Blue tweets on Mage 90 talents

Mage
First time I've seen this addressed in awhile, so passing it along, hope they scrap the tier completely, along with reworking several others as pointed out in Lhiv's thread

https://twitter.com/Ghostcrawler/status/395547474539991040

Daniel Vladimirov ‏@DanVladimirov 16 Oct
@Ghostcrawler you did especially good job with the mage 90 talents

@DanVladimirov Like many of our systems, there is certainly room for improvement on specific talents. The system overall is a keeper though.

@Ghostcrawler @DanVladimirov it was a sarcasm? Becouse i totally disagree with mage 90 talents. I always use Invocation no matter situation

Polarthief ‏@Polarthief 7h
@Ghostcrawler @DanVladimirov For the record, the Mage L90 talents are by far the worst tier in existence. Next worst tier? Mage L75 talents.

Greg Street ‏@Ghostcrawler 5h
@logistark I assumed sarcasm because we've received plenty of (fair) criticism on mage 90. But that doesn't mean the old trees were better.

@logistark I assumed sarcasm because we've received plenty of (fair) criticism on mage 90. But that doesn't mean the old trees were better.

I'm not familiar with how twitter works, but is that Ghostcrawler's response? Why did he bring up the old talent trees; did someone else bring them into that particular discussion?
DOWN WITH RUNE OF POWER!!

I'm not familiar with how twitter works, but is that Ghostcrawler's response? Why did he bring up the old talent trees; did someone else bring them into that particular discussion?

Its because his last comment said "the system overall is a keeper"

Aka the talent system is a keeper, which means it is better then than the previous system.

This is why its important to pay attention to the specific wording that someone uses.

Aka the talent system is a keeper, which means it is better then than the previous system.

This is why its important to pay attention to the specific wording that someone uses.

Yes, but the criticism was directed at the talents themselves, not the talent system, so it seems irrelevent to bring it up. Unless he's implying that we should just shut up and be happy with what we have because the new system is better than the old one.

Yes, but the criticism was directed at the talents themselves, not the talent system, so it seems irrelevent to bring it up. Unless he's implying that we should just shut up and be happy with what we have because the new system is better than the old one.

They were discussing the pros/cons of the old system vs the new.

Nahh...looks more like the tried and true "look at this ok thing over here and pay no attention to the royal catastrophy over here" garbage you see when people screw up and know it.

Nahh...looks more like the tried and true "look at this ok thing over here and pay no attention to the royal catastrophy over here" garbage you see when people screw up and know it.

It's not my opinion or my take on it. The OP left out the tweets about it.

It's actually a pretty long discussion. They started discussing the talent system, some one fired back that the mage talents sucked, GC responded back with admitting they made mistakes on a few talent tiers, but that over all they like the new system of talents vs the old one-point-per-level one.

The discussion wasn't about mage 90 talents. It was brought up as criticism of the new system of talents (which was the topic of discussion.) GC admitting that it's a fair point of criticism is a good thing for those of us that hate the 90 tier.
Editted OP to add the twitter convo link since its 100x more readable
Whats funny is all of us use the talents we selected this expansion. When in expansions past we talented things we never used to get further down the tree.

People seem to forget Reactive Ice Barrier, Wand Specialization, Blizzard slow and similar equal to worse talents.
Rune of Power is a little better with the greater range, but few things are more infuriating than a talent that puts an artificial barrier around where you can and can't move. I hate that its best for Arcane, because I love playing Arcane.
Is there any other class/spec where when a fight starts says, "hey wait a minute guys, I need to stand here invocating for a few seconds before I can dps"?

It's absolutely horrible when questing. "Oh there's the mob I want, let me cast invocate/RoP before I pull.... oh dammit somebody grabbed my mob already."
hello example.

Frost on timeless isle for obvious reasons. Q'd for halloween. Entered.
Me: Hi tank gimmer a sec to switch to arcane.
T: Sure thing, i'll just start the event, you have time.
Me: uh...

Switched talents. AB, rune, mage armor, boss spawns. 15% mana and in combat.

Mages should have an exemption from the buff wipe and mana drain when switching specs. We have enough to deal with already.
Whats funny is all of us use the talents we selected this expansion. When in expansions past we talented things we never used to get further down the tree.

People seem to forget Reactive Ice Barrier, Wand Specialization, Blizzard slow and similar equal to worse talents.

Yeah, but they took basic spells and put them in as talents. So of course we use them.
When I first saw the talent tree, I looked at it as optional spells to choose from. It really feels more like they removed talents but added optional spells.

The talents trees are completely different animals so there really is no point in comparing them directly. Discuss the flaws of each individually. While this new talent tree may be better than the old from one perspective. It still has many flaws that we should encourage blizzard to address.

If there is anything to miss of the old talents it would be the hybrid specs. But blizz had put substantial effort into limiting the ability to create one that was effective by LK.
10/30/2013 06:10 PMPosted by Mahdii

I think the reason most people object to the lvl 90 talents is because it takes away 15% of our dps, then puts it back as an annoying mechanic we never had to worry about before (except for arcane that is).

They feel like they were put in place to artificially restrict movement more than anything else. They could give us back the 15% baseline and just have us get stunned for 2s every 60s and it would be pretty much the same effect.
hello example.

Frost on timeless isle for obvious reasons. Q'd for halloween. Entered.
Me: Hi tank gimmer a sec to switch to arcane.
T: Sure thing, i'll just start the event, you have time.
Me: uh...

Switched talents. AB, rune, mage armor, boss spawns. 15% mana and in combat.

Mages should have an exemption from the buff wipe and mana drain when switching specs. We have enough to deal with already.

Frost should be perfectly fine for the halloween boss, why would you care that much about changing just for that?
I didn't really care that much. That's not the point. The point is we as a class shouldn't require that much prep time.
On my shaman. Switch to elem. Cast lightning shield and start shooting
DOWN WITH RUNE OF POWER!!

ALL OF MY YES.

AND MY YES AND YES AND YES.

OH GOD YES.

(I hate the rune, can you tell?)
I didn't really care that much. That's not the point. The point is we as a class shouldn't require that much prep time.
On my shaman. Switch to elem. Cast lightning shield and start shooting

I have an ele shaman too, and it makes me sad that he is SO much more fun to play than this mage, who was my first and is my main.

I was thinking... what if ABlast was like Lightning Bolt? What if it gave mana back? What if mages had a filler spell that gave mana back and caused damage at the same time? What if it not only gave mana back and caused damage at the same time, but you could move during casting it? Can you imagine that?

I was thinking about that, and it was like... wow. Why not make something like that the level 90 talent?
Or what if we could cast AE from 40 yards away. And it would explode again on targets in close proximity of the initial blast. And it also had a chance to proc a secondary explosion on the same targets that were hit.

That would be so OP.

No no no. Instead we should

Keep
Calm
And
Cast
Nether Tempest