of related search results. Highly Rated posts will also have a highlighted background. Clicking the "thumbs down" icon will expand a drop-down menu which will include "Dislike," "Trolling, "Spam" and "Report" options. "Dislike" will rate the post down. If enough people dislike a post, it will be darkened, and with a lot of dislikes it will be hidden completely. You can also quickly report a post as trolling or spam, or use the report function to fill out a more comprehensive description of a violation. Please note that you can only rate each post once. Use your power wisely to help foster a positive and helpful forum community. Have fun posting on these forums, and good luck with your adventures in Azeroth! Nethaera0
Sep 26, 2012
5m
Deathwatch Hatchling on horde! Hello WoW Community! This is a repost from my server cluster's forum. I apologize for the long post, I tend to be a wordy person lol. With the removal of Warlords Challenge Modes this past Tuesday, my guild is in a fairly rare position, as we did CMs as a guild group and got the Deathwatch Hatchling pet. I have been doing call outs in trade and general before the pet is removed - however, it is still in the game as of now. As I am not sure if it will be removed in Legion or at all, I am making a call out here as well as occasional ones in trade chat to let people know that we have this pet and I am offering a special promotion while I know it is still in the game. Anyone is welcome to join The Crimson Shadows on Nesingwary, free of charge, to purchase the pet from the guild vendor before it is potentially removed on Legion launch. You are under no obligation to stay after purchasing the pet, and you are under no obligation to pay me or donate to our guild bank - although the latter is greatly appreciated when done. The only request I have to people who join after seeing this forum post here is to understand that our guild is extremely far from PG at times and if you do not plan on remaining on the server after you purchase the pet I ask you to remove your toon from the guild after - our guild is highly active and I have to do inactive cleaning enough as it is so a bit of courtesy and making my job easier will go a long way in making me enjoy helping people get this pet more! The pet costs 300g each, you can hold up to 3 and cannot cage or trade the pet in any way. Anyone who joins for the pet is also welcome to stay in the guild; main, alt, or otherwise, and you can contact anyone in the guild to get in touch with an officer or myself if you want to know more about the guild before staying/joining. I would talk more about the guild itself here, but this is not a guild recruitment ad - I am simply trying to help as many people obtain this pet while I still can. You are also welcome to join and farm your reputation to revered here if you do not meet the requirements to instantly purchase it, and may leave after purchasing the pet in this event as well with zero hard feelings. Contact anyone in the guild in game for an invite - but when you do join, if it is for the pet, please send me a mail on this toon letting me know that you bought it, especially if you intend to leave after purchasing it! It will make me very happy to know how many people I helped obtain it, and if you do not wish to/cannot donate to the guild bank as a gesture of gratitude, sending me a letter letting me know that you bought it will be all the payment I need. The guild also has every other guild vendor reward available for purchase with the exception of the Blacksteel Battleboar if you need any of those as well. I look forward to seeing you in guild if you decide to stay, or your mails if you decide to leave! Happy pet hunting and enjoy. :) Superpower2
11m 32m 1h 2h 2h 3h 3h
Pet Charm reward nerf I have been doing my garrison pet battles daily on all possible toons, as well as the weekly account-wide quest, quite faithfully for several weeks. My thinking was to save up the charms for when Legion drops so that I can buy all new pets/items at launch. However, I discovered to my dismay today that the number of Pet Charms awarded from all WoD pet battle dailies has been halved. Perhaps I overlooked the section mentioning this change in the patch notes, but nonetheless I was shocked, appalled, and quite disgusted when my time and effort was rewarded with less than I was expecting and accustomed to. Indeed, I was reminded how I felt when I ordered a McChicken from McDonald's and was given just a bun with mayo on it. I accepted, grudgingly, that the Treasure Hunter perk was removed from followers and replaced with Scavenger, because heaven forbid we have a means of making large sums of gold. It's not like there's a Mad Merchant set to arrive in a few months. I also, even more grudgingly, accepted and laughed off the quadrupling of prices of items on the Trade vendor. I understand that we can't simply buy MORE things with this new surplus of garrison resources. Such a preposterous notion! But this change to the Pet Charm rewards baffles me. I feel like I'm being punished for being proactive. I had 1100 more charms to earn before Legion launched, and more than enough time to take a day or two break from the grind. Now the thought of committing twice as much time to the tedious task has made me somewhat bitter and put a foul taste in my mouth, much like the mayonnaise burger mentioned above. I guess my question is: What the hell, Blizzard?! Nimeriaa20
3h 6h 6h 7h 9h 17h 1d 1d 1d 1d 1d 1d
Unnecessary Nerf to Howl-bomb Stitch Jr. ignores any attack of 500 damage or less, and lets not forget the ghost goat the has the insta kill shot, just to name 2, so moves like this and others can come in handy. I'm not miffed with the nerf in general, it's the magnitude of the nerf in a futile effort to create balance. Equality and balance is an unobtainable dream created by a political party making that empty promise to the people just to sway votes their way. It's a Pipe Dream. A ladder has a top and a bottom with many rungs in between, learn to climb it and stop trying to fold it up into 1 rung so they are all at the bottom. There is more than one pet combo that can reek havoc, on Tanaan, so why attack the howl part of the howl-bomb. Combining geyser, and whirlpool on the same attack line is fine, but cutting Howl down to 1 round is a desperate act of people scrambling to kowtow to crybabies screaming OP, OP, OP. Cutting Howl in half is going to ruin other strats not just the howl-bomb. But by combining geyser, and whirlpool on the same attack line the only change they will have accomplished the mission of nerfing the howl-bomb, without destroying the other strats that utilize howl. It really is pathetic how sissified they are making this game. I mean it's called (World of Warcraft) not (world of teddy bears, rainbows, pink ribbons, and lollipops). Leave it to blizzard's devo team to jump the shark every time. SMFH Blizzard isn't going to rewrite programming because they are embarrassed that someone smarter than them found a chink in the armor and is exploiting it, and I'll bet you all 640 of my rare pets that the PVE pet trainers, and their pets didn't put in a ticket complaining about how they are getting smacked down because the howl-bomb strat is to OP. It was a person, excuse me, PEOPLE that complained to blizzard about this strat being OP. Blizzard did not choose to unilaterally nerf the howl-bomb without complaints prompting it, and then Blizzard goes off the deep end by over nerfing it. Dædpool107
1d 1d 1d 2d 2d
Thoughts on the pre-patch This pertains to PvP, as I don't PvE much. Of course everything is my opinion, so take it with the usual grain of polite pet battle forum salt :P Blizzard did a decent job on nerfs. No nerfed pet got the FFF treatment; I’ve seen and battled with most of them and they all are still usable. Here are the how the pets that I considered to be in the top tier in WoD are doing now: MPD - A fast pet that can drop a decoy and has an even-split AoE (even a nerfed one) is still good. Teroclaw hatchling - No nerfs, will still be in the top tier unless there’s an extreme power creep with the new Legion pets. Yet another major nerf to damage leaves healers better off than before. Ore Eater - Still very good. Shell Armor was horribly OP, the loss of one round still leaves it useful, especially on fast Ore Eaters. Bone Serpent - Still very good. Out of the top tier undead pets this one suffered the least. It can still pump out loads of damage before the undead racial kicks in. I may move away from using an H/H to a faster breed because of the undead racial nerf, but haven’t tried yet. Graves - Still good. The Consume Corpse/Grave Destruction move set was generally better than Bonestorm/Grave Destruction, now people are essentially forced into using the good move set. Thankfully the undead nerf and breed change brought Graves down quite a bit. I’ve already been beaten by Graves teams quite a few times. Great job Blizzard in not giving it the FFF treatment. Fragment Of Anger - I haven’t used this much yet, but it does seem quite lackluster compared with all of the other pets on this list. The Bone Serpent has massive damage, Graves has Consume Corpse, the MPD has Decoy, the FoA has… a stun. This will still be a great flying pet counter, but I don’t plan on using it much. Might be good if tclaws are a meta pet. For the second xpac in a row, damage has seen a significant nerf, while healing has not. The change from accuracy on attacks to a high/low distribution (MoP->WoD) was a major nerf for damage due to the expected value of the damage of many attacks being lowered significantly. Now AoE attacks have been nerfed in Legion. Photosynthesis/sunny day teams were already too hard to take down without a limited number of counters, now it will be even harder to take them down. I’ve long advocated for Photosynthesis to be nerfed, and now this is probably my biggest concern going into Legion. The undead death bug is still not fixed. To my knowledge this is the longest running bug in pet battles. If an undead pet goes to zero health it should get one more round before it perishes, but if it goes to zero health from some end of turn damage moves (like Elementium Bolt, Whirlpool) and Minefield then it gets two more rounds. This has happened to me since the pre-patch, so it is still not fixed. The nerfs to AoE damage were great, but there are still a few things that need nerfing: Photosynthesis heals for too much in sunny day. A possible solution would be to reduce the back line healing capabilities by x%. Traps still do three things: interrupt, stun, and damage. That’s too much. Make it do two out of those three things, but not all of them. I’ve never bought the “balanced by rng” argument, since the trap can go off at a good/bad time for either opponent. The changes are great, but there are a few things I would love to see happen to make pet battles better: The bottom five racials (elemental, dragonkin, magic, critter, aquatic) made more useful. The undead nerf was a great change, in the future perhaps these less than adequate racials can be looked at. The top five are fine. Different queues - do it like Hearthstone! Unranked queues that can be entered to complete quests (like we have now), ranked queues, and then arena queues where we pick one pet out of a choice of five three times, then battle others in the arena until we lose x times. I know many people don't want this, and I don't really understand why. You don't have to play ranked or arena! Finally, if you’ve been wanting to get into PvP but haven’t, now is a great time! There isn’t a well defined meta, so there are a wide variety of pets and teams you will face. Besides sunny day teams and trap pets there aren’t too many OP pets/teams that you will face. These are the pets I am having success with so far in the pre-patch meta: Fiendish Imp - With less undead around this guy can go back to force swapping and back line healing without much consequence. Jademist Dancer - Clonedance is strong once again now that Graves is not so prevalent. Great against tclaws, sunny day. Snarly/bleeders - Great against sunny day. Mechanicals - Probably the best racial now that undead have been nerfed. Ore Eater - Now that Shell Armor has been nerfed I can use this with a clear conscience. See you in the queue! Discodoggy6
2d 2d 2d 2d 2d
New Squirt Stratigies (countering the nerf) Most of us regulars here have now seen the blue post with the pet battle balancing/tuning changes for Legion. While I applaud most of the changes, one does concern me - the addition of a 1-round CD to Cleave, used by Weeabomination. Weeabomination is the cornerstone of the most popular leveling strategy for Squirt. But rather than simply complain and moan, I decided to come up with a reliable, alternate strategy, of decent fight length for leveling a pet off of Squirt. I've spent the last couple hours trying different things and seeing what works. The old strategy, for reference: (condensed version - see any of Kalyn's posts for details...) Enter your Enchanted Broom against Deebs /use Sweep - causes Puzzle to replace Deebs) Swap to a leveling pet; Puzzle will "evade". Swap to Weeabomination /use Cleave - cleave ALL the things... /repeat last step Weeabomination will kill the back line pets, but likely die before killing Puzzle Enter your Broom again, and bop it on head to win. -------------------------- My requirements for a replacement strategy: 1) It should be no harder to set up than the current strategy. No super-rare, unobtainable pets that only a small percentage of the playerbase has. (eg. no Blizzcon Murlocs, Collector's Edition pets, or even TCG pets for that matter) 2) The fight should be take a reasonable length of time. My Ruby Droplet can solo Squirt, given 10 minutes. I don't feel like this is practical, not for leveling pets at least. 3) It should be reliable. I've tried some other strategies that use MPD, or others to support a leveling pet, but they don't always succeed. A leveling strategy should be consistently good, with only the worst of RNG halting it. What I've come up with (so far): Leveling Pet (at least level 5) Nightshade Sproutling (S/S - Ninja Breed preferred) Undead pet of your choice... Enter your leveling pet, and use a single ability against Deebs. Swap out the next round for Nightshade Sproutling (NsS) /use Blinding Poison - if your NsS if faster Deebs will be 100% blinded for 2 rounds /use Call Darkness - NsS is an elemental, and therefore ignores the hit debuff from this weather effect /use Lash until Deebs is dead. Tyri will enter next. /use Blinding Poison - again, blinded for two turns /use Call Darkness /use Lash until Tyri is dead Puzzle will enter last. /use Call Darkness if off CD, else Lash Puzzle uses Evade /use Lash - it will be wasted on evade /use Blinding Poison on CD from this point on /use Call Darkness on CD from this point on /use Lash as fill. IF YOUR SPROUTLING DIES - swap to your undead pet and use that to take down Puzzle. Advantages: -It is a fairly quick fight, NsS makes short work of all three enemies. -All pets are obtainable in game, albeit rare, but obtainable. Disadvantages: - Does require a faster NsS. Mine is S/S; I suppose any _/S breed might also work, but haven't access to one right now to test.* S/S Sproutlings aren't always the easiest pet to get. - Slightly RNG-based. I have had the NsS solo the fight a few times, I've also seen him die shortly after Puzzle comes out. In these cases I have used a H/H Bone Serpent to finish off Puzzle. Really, any undead should work here. - Requires at least a level 5 pet. This is because of the initial hit off of Deebs, and some AoE coming in from Tyri. This makes it less flexible than the original strategy at the top, where you can swap in a lvl 1 without worry. -------------------------- If anyone wants to help test/refine this method, or has found other strategies that are fairly quick, reliable, and obtainable to most players, share your thoughts here! Happy Battles. ~Zookeeper Xian Lei *Edit: After looking up and comparing the stats for S/S Sproutlings and for mixed-speed sproutlings, the S/S breed is the only viable one for this strategy. The advantage of effectively blocking two whole attacks by using blinding poison first is just too much to give up. (Puzzle is the fastest enemy on the three, with a speed of 301) Xianlei31
2d 2d 3d
New Pet Battler I just reinstalled WoW onto my comp after a 4 year break from the game. I was curious about pet battles, and have become rather hooked on going out and trying to catch a bunch. As of yet, I have just been enjoying trying to find different types of pets to battle. My 5 most used critters are between levels 11 and 13. I must say that I really enjoy how each of these pets are accessible account wide. That has made catching and using rarer creatures a relief. So far, I am having the best luck using combinations of the Onyxia whelpling, pink elephant (or whatever the WoW word for elephant is), Strand crawler crab, Siamese cat and Speedy the snail, when I am battling NPC's on the quest line. For capturing the different creature types in the zones, I will have one strong creature, and two mid to low level pets, to use in case I encounter a rare blue, and want to capture it alive. I have found forest moths to be the most hated type of opponent to face. I could swear the game is taking two turns to my one... One thing that I have noticed, to my annoyance, is that ever since the servers came back up after last Tuesday's big pre Xpac patch, I have some characters that CAN see battle creatures as I game, and others that canNOT. Most all of the ones that cannot see other pets are level 20 and under, but I have two characters that "could" see pets to battle, and for about the past week, have not been able to see anything. I have tested this by having them log out in a specific spot that I know has frequent animals to challenge, then logging a different character in the same spot. Some can see the creatures to battle, others cannot - in the same spot. Does anybody have advice on this? Before I close, I will share an amusing mistake that I made. I didn't know that you could access any vanity pet that you had acquired over the past ten years, and I was onto my second NPC when I realized that I was not restricted to using the black king snake the trainer had sold to me in Orgrimmar! I was a tad embarrassed when I figured that out. Gedvos7
3d 3d 3d 3d 3d 3d 3d 3d 3d 3d 3d 4d 4d 4d