Small Tips for Ret DPS

Paladin
I would like for people, especially you highly-skilled players, to use this thread to tell little tips or tricks you've figured out that help DPS that other players may not be aware of! For example, throwing an execution sentence down when you have a couple str procs up is going to do significantly more DPS than using it when none are up. I think this would be beneficial because we pretty much all know the basics, that is the easy part. Real separation from the pack comes from the little nuances that people don't normally think about.

Please, share your secrets so we might all benefit from it. We need to educate the masses on the power of the THE RET.
I unbound a+d (Left s cause S KEY IS THE BEST KEY) and made q+e left and right strafe. Use the right mouse button + the strafe and forward key for extremely improved movement ability. It's very helpful for pvp also to keep people from being behind you, and for dancing through casters even more effectively.
use CLCret
Do a lot of people really use that mod? I've never been a fan of it.
use CLCret

I've always used CLCInfo. Really don't wana make all new icons and stuff, is it really better?
"Better" is a matter of opinion; really, you should use what works best for you. I've never tried CLCInfo, but I know that CLCRet is ready to go as soon as it's installed and is quite functional with zero modifications, which makes it rather friendly for new players.
Take pants off at every opportunity and /dance.

Your DPS will rise at least 10% this way.
Trust your healers, and don't stand in fire. Also get a weak auras to track your ICD on trinket procs.
Know the mechanics. Things like knowing that the adds xfer damage to the boss can really help your dps. Swap your TV for DS and stand near the adds for extra damage.

On thok, ask for a symbiosis for wrath and use it during the blood frenzy phase. Don't bother with the jailer, the other melee can take care of it.

On nazgrim you can taunt him during Dstance and get the sundering buff, then dps for another 30 seconds while the other dps have their thumbs in their asses.

Little things like that can help a lot.

finally, take clemecy and bop for mdps friends to beat them in damage ;P
Know the mechanics. Things like knowing that the adds xfer damage to the boss can really help your dps. Swap your TV for DS and stand near the adds for extra damage.

On thok, ask for a symbiosis for wrath and use it during the blood frenzy phase. Don't bother with the jailer, the other melee can take care of it.

On nazgrim you can taunt him during Dstance and get the sundering buff, then dps for another 30 seconds while the other dps have their thumbs in their asses.

Little things like that can help a lot.

finally, take clemecy and bop for mdps friends to beat them in damage ;P

Haha I love that last one, I'm gonna do that.
I second the weakauras recomendation. I've got icons that show up for when my cooldown and holy power building abilities are up, and that's a timer on inquisition, or shows when it's available for use.

Also: be diligent about using the seals. Remember to switch between truth and righteousness at the appropriate time. This has boosted my dps doing quite a bit.
You can stick with Truth for quite a few adds by just swapping when its about to fall off, leaving censure to tick on several enemies.

One of the most overlooked things is a clean UI. Knowing what you need to know when you need to know it can make your rotation much easier, leaving time for you to focus on what's actually going on in the fight.
I recently had to completely reconfigure my UI, but I only had so much time before raid. These are the addons I needed to optimize my dps:
Bartender4
Weakauras2
ExtraCD
tidyplates
DBM

Also, being able to quickly think a few globals ahead can allow you to maximize dps beyond the priority.

Say you've got a DS proc and 3 holy power. You'll want to use that proc before you TV, so you don't waste the chance of another proc. But you really don't want to cap out on Holy Power, for obvious reasons.

The common priority dictates you use holy power generators before consumers, but if you can use your abilities in a way to use your strongest Holy power generators all the time, you'll gain dps. In this case you would want to CS>DS>TV>CS, rather than CS>J>DS>TV. This also applies for optimal ES and inquisition use.
You can stick with Truth for quite a few adds by just swapping when its about to fall off, leaving censure to tick on several enemies.

One of the most overlooked things is a clean UI. Knowing what you need to know when you need to know it can make your rotation much easier, leaving time for you to focus on what's actually going on in the fight.
I recently had to completely reconfigure my UI, but I only had so much time before raid. These are the addons I needed to optimize my dps:
Bartender4
Weakauras2
ExtraCD
tidyplates
DBM

Also, being able to quickly think a few globals ahead can allow you to maximize dps beyond the priority.

Say you've got a DS proc and 3 holy power. You'll want to use that proc before you TV, so you don't waste the chance of another proc. But you really don't want to cap out on Holy Power, for obvious reasons.

The common priority dictates you use holy power generators before consumers, but if you can use your abilities in a way to use your strongest Holy power generators all the time, you'll gain dps. In this case you would want to CS>DS>TV>CS, rather than CS>J>DS>TV. This also applies for optimal ES and inquisition use.

Not sure if your are serious about consumers and finishers.
Priority is this with 4pc t16
Inq > ES (> 5HP T16 Free DS) > 5HP TV > HoW (> T16 Free DS) > CS > Judge > Exo > 3-4HP TV (> SS)

Clearly priority goes to 5pt finishers. And the priority already states you will use your strongest generator first.

As far as ES use i use mine on cd. I have tried both and did not find a significant boost to my dps across the entire fight. Sure my ES hits harder when i finally line it all up, and it was easier without my Eye trinket. Now i just use it "boosted" on my burst pull, then on cd every time after that.

Small tip would be to use DP often.
That priority makes more sense. The one posted on Anaxie's thread and in Evrelia's guide state that Generators>FreeDS
if you press your keys harder, you're more guaranteed to crit your abilities.
Learn the number of GCDs in between your abilities to make them become second hand nature.

2 GCDs in between CS.

3 GCDs in between J.

1 GCD in between Sanctified Hammer of Wrath.

3 GCDs on all other Hammer of Wrath.

Use Divine Storm on adds at any Holy Power if you think they will die before you can get any more GCDs off. Also don't be afraid to use any HoPo finisher especially when you have higher levels of gear, 4pc T16 and/or DP when CS is off CD. Getting a string of procs is quite often when you have 4pc and DP so you are wasting DPS building HoPo judging instead of CSing.

Use Divine Protection and Bubble smart, there CDs are tremendously low with Unbreakable Spirit + Evil Eye so try and use them on any major spikes of damage as you should be able to cover most if not all of them with your 40% magic damage resist.
Knowing when it is okay to overflow your HP. For example you need to close on the boss, and you're at 5HP... Judge and exo may overflow your HP, but it's much better than doing zero dps, especially because judge will probably be up again by the time you are back on boss.
Using a combination of DP and SH is very helpful during periods of high magic damage. Not only for your own survivability and your healer's mana bar, but also as a way to stay within melee range of a boss, Garrosh's Whirling Corruption comes to mind, to maintain your dps output.

Glyphing into Double Jeopardy is beneficial if you can alternate your judgments between targets. Creating a mouse over macro to easily switch between a boss and an add is one of the easiest ways to do this.

This seems obvious, but always target the boss or add with highest health if you plan on doing aoe with HotR and DS.
I don't think anyone mentioned this but, purchase the four piece holy pvp set(allows fol to generate one hp) , and spam fol prior to the pull countdown. Cast inq them spam fol again till your at 5 hp, equip your normal gear pre pot and enter combat. You will need a lot of mage food to do this, but will enter combat with inq up and 5 hp during a pre pot burst period.