Holy Healing Pal-man!

Paladin
Okay, the last time I healed was on a shammy pre-WotLK. I recently dumped my prot/ret spec for prot/holy cause I missed healing.

But I seem to recall that if I had the tank targeted, I could hit "F", target his target, get off a spell, then hit "F" again to go back to the tank (since the mob should be targeting the tank if everyone is doing their job). But lately this has not been working. I know about F1, F2, etc. but I always liked having just one key (admittedly the function keys aren't exactly complex). I'm just wondering two things:

1) Is this working as intended?

2) What other ways do you used to juggle all the different targeting you have to do (tabbing is much easier as a tank)?

Keep in mind that when I instance I nearly always only heal the tank, if there is down time between pulls I might refresh a Lock, but I try to give all my mana to the tank. My feeling is if they pull it off the tank, its their problem (usually I notice this only happens with overgeared farmers-in which case they're not really in any danger anyways) and they need to learn how to adjust their DPS. Not everything is a burnfest.

Wow talk about tangents......sorry.
hey
The paladin forums are not for helping other players, they are for whining about how underpowered your particular spec is.
Hey there -

I had this exact issue. It really helps when healing dungeons to keep your target on the tank and be able to throw in a crusader strike for the holy power or a judgement snare in battlegrounds.

I made this macro:

/cast [harm][@targettarget,harm][] Crusader Strike

This will allow you to cast while never changing targets. It also ensures normal functionality if your target is an enemy. You can swap out Judgement for Crusader Strike as well.

In addition, when it comes to healing other people, don't forget to use Beacon of Light. Put the beacon on the tank and pass Holy shocks to other members of the group and you'll see both health bars rise. To minimize changing targets, I use a mouseover macro for Holy Shock and Word of Glory to make it nice and easy:

/cast [@mouseover,help][] Holy Shock
/cast [@mouseover,help][] Word of Glory

This will make it much easier to heal the members of your group without taking your target off the tank, while maintaining normal functionality if you are targeting an enemy or yourself.

Hope this helps you. And don't trust the cynics, help will always be given at Hogwarts to those who ask for it.
Okay, the last time I healed was on a shammy pre-WotLK. I recently dumped my prot/ret spec for prot/holy cause I missed healing.

But I seem to recall that if I had the tank targeted, I could hit "F", target his target, get off a spell, then hit "F" again to go back to the tank (since the mob should be targeting the tank if everyone is doing their job). But lately this has not been working. I know about F1, F2, etc. but I always liked having just one key (admittedly the function keys aren't exactly complex). I'm just wondering two things:

1) Is this working as intended?

2) What other ways do you used to juggle all the different targeting you have to do (tabbing is much easier as a tank)?

Keep in mind that when I instance I nearly always only heal the tank, if there is down time between pulls I might refresh a Lock, but I try to give all my mana to the tank. My feeling is if they pull it off the tank, its their problem (usually I notice this only happens with overgeared farmers-in which case they're not really in any danger anyways) and they need to learn how to adjust their DPS. Not everything is a burnfest.

Wow talk about tangents......sorry.

I use VuhDo as my party/raid frames. It has built-in mouseover macros and you just assign the keybinds you want. That way, you can always target the enemy and never have to target the tank or a friendly. You heal by mouseover casting, and then if you want to cast a spell on the enemy, just cast it since you already have them targeted. Works great and saves time.