Time Gap WotLK > Cata

Story Forum
Post Limit:
Has there been any official word on this? If so and I've missed it, can someone link me in the proper direction?
Vanessa VanCleef states that her father died five years ago.

We know that, canonically, Vanilla -> BC was a year, and BC -> Wrath was a year.

We do not currently know how long Wrath was intended to have taken.

However, that still leaves three years between the start of Wrath of the Lich King and Cataclysm. We don't know exactly where Wrath ended, but we know where Cataclysm starts; five years from Vanilla, so three from Wrath's first events.
No official word yet, unfortunately. I hope we at least get some closure to this by the time the expansion launches.
Agreed. At this point in time my guild's trying to figure out how long the possible gap is, and what our characters would have been doing during this time.

While I have taken Vanessa Van Cleef into consideration, I don't feel a few quests to be enough 'proof', especially in light of what seems to me to be a shocking dearth of information otherwise. After all, this would not be the first time there was potential for a timeline 'whups'.

We know that, canonically, Vanilla -> BC was a year, and BC -> Wrath was a year.

I think Vanilla to BC was more like 2 years or more. Wrath wasn't out as long as Vanilla was by itself. Maybe both together= 4 and BC was just a year or a little over. :)

I think Vanilla to BC was more like 2 years or more. Wrath wasn't out as long as Vanilla was by itself. Maybe both together= 4 and BC was just a year or a little over. :)

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/story/timeline.html
25, 26, 27.
Vanilla -> BC -> Wrath.

Vanilla lasted a year, as did BC. :P
That's weird, didn't seem like it o well

We do not currently know how long Wrath was intended to have taken.

However, that still leaves three years between the start of Wrath of the Lich King and Cataclysm. We don't know exactly where Wrath ended, but we know where Cataclysm starts; five years from Vanilla, so three from Wrath's first events.

Respectfully, no. Here's why I say that (and not all of this is directed at you). WARNING: Long post inc!

First of all, the "canon" about this one year thing I keep seeing comes from this timeline:

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/story/timeline.html

Which, first of all, is old (c. 2007) and second is riddled with inconsistencies, especially with the ten or so other timelines posted in other works throughout the years.

Next up, Anduin. In The Shattering he's listed as "around" 13 years old. In original WoW he's listed as 10 years old. If we're following the official 2007 timeline, this matches up with Cataclysm occurring one year after Wrath begin, or in 28 ADP.

In the new Westfall, however, we're told that Vancleef died five years ago. Since Vancleef's death would need to take place between 25 ADP and 26 ADP on the official 2007 timeline, this suggests that the beginning of Cata occurs at around 30 ADP.

Finally, in The Shattering we're presented a lot of details about the world. First of all, we're told a few times that the events in this book take place shortly after the War with the Nightmare (namely that it's still fresh in everyone's mind). Per Stormrage, this occurs after the Lich King is defeated but prior to everyone returning home. Secondly, we're presented with a still-grieving Saurfang, which suggests that the battle at ICC was still fairly recent. Third, in the book Garrosh returns as a conquering hero fresh from the battlefield. I highly doubt the orcs would be holding a parade 2-3 years after the Lich King's defeat. This all suggests that Cata happens a few months to a year at most after ICC.

So my take on it all? The game's lore runs in real time. The events of Vanilla, TBC, and Wrath take place over ~2 years respectively. That would put us at 31 ADP in Cata. Anduin's age at the start of WoW is retconned to 7 years old. Vancleef's death would be somewhere in the middle of Vanilla, which seems appropriate. The LK was defeated around 9 months prior to the start of Cata, which seems like enough time for Stormrage to occur and enough time for the Horde and Alliance forces in Northrend to all return home. This rationale holds the least amount of retcons/plot holes, limited to a blurb in the original WoW manual and 2 minor tweaks to a 3-year-old timeline.

My revised timeline (Note: I am assuming the years begin in January):

25 ADP
<11 month gap>
-Anduin's age: 7
-Varian goes missing
-WoW begins
-Vancleef defeated

26 ADP
-Anduin's age: 8
-Varian discovered by Rehgar. WoW Comic begins.
-Ragnaros defeated
-Nefarian defeated
<Gap>
-War of the Shifting Sands
-Naxxramas
<Short gap>
-Draenei land in Kalimdor
-Dark Portal reopens

27 ADP
-Anduin's age: 9
-The Burning Crusade begins
-Gruul/Magheridon defeated
-Varian escapes the arenas
-Vashj defeated
-Kael'thas set back

28 ADP
-Anduin's age: 10
-Illidan defeated
-Onyxia slain, Varian becomes King once again
-Sunwell
-Worgen curse overruns Gilneas
<Gap of a few months>
-Nexus War begins
-Zombie event/Expedition to Northrend launched
-Wrath of the Lich King begins

29 ADP
-Anduin's age: 11
-Battle for the Undercity
-Nexus War ends
-Naxxramas/Sartharion defeated
-Yogg-Saron defeated
-Argent Tournament begins

30 ADP
-Anduin's age: 12
-Lich King is defeated
<Gap of ~2-3 months>
-Troops begin leaving Northrend
-War with the Nightmare
-Halion defeated
<Gap of ~5 months>
-Last of the troops recalled, events in The Shattering begin
-Garrosh orders Sylvanas to attack Gilneas
-Deathwing emerges
-New Old World events
-Cataclysm beings
-Goblins/Worgen appear

31 ADP
-Anduin's age: 13
-New raid stuff starts happening here.

That's my best shot anyways. Something has to be retconned somewhere, because as it is right now there's no way to have everything nice and lined up.

That ^ is also a very short period of time to have so much happening. It makes more sense when things are more spread out on the time line to allow for recovery. After all, more things happening in the last 20 years than in the previous 10 000 years. It's odd.
-Kael'thas set back

I know this isn't all that productive, but I had to laugh at this. :)
That ^ is also a very short period of time to have so much happening. It makes more sense when things are more spread out on the time line to allow for recovery. After all, more things happening in the last 20 years than in the previous 10 000 years. It's odd.

Heh. But you have to admit it'd be even worse if it were all crammed into 3 years instead of 5. According to the way I laid it out the events of Vanilla still take place over the course of a year, give or take ~2 months. If we were to stretch suspension of disbelief a little we could assume WoW begins at the start of 25 ADP and have the War of the Shifting Sands be the first event of 26 ADP. There's also the long between periods that I'm still lumping in with their respective expansions, since I don't consider the era over until the next expansion begins. So Wrath also took a little over a year but there was also the long cooldown period.

Also, at least in my mind, raids don't actually take months to complete. Lore-wise the final boss of each raid is killed in a full clear. The months between raid patches aren't us spending all that time in one place and then immediately jumping into the next, but rather a few days of actual fighting and then weeks of preparation and events building up to us going into the next raid.

Heh. But you have to admit it'd be even worse if it were all crammed into 3 years instead of 5. According to the way I laid it out the events of Vanilla still take place over the course of a year, give or take ~2 months. If we were to stretch suspension of disbelief a little we could assume WoW begins at the start of 25 ADP and have the War of the Shifting Sands be the first event of 26 ADP. There's also the long between periods that I'm still lumping in with their respective expansions, since I don't consider the era over until the next expansion begins. So Wrath also took a little over a year but there was also the long cooldown period.

Also, at least in my mind, raids don't actually take months to complete. Lore-wise the final boss of each raid is killed in a full clear. The months between raid patches aren't us spending all that time in one place and then immediately jumping into the next, but rather a few days of actual fighting and then weeks of preparation and events building up to us going into the next raid.

If you could stretch out the event as much as you could, what would be the idea time for things to happen? You can change character's age.

Usually, I base my time/space actions based on the Warcraft 3 world. There's a lot of little annoying things in the game that don't make sense - the most important one is traveling. In world of warcraft, you can cross the world in a few minutes, but in Warcraft 3, there was a long period of time that went by between the mission due to traveling.

Overall, I would stretch the last five years over 30 years. That would give enough to to setup the different fortress around the world, travel and the politics. I would then leave more time before the cataclysm.
Seems straightforward to me a quest in hyjal says it's been a decade since Archimonde died, from WC3 to vanilla was four years,that leaves six, so two years for every expac.
After all, more things happening in the last 20 years than in the previous 10 000 years. It's odd.

It's not that more's happening, it's just that we're around to see it. Stuff, much of it important to Azeroth and its citizens, occurred between the War of the Ancients and the First War, we just haven't had reason to touch on it yet.

EDIT: I keep forgetting to add in my sig line.

--------------------------------------------------------
“And the next time you find a human pup, LEAVE IT BE.” - Grom Hellscream, Lord of the Clans