80-85 DK Leveling Guide

Death Knight
I have composed this guide for DK's which provides the fastest methods to leveling in Cataclysm from 80-85. This guide is not meant for people who would like to take there time leveling but is leaning more towards the audience that is trying to get class firsts on their server. Obviously if you have quested in the beta you will have a better edge over others who haven't but with these tips you still are in the game.

Talents

Trash
http://wowtal.com/#k=ekN3SPH.a7t.deathknight.06ITb

I found that leveling is frost is the fastest way to kill. There are multiple reasons for this but the greatest of these is that it allows your Abyssal Sea Horse to travel 470% speed instead of 450%, thus giving you the edge over other questing people in your area. Since there are going to be hundreds of people in your area at the same time, it is crucial to pick up the [On a Pale Horse] talent to let you get to your destination faster to get that Mob kill before others do. Another great aspect of leveling in frost is the continual generation of Runic Power. This allows you to continually attack even if your runes are all on CD. Another useful reason for speccing like this is so that you never have to go chasing after your enemies, have them come to you by using [Death Grip]. After you kill a monster your [Death Grip] is always off CD.

Boss/Elite
http://wowtal.com/#k=aum_uAb1.a7t.deathknight.m3X9p

This is just a tanking spec leaning more towards soloing Elites or bosses you encounter during questing in Vashj'ir. This is very helpful even if you don't like tanking because it saves you more time instead of wasting time looking for someone to help you with your quest. Also helping others with their quest will decrease your chances of getting server first because it just makes them one step closer to beating you. The main aspect of soloing as a DK is to just keep [Bone Shield] up and keep using [Death Strike] to allow your mastery talent to keep you absorbing damage.

Presence

I found that leveling in unholy presence was the best. Your runes are constantly being refreshed allowing more attacks. With Frost presence you have to wait longer for your attacks wasting even more time, where as unholy presence will allow more attacks and do just as much damage not including procs and Runic Power attacks.

Quest Rewards

When turning in a quest that makes you select a rewards, don't waste time looking at the items stats trying to decide weather or not to replace your 277. Almost all if not most quest rewards are not good enough to replace your 277 until you get around 82-83 quest chains. So just click one at random and save yourself some time.

Professions

I would say stay away from any professions atm, especially gathering professions. These will only slow you down even more. You can always come back later and level your professions. Most people won't be doing them either so don't worry about playing the AH just yet.

DK Diseases

Unless you are fighting an Elite/Boss go ahead and not apply diseases on regular trash mobs you encounter while questing as they are not needed at all and just waste runes.

The Night Before

I am assuming that all of the servers are going to be down for at least 24 hours before cataclysm launches. I suggest that you take care of everything beforehand instead of wasting crucial time trying fix your bags, checking your mail, xferring gold from toons, etc. That way you can get right to Vashj'ir.

Single Target Questing

I don't know how everyone quests in this game but what I like to do is think about it logically. I would never attempt to complete a single quest and travel all the way back to turn it in. If you are in an area that is giving you multiple quests, complete all of the quests first and then go back to turn them in all at once. I know a lot of people who do it the other way and it really scares me to see them wasting so much of their time running back and forth. On the other hand if you are on two different quest chains which require you to travel to other sides of the map, just choose one and turn it in, then head over to turn in the other. Usually quest chains like that will just end anyways making you go finish the other one to start on your new chain. Also sometimes you will encounter drop quests or random quests on the side of your screen. Do NOT ignore those. These are crucial to proceeding to 85.

Also please bare in mind that questing is a lot different in Cata. There are a lot of cut scenes that happen and mini scenes that take place losing control of your character for a certain amount of time. These will slow you down but in the same way, everyone else has to go through these at some point as well.

I do hope that you guys find these tips helpful and hope to see you in Vashj'ir!
So you suggest Vash'jir over Hyjal?

Well you are going to have to do both eventually.
Good guide. Might actually try at server first now.
allows your Abyssal Sea Horse to travel 470% speed instead of 450%

The speed boost is multiplicative, not additive. 540% would be the buffed value.

That's not how it works. For instance a 310 mount with the 20% buff would be flying at 392% mount speed, because the mount unbuffed is going 410% running speed. While swimming is 50% ground speed, it's not the same.
That's not how it works. For instance a 310 mount with the 20% buff would be flying at 392% mount speed, because the mount unbuffed is going 410% running speed. While swimming is 50% ground speed, it's not the same.

If you read tooltips, it's exactly how it works. Also, it clearly states that it increases your movement speed buff by 20%.

100%*1.2 = 120%
310%*1.2 = 372%
450%*1.2 = 540%

It's precisely how it works; yes I've tested it.

http://www.wowpedia.org/On_a_Pale_Horse

Read it.
I googled for it, and I found an interesting script that tells you your movement speed.

/script ChatFrame1:AddMessage(string.format("Player speed: %d%%", (GetUnitSpeed("Player") / 7) * 100))
Basically the calculation works (ground movement speed + mounted speed) *1.2

Master Flying Mount: (100% + 310%)*1.2= 492% speed.

Pretty much everything in wow is multiplicative by the way.

Well you are going to have to do both eventually.

And from what I understand there are 2 opening zones, much like wrath. You either choose Hyjal or Vashj'ir and then go to deepholm from there.

DK Diseases

Unless you are fighting an Elite/Boss go ahead and not apply diseases on regular trash mobs you encounter while questing as they are not needed at all and just waste runes.

This really doesn't make sense, I would recommend at least putting up Frost Fever with Howling Blast. Not only are you doing a pretty significant amount of damage, but you are applying a melee slow to decrease your damage taken, and increasing your obliterate damage pretty significantly.

You also get outbreak at 81, so not using your diseases to your advantage is just pointless. There is a 1 min c/d, but HB will work when outbreak is on c/d.
Awesome post.
Can I suggest one other thing?

See if you can get as many WOTLK dailies completed as you can, but not turned in on 12/6.

At the start of LK, I had about 16 BC dailies (IQD, Ogri'la, etc) and that was a free 200k-ish xp right off the bat.

Argent Tournament would be great due to all the turn ins being in 1 spot.

AT dailies are worth about 22k a piece.
From what I understand the dailies at AT + Shadowvault will get you something like a third of a level. Add in the Gunship for more if you like. The only issue will be travel time, as we'll be ported to Orgrimmar at release (this is what I've been told, no evidence) and there will no longer be portals in Dalaran, meaning if we do Hearth to Dalaran, we will be then need to fly all the way to Borean Tundra to get back to Orgrimmar. (Sub Stormwind for Alliance, same deal.) THat travel time could be the difference between you being ahead of the questing pack, or smack in the middle of it. Personally I imagine being ahead of the pack will more than make up for that experience.
Argent Crusader's Tabard to get to the AT Grounds, set your hearth to Org/SW to get back. Shouldn't take more than five or ten minutes to turn in all your quests in IC depending on how many you picked up and completed before the patch.
Good idea with the tabard.
Hyjal/vashj'ir>Deep>Uldum>Twilight Highlands
Its all pretty linear.