Now it gets interesting

Story Forum
1 2 3 5 Next
(Going from Alliance version of the pre-Cataclysm world event quests(because I'm not a smelly greenskin)).

After all that's been going on, now I've got Stormwind guards asking me to essentially go on a witch hunt. It's interesting just how dirty Stormwind is willing to play to take out these cultists.

They basically have us going to the gates and having people arrested based on nothing more than suspicion. Sounds a bit like a witch hunt to me.

But it is of course justified--these cultists are trying to bring the doom of the world upon everyone. Yet despite the psychotic nature of their belief, they are still citizens of Stormwind. Is it really the right thing to do for Stormwind to be so..."in-between" on their handling of this situation?

The cultist camp is right there in Elwyn. All it would take is a small force of city guard to run in there and just arrest and take out the cultists to disperse them. Instead--because they are hiding behind their citizenship--they are allowed to operate...right up until they get to Stormwind's gates.

As brute force as it seems, I think the proper thing to do right now would be to just take them out. But the Alliance can't just kill it's own, especially since they really are just misguided. But is it just as right to arrest people potentially innocent and throw them in the stockades?
(Going from Alliance version of the pre-Cataclysm world event quests(because I'm not a smelly greenskin)).

After all that's been going on, now I've got Stormwind guards asking me to essentially go on a witch hunt. It's interesting just how dirty Stormwind is willing to play to take out these cultists.

They basically have us going to the gates and having people arrested based on nothing more than suspicion. Sounds a bit like a witch hunt to me.

But it is of course justified--these cultists are trying to bring the doom of the world upon everyone. Yet despite the psychotic nature of their belief, they are still citizens of Stormwind. Is it really the right thing to do for Stormwind to be so..."in-between" on their handling of this situation?

The cultist camp is right there in Elwyn. All it would take is a small force of city guard to run in there and just arrest and take out the cultists to disperse them. Instead--because they are hiding behind their citizenship--they are allowed to operate...right up until they get to Stormwind's gates.

As brute force as it seems, I think the proper thing to do right now would be to just take them out. But the Alliance can't just kill it's own, especially since they really are just misguided. But is it just as right to arrest people potentially innocent and throw them in the stockades?

If Varian was perfectly fine taking the sword straight to Moira, why is he putting on kid-gloves when dealing with the cultists?

This isn't meant as incendiary - I'm genuinely asking. Is it that they're Stormwind citizens and not external to it?

EDIT: After some further thought - how has Varian dealt with the Defias? (rhetorical) - makes me even more curious now.
Garrosh mentions that going out and just eliminating the cultists could make the population of Orgrimmar (or, in this case, Stormwind) enraged, them seeing the cultists as martyrs.

So if we're taking what Garrosh says as fact, if they take out the cultists then the citizens are going to start rioting and carry on anyways.
Garrosh mentions that going out and just eliminating the cultists could make the population of Orgrimmar (or, in this case, Stormwind) enraged, them seeing the cultists as martyrs.

So if we're taking what Garrosh says as fact, if they take out the cultists then the citizens are going to start rioting and carry on anyways.

Oh, fair enough - didn't know he'd said that. That does make sense... it's always a balance, national security and the populace.
If Varian was perfectly fine taking the sword straight to Moira, why is he putting on kid-gloves when dealing with the cultists?

That's pretty simple. These are his people. He has no real desire to do this other than for the safety of his kingdom, and people of that kingdom, of course.
Varian was under the impression that the Dwarves would be alright with Moira being assassinated because she was acting as a tyrant.

I'm sure the fact that Moria directly threatened Anduin had something to do with Varian's actions. Like I've said, guy is a Papa Wolf writ large. Mess with his kid and Varian will cut you. And I have a personal theory that Varian has mentally adopted the entire Alliance as his "kids."

In any case, as Brookelyn mentions, the Twilight cultists are a more subtle threat. Moria was obvious and in your face. Varian could just raid their camp, but any survivors could just melt into the populace of the Alliance (I say Alliance instead of Stormwind since there's at least two Night Elves in the cult camp in Elwynn) and start fomenting even greater dissent. And Light forbid any innocents get caught in the crossfire...that'd be a bonanza for the Hammer.

EDIT: After some further thought - how has Varian dealt with the Defias? (rhetorical) - makes me even more curious now.

Granted I haven't had a chance to do any dungeon runs on beta, but I assume matching daddy-daughter pikes.
To be fair, if you read the text when you're questioning people and searching them, the people that get taken to jail have cultist paraphenalia. And most of the actual cultists seem like crazed zealots when you talk to them in the Stockades. I imagine anyone who just happened to be in possession of a cultist robe on accident probably wouldn't be so adamant about defending the "cause".

I would hope they'd be let go.

After a fair and speedy trial.

Hmmm...well, they shouldn't have come to Stormwind's gates with cultist stuff in the first place. Yeah. That was kind of dumb of them. I mean, that's like going to the airport with fireworks and wondering why they won't let you on the plane. Right?
The leader of the cult is Cho'gal. Varian knows this. He knows because we told him as much.

What's known of Cho'gal is that he's a monster from The Old Horde, working with him openly is technically treason. And that's without considering whatever the hell turned him into a beak-faced eye-ball covered gronn-spawn.

A visit to the stockades seems just about right for any of his devotees.
To be fair, if you read the text when you're questioning people and searching them, the people that get taken to jail have cultist paraphenalia. And most of the actual cultists seem like crazed zealots when you talk to them in the Stockades. I imagine anyone who just happened to be in possession of a cultist robe on accident probably wouldn't be so adamant about defending the "cause".

I would hope they'd be let go.

After a fair and speedy trial.

Hmmm...well, they shouldn't have come to Stormwind's gates with cultist stuff in the first place. Yeah. That was kind of dumb of them. I mean, that's like going to the airport with fireworks and wondering why they won't let you on the plane. Right?

But was it cultist stuff? Your character just says it's "suspicious". The only known item was a letter from an NPC that did end up being an actual cultist. But what qualifies as suspicious? A cultist pamphlet, like the one given out a week ago? What if an innocent citizen took something suspicious from a relative for the purpose of bringing it it to the authorities?

Truly, the only thing that should really be suspicious enough to arrest someone who is pretending innocence(that I can think of) are the hour glasses that have Elementals trapped inside them. Those things are like actual bombs. And of course, that letter that had Cultist plans written on it.

As players we are taking liberties on people and arresting them without solid reason. And we need to, because we know there are actual aggressors out there pretending to be friends when they're not. This is turning into a witch hunt, but a necessary one. And I find it interesting.
I know for the Horde version you specifically say stuff like "This is a cultist medallion!" and "What's this? A cultist pamphlet!?"

If they were given a pamphlet in Orgrimmar, left the city, and then came back... why didn't they throw it away if they weren't a cultist sympathizer?

At any rate, it's not completely ethical, and that's the point. Things are getting heated. There's a scent of desperation in the air.

Honestly, this topic sounds like it's just trying to vilify Varian. Yes, I think he's a hot-head who can't keep his temper in check, and I don't support him outright executing Moira (he should have turned her over to the dwarves to be punished imo), but this really seems like it's pushing it in terms of making him out to be worse than he actually is.

Garrosh is doing the exact same thing in Orgrimmar. They both use the exact same reasoning and justification for their methods. How is the way Varian's approaching it any different?
But was it cultist stuff? Your character just says it's "suspicious". The only known item was a letter from an NPC that did end up being an actual cultist. But what qualifies as suspicious? A cultist pamphlet, like the one given out a week ago? What if an innocent citizen took something suspicious from a relative for the purpose of bringing it it to the authorities?

Truly, the only thing that should really be suspicious enough to arrest someone who is pretending innocence(that I can think of) are the hour glasses that have Elementals trapped inside them. Those things are like actual bombs. And of course, that letter that had Cultist plans written on it.

As players we are taking liberties on people and arresting them without solid reason. And we need to, because we know there are actual aggressors out there pretending to be friends when they're not. This is turning into a witch hunt, but a necessary one. And I find it interesting.
May have been, may not have been, what the guards, the King and the Players are worried about is the fact that the Cult's numbers are growing drastically and they feel the need to take all measures necessary to keep the city safe.
I'm sure those citizens that are merely "suspicious" will be questioned and released and warned not to do it again.

why every alliance players seem every time they mention horde hero/race they always come with hateful/racism comment?
Horde call us pinkskins.
Honestly, this topic sounds like it's just trying to vilify Varian. Yes, I think he's a hot-head who can't keep his temper in check, and I don't support him outright executing Moira (he should have turned her over to the dwarves to be punished imo), but this really seems like it's pushing it in terms of making him out to be worse than he actually is.

Garrosh is doing the exact same thing in Orgrimmar. They both use the exact same reasoning and justification for their methods. How is the way Varian's approaching it any different?

Well, I think one could answer (fairly or not) that the difference is one would expect this from the Horde (well, some might) and that it shows a little more reality in the Alliance.

I don't think the thread was aimed at Varian, but more a commentary on the state of the Alliance (by means of discussing Stormwind.)

why every alliance players seem every time they mention horde hero/race they always come with hateful/racism comment?
Horde call us pinkskins.

I don't hear many Horde players use that term...