Female Characters in WoW Part 2

Story Forum
Post Limit:
1 2 3 9 Next
So the beach was great.

But the thread was locked because people can't stay on topic. Or rather debating things that deserve threads in the old off-topic section.*

So here is a new thread about the wiley women of WoW.

Someone mentioned Stone Sisters or somesuch, is there a link? I'm blanking on them.

What existing female characters in WoW would you like to see have expanded storylines? (I'm personally hoping more happens with Moira than securing the throne for her son.)

*Don't bring the idiocy here. If you want to debate the merits of any -ism or life issue make another thread and leave this one alone.
Sisters of steel

The surgeon general gnome
Thanks, found it.

They sound awesome. The Sisters could have had a lot to do in Cata.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Sister_of_steel
I nominate Aponi Brightmane as the official badass of Tauren Women.

http://www.wowpedia.org/Aponi_Brightmane

Have you seen her during the invasion? She kicks ass. It would be nice to see how she becomes a paladin and forms the Sunwalker Order.
Am I the only one dreading that Aponi is going to end up being Baine's arm candy? Seems to be the fate of about 99% of female characters in World of Warcraft...
Am I the only one dreading that Aponi is going to end up being Baine's arm candy? Seems to be the fate of about 99% of female characters in World of Warcraft...

No, you're not the only one. As far as I know she doesn't appear in the recent novel and they don't seem to know each other beyond they're both helping to defend Thunder Bluff. Hell, she talked to me more than she talked to Baine during the invasion! :P

I'm being hopeful.
I want to find out that Mara Fordragon isn't really dead but has been walking the earth all these years like Caine in Kung Fu.
(I'm personally hoping more happens with Moira than securing the throne for her son.)

Yeah, after I read The Shattering, I was SO Team Moira. :) I really hope to see more good stuff done with her-- the book made it clear that though her initial methods weren't great, her ideas WERE, and I hope to see her become a strong leader instead of just written off as a relatively unimportant-despite-leader-status side-character in-game like, say, Tyrande. :( But yeah, my dwarfadin, once Cata hits, is gonna be all, "Well, her initial methods weren't the best in the world, but by the Stone, she's OURS, and it's about damned time we got a bit more female input in this boys' club we call Ironforge."

To be honest, I'd really love to see Maiev Shadowsong back in the game also. She was, after all, pretty much Put On A Bus (look it up in TVTropes), and I thought the whole "no purpose after Illidan was killed" deal was pretty crappy for a character who'd already been through some crap anyhow.
I want to find out that Mara Fordragon isn't really dead but has been walking the earth all these years like Caine in Kung Fu.

And I want to see Calia Hastings in Theramore turn out to be the long-lost Calia Menethil...
There's no reason to think that even if they get their freak on beneath their kodo sheets that she couldn't remain an important figure in her own right.

This is Blizzard we're talking about here, which means the second she hooks up, she's done for. And even if she doesn't, it's all but guaranteed that she'll be sidelined anyway.
There's no reason to think that even if they get their freak on beneath their kodo sheets that she couldn't remain an important figure in her own right.

This is Blizzard we're talking about here, which means the second she hooks up, she's done for. And even if she doesn't, it's all but guaranteed that she'll be sidelined anyway.

Pfft, everyone knows that once a lady hooks up with someone her life has been fulfilled!
Magatha is awesome. And I sincerely hope that they are not done with her.

I like Moira also and am glad she's become a larger character than just apart of a few quests.
Since so many women in WoW get paired off I would like to see one thing in lore.

A relationship between a mother and daughter.

Existing single female lore characters do not have mothers: Jaina, Tyrande, etc.

Existing mother lore characters do not interact with their daughters (if they have them) to any great extent: Alexstraza being a major one.

Lineal relationships have been very important in lore, but mainly for males: Varian and Anduin, Alexandros Mograine and Renault/Darion, Cairne and Baine, Tirion and Taelan, Terenas and Arthas, etc.

Edit: Forgot another important one: Fandral Staghelm and Valstann.
And maybe I am missing something, but what big relationship did I miss between Cairne and Baine in game?

They both exist in-game, which is more than can be said for many moms in Lore. Azeroth is, apparently, a crappy place to be a mother, considering how many widowers with kids are out there...

You people are going to have to quit pushing your pro-female agenda at some point. A fraction of the people who play WoW are female. Historically, for whatever reason, females do not play as important of a role in the grand scheme of things. It's no surprise that they don't on Azeroth, either.

Females play an important role in the grand scheme of things, it's just that history has, for quite a while, been recorded mostly by men. Not to mention society has, for quite a while, counted the accomplishments of men as more important, and has taken men more seriously, and there are quite a few matters in which either the men took and/or received credit for work done by women, or work that would not have been possible without the contribution of women. Rosalind Franklin is an example of this.
These days it still exists, though not quite to the extent as in the past, but to say that "historically females do not play as important of a role" is pretty...blind and ignorant.

For all your QQ, Jaina, Sylvanas, and Tyrande are huge figures in the WoW lore. They are just as well known, if not more so, than Malfurion, Varian, and Garrosh.

Well, quite a few of us would like to see the characters done justice. Sylvanas is more active, sure, but the Jaina I saw in-game and the Jaina I saw in Christie Golden's novels seems to almost be two different people. Tyrande...well, what has she done in-game? And it's laughable to say she's a larger figure than Malfurion in lore. While I'm not saying she should be a larger figure than he, it would be nice to see her be more active in-game.

And I would like to see more female racial leaders, to be honest. (I'm sure you don't see the need, after all, we have TWO out of the twelve, or 2.5 of 12.5 if we include Jaina! What more do we need...)