"Auto Attack/Auto Shot" option gone in 4.0.1

Hunter
I've noticed a behavior where if my current target dies and I cast a shot (presumably any ranged attack, though my experience is limited to my Hunter), I will grab the next closest target and attack it. This tends to result in unintended pulls and general Hunter hate. It used to be possible to disable this behavior (the auto-selecting, not the Hunter hate; that appears to be eternal) by deselecting the "Auto Attack/Auto Shot" option. The result would be that ranged targets would have to be manually selected before they could be attacked. Which was great!

Is there any way to reproduce this behavior, without the "Auto Attack/Auto Shot" option?

No doubt one solution is "pay more attention to your target's life and don't attack it after it's dead, n00b." And that's fine. I've also heard of folks macroing all of their shots to avoid this.

Thoughts?
Yes, I've just started playing a hunter and I noticed this - it seems overkill to have to use a macro for every shot type. You can't always prevent it by "don't shoot at the wrong thing noob" since JUST as you hit the shot and it dies it can select a new target and shoot at it before you have a chance to see you have the wrong target.

I think auto-select should only happen for melee abilities, and auto-shoot shouldn't be turned on by an ability unless the ability is successful. On a mage, you just get "no target selected", it doesn't auto-select a target for you.

Paradoxically, I find the opposite problem to be annoying when playing a bear - it doesn't turn on auto-attack if you use a melee ability and don't have enough rage (and, since you aren't attacking yet, you aren't building up rage most likely). There's a situation where trying to throw a melee attack should turn on auto-attack even if it can't be done yet.
Spam escape if I'm in a dangerous area after I kill something.

It appears to be a bug with sticky targeting.
It baffles me why they removed this option, when this was the exact reason WHY it was added in the first place.
well although im having trouble changing my pic. i really dont have that problem on mu hunter
It baffles me why they removed this option, when this was the exact reason WHY it was added in the first place.

I did think that it was odd that the name of the option didn't really reflect the reason that most people chose to disable it; the tooltip suggested that it only affected the switch between Auto Attack and Auto Shot. Really what I was looking for--and I assume others were also looking for--was an option to make choosing ranged targets an explicit action. It was almost like this was either an unintended consequence or a stealth feature, tacked-on to an existing feature.

I'm still holding out a hope that They took out the option in order to retool it and make it more clear what the player is selecting or deselecting with that checkbox.
Sometimes you don't even need to select an action to auto-select a new target and start auto-shooting at it.

I also noticed my pet on defensive sometimes chooses the oddest targets. A new mob spawns (e.g. the flesh worms when you kill some of the undead in Duskwood), they're attacking me, my pet ignores them until they actually take a swing at me.

Yet, I'm fighting elemental rifts, an undead is fighting them also, the elemental dies and my pet immediately goes after the undead. I'll check again, but I think if I had it on passive the undead would have ignored it. I even saw my pet go after a nearby chicken after killing a mob. What's up with that?
"Auto Attack/Auto Shot" option and NPC names - none option are just too complicated for us mere mortal players to understand.

"waves hand" "This tooltip doesn't mean what you think it means. Carry on"
I also have this problem. Even though I have "Stop Auto Attack" selected, I still sometimes pull trash mobs close to be because of this glitch. It is an incredible hassle.

I really hope this gets fixed.. Mainly before Cataclysm.
Sometimes when I know something is about to die I'll go ahead and manually select a new target on a set of trash that hasn't been pulled yet. (Most notably is the monk in ToC that meditates and slows nearby players before it dies). When I do this and I'm in range my auto attack will go ahead and fire, which looks like I pulled on purpose.

The only solution that I've found so far is to Esc to deselect my target and then I can tab/click my new target and it wont auto attack or I just make sure I'm out of range before I target a new target.
You can do a few things.

1. stay back, and as you get a better grasp on your range, you'll be able to know if you're too close and you might pull another mob.
2. Jump. I usually jump to cancel out the lovely spell queue thing they have now, or to keep myself from pulling a mob if I do happen to be to close.
3. move. just walk for a few steps and deselect your target.

You'll eventually get so used to this, you won't even notice that it. Other classes don't have this, imagine my surprise when I started leveling a mage and I would hit my spells, harder sometimes, and it wouldn't automatically select another target...sigh. It's a good thing, and you'll get used to it imo. Try those steps and see if they help out any.
You can do a few things.

1. stay back, and as you get a better grasp on your range, you'll be able to know if you're too close and you might pull another mob.
2. Jump. I usually jump to cancel out the lovely spell queue thing they have now, or to keep myself from pulling a mob if I do happen to be to close.
3. move. just walk for a few steps and deselect your target.

You'll eventually get so used to this, you won't even notice that it. Other classes don't have this, imagine my surprise when I started leveling a mage and I would hit my spells, harder sometimes, and it wouldn't automatically select another target...sigh. It's a good thing, and you'll get used to it imo. Try those steps and see if they help out any.

It needs to be changed to NOT affect auto-shot. That's not a good thing. Also, Auto-Shot should not automatically activate unless you right click the target or *SUCCESSFULLY* fire off another shot. Right now it just activates whenever you attempt fire anything, even if you're out of range, out of focus, or missing a target (hence, it chooses one for you, which it shouldn't). I like the auto targeting when i'm trying to get it to do that, but not otherwise.

one good example of when this shouldn't happen: you scatter shot an enemy to get it to stand still while you wind up an aimed shot against it. oh wait you spammed the button to cast it the moment you had enough focus, but since you didn't have enough autoshot activated and shot the target, breaking the CC.

another example: devs have said Cata dungeons and raids will bring back CC. You freezing trap a target and switch back to the main target, which is actually about to die. You wind up a steady/cobra/aimed shot to help finish it off, but it dies before you ever land a shot. Everyone else switches to the secondary target, but you autoswitch to the CC'd target and break it.

You're ideas are good for now, but it really shouldn't function this way.
Your a fail hunter if you want to have to select a target before you attack. Do you know how much trouble it is to manually select the next target? Your dps must sux if you have to do that. There are very few and far between areas where attacking the wrong thing is bad.

The only thing i could kinda see suxing is when you manually change targets and auto attack stays on. This is good and bad because it is nice to not have to wait for a shot to refresh auto attacking the new target and also bad that if you are changing targets to CC. However most CCing would be trap launching freeze trap which does not require changing target so i don't think it should be changed.
I know exactly what this is all about. I actually had multiple "unintended" pulls that way. If this was back in Vanilla, TBC, or future Cataclysm, I am sure I would have even caused several wipes. This will be an incredibly dangerous issue when dungeons get put back up on "hard mode."

This generally does not happen, but in some instances, you simply cannot help but be close to other mobs. 95% of the time, I'll be spamming Kill Shot near the target's death, so since Kill Shot does not work on idle mobs with full health, I really don't have much to worry about.

I do agree, that automatically targeted mobs should disengage auto-attack. Auto-attack should then resume if the hunter presses 'T' on the keyboard or uses an attack. Now that I think about it, is there not some kind of Auto-attack option in the Interface menu?
YOu are not a fail Hunter if you want to select target before attacking. Just give us the option of turning off auto Target select so we can manually select if we want to. There use to be a switch in UI that allowed Manual target selection. That is gone and replaced by a switch that turns of auto attack ONLY. It does not affect you auto selecting a new target if you have Mash an attack button besides auto attack.

Personally I have backed off on trash DPS and let auto attack finish trash mobs as to not retarget automatically.

Just give us the option of manually selecting next target. With new CC a broken CC before tank is ready can be a disaster.
Honestly I have to side with the prefer nots on this one. That mechanic has caused quite a bit of strife to several hunters. I've never had a hard time manually selecting targets...use focus on your tank (you probably should be anyhow most of the time) and go after his target.

I have however adapted to it by starting to walk as a target dies to make SURE any spammed shots or autoshots don't hit, and I instinctively look down to see if autoshot is still red on my bar before I stop moving. I believe it was said earlier that, while a pain to make this habit, it is worthwhile in the end.
This has happened way too many times, almost got me kicked from several groups even though the whole group enjoyed my trap + wyvern sting CC.

Even on regulars it would cause possible wipes, especially in Lost City of Tol'vir. I lower my damage about 1k just so I don't accidentally shoot that last shot. Mostly it happens with killshot, I'll spam it as fast as I can to finish the target but it dies by other means and then it happens.

I also turned my pet on passive for this same reason. Not only will you pull but feign death won't possibly save you if the pet is on defensive. This results in remaking my old Hunter mark + pet attack macro...

Here's to the buggiest class in world of warcraft!
Hasn't this been happening for, like, ever? Or WAS there an option to stop it and I was just so used to strafing a little as my target died that I never thought to look for it ...
I see a new thread on this everyday, and because so many people have this problem (including me), I have created a thread in the Bug/Suggestion forum to address the issue.

Please visit my thread there and lend your voice:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1406596305

Thanks,
Q