How do Raid Resets Work

New Player Help and Guides
New to raiding, I am wondering how they work in terms of resets.
If I raid today can I do the same raid tomorrow or later on that day?
There are different types of instance locks.

24 hours:
-BC and WotLK heroics

72 hours:
-Zul'Gurub
-I think AQ20 is on this timer as well

7 days:
-All other raids
-You can kill a boss once on each raid size/difficulty (kill a boss on 10-man, then go kill him on 25-man).
-Resets on Tuesdays during server maintenance

7 days with Flex Lock:
-Icecrown Citadel
-Ruby Sanctum
-Upcoming Cataclysm raids
-Once you kill a boss in either 10-man or 25-man, you cannot kill it again that week. Raid size does not matter, so once it's dead...it's dead.
-Does not apply to heroic raids. You can do a boss twice a week (once on 10-man heroic and once on 25-man heroic).

If you kill the first four bosses of a raid, you'll always walk into that raid and see those four bosses killed that week. If your friend killed the first five bosses, you can walk in and get saved to that raid to help your friend's group, but you won't get credit or loot for the 5th boss that died. You can save up like that, but you cannot save down.

If you kill the first four bosses of a raid and your friend has only killed the first two, you cannot go back and help your friend unless it's in a raid without the flex-lock and it's a different size. So if you killed your bosses on 10-man, you can jump to your friend's raid and kill past the first two bosses on 25-man, not 10-man.

Edit: Farstrider fix!
I think Ruby Sanctum is on flex lock as well, isn't it?
I believe all WotLK raids were moved to the flexible raid locks.

BC and Vanilla raids didn't have the option to switch between 10/25 modes....they were all separate raids. For example Kara was only a 10 man raid, but SSC was only a 25 man raid, and the The original Onyxia was only a 40 man raid. So you actually had to do some progression through 10 man content before you could raid 25 man content, very similar to how Heroic 5 mans are the first stepping stone to get into raiding today.

anyway, long story short, BC and Vanilla raids don't technically qualify for the flexible raid locks by design, however I'm sure all the new raids in Cata will be flexible like this as well.

No, but Cerylia was right. It was applied to Ruby Sanctum as well.
Blue post:
With the release of the 4.0.1 patch, the new Flexible Raid Lock system will debut in Icecrown Citadel and The Ruby Sanctum.
http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html?topicId=14713237976&sid=1

No, but Cerylia was right. It was applied to Ruby Sanctum as well.
Blue post:
With the release of the 4.0.1 patch, the new Flexible Raid Lock system will debut in Icecrown Citadel and The Ruby Sanctum.
http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html?topicId=14713237976&sid=1

I was just......uhh....testing you.....yea that's it...I was testing you to make sure you knew.....
I was just......uhh....testing you.....yea that's it...I was testing you to make sure you knew.....
C'mere and let Icy see that studly /flex ;)

I do pay attention, though now it'll drop to half the time because I'll be gawking at your avatar :P
C'mere and let Icy see that studly /flex ;)

I do pay attention, though now it'll drop to half the time because I'll be gawking at your avatar :P

/flex

/wink