Taugrim's Prot Pally PVP Guide / Vids (Cata)

Paladin
Prev 1 21 22 23 24 Next
I got back onto my Pally in Cata recently and have been gearing him up for pvp. I play Tank/Heals, so while my Prot spec is for PvE raids, I still find it a lot of fun to play. With the Belf racial I have 4 different ways to shut down a healer or caster. Its very powerful when combined with another DPS along-side you. I've mostly been defending nodes and its been working out great. Our burst isn't great and I find myself sometimes unable to overcome a very well geared players defenses. In those cases, its very fun to know I can just break off and go do something else. Had I tried this on any of my alt's I'd most likely be mowed down. Thanks to prot's survivability its easy and fun.
10/06/2011 01:33 PMPosted by Ozrek
I got back onto my Pally in Cata recently and have been gearing him up for pvp. I play Tank/Heals, so while my Prot spec is for PvE raids, I still find it a lot of fun to play. With the Belf racial I have 4 different ways to shut down a healer or caster. Its very powerful when combined with another DPS along-side you. I've mostly been defending nodes and its been working out great. Our burst isn't great and I find myself sometimes unable to overcome a very well geared players defenses. In those cases, its very fun to know I can just break off and go do something else. Had I tried this on any of my alt's I'd most likely be mowed down. Thanks to prot's survivability its easy and fun.

Thank you for posting this, mostly because it demonstrates that prot IS IN FACT viable in BG's. And for making the point that not everyone plays this game for the numbers or to be "1337", some of us just like to have fun. Oh, no btw I am not personally a prot PVP.
Too many people !@#$% and moan about hybrid pvp specs.

Oh it doesn't do enough damage, your gear is ment for ret.. blah blah blah

Last I remember, I bought this game and this is my character. I've been playing Prot PVP since Wrath, and I will say that the Holy Power change kinda threw me for a loop.

But with the correct timing, trinkets, procs, I can land a 30k shield crit on someone followed by 10kish crits with my Crusader Strike.

I get beat on a daily basis, but I also stomped on more people then they do beat me.

You guys and your arena ratings are too much. Lay off the McDonalds and do something.
I just went prot pvp today and was wondering what would be a good 3's comp for me?
Just looked over the new talent system for Pallys in MoP. Looks like we're gonna be able to choose a proper gap closer. 4 sec speed boost of +45% with every judgment, regardless of range to the target. I'm a happy pally!
Have fun. Like I do, it is all that matters. There are ways to kill every other chatacter, especially in BGs. Spec ret for arenas, and have fun there too :)
it's just a game guys

I completely understand that Protection is in no means a viable mid-high end arena spec. However, is it still decent for simply having fun in Random Battlegrounds and the occasional world PvP? I kind of like being the overbearing meat wall that would gradually bring a target down - or at least an attention redirector from primary PvP targets.
Definitely still fun in bg. I only do PUG bg, but find I am quite effective. Of course much of it comes down to knowing what is needed in different bgs, which i assume would be less of separator in RBG. In PUGs there are so many twits just chasing uber DPS scores that my input can be decisive.
I have only recently sampled arena due to my friends having a pve preference. So i won't dare comment too much due to not having a 2200+ rating lol ( i have only hit 1300 thus far, and that has dropped due to a new inexperienced partner). For me it is not easy (especially as my partners are less experienced in pvp than me), but it is fun nevertheless. We are generally dealing with those not too experienced with arena or their spec/class at the bttom end, but it is still very satisfying to defeat DPS specs with a prot...

I guess if you are 'hardcore' then you will be using another spec. If not, then really who cares if we choose prot. If it works as much as i need it (and i dont play the game that much), then it is viable for me. I agree with Aulie.

Perhaps the line should be "if you want to get to the pinnacle of RBG or arena, try another spec. If you don't take the game that seriously, and prefer prot, why the heck not!"
I've just arrived back in WoW after a 9month break. When I played earlier this year I was also Protret for pvp because I love the prot spec and Ret is simply not for me. Skimming through the pages of this thread started to make me a little bit sad about picking up pvp again post WoG nerf but you know what, to hell with it!

This spec is fun! I'm not after uber arena ratings, I'm not aiming for the top 5% in BG's, I just want to be effective at what I do in general pvp. Sure I won't be unstoppable and I won't destroy opponents but I can still do what I always did which is target an enemy healer and drive them crazy with interrupts and stuns (4 for belfs)

TL:DR

Protret is fun, throwing my shield at healers is fun and I for one am sticking with it.
Heads up, the dev QA announced that WoG won't have a cooldown for Prot in 5.0.
Prot pvp is great, the WoG nerf was a shame, let's all cross our fingers for better horizons in MoP.
11/09/2011 08:49 PMPosted by Ozrek
Heads up, the dev QA announced that WoG won't have a cooldown for Prot in 5.0.

If that's true we'll be almost impossible to kill. I like it!
Thanks!! I been looking for this all over the web, first place i should have check was the official forums :D