Warlords of Garrisons

General Discussion
Prev 1 8 9 10 12 Next
So basically the point of this expansion is t

In all technicality, you're heading to a place they just happened to land on while running from the legion. Not really a home, just a location they're hiding until it's time to flee again.

Sooooo..

The Draenei considered it home. You don't have to live in a place your whole life for it to be your home and put down roots. ;)

This past Blizzcon has left me and others with a lot of questions. Ok so the whole point of this expansion is to give the drainei some more story time since their introduction left a lot to be desired? That message wasn't sent loud and clear this past weekend because the story is still in development? We weren't shown pictures of any of the dungeons because there is nothing done yet or they haven't even been started? So you guys figured you'd just us what you do have right now and it's just orcs on a new dangerous world that somehow mysteriously connects to ours in the next expansion? The whole event seemed rushed in comparison to previous blizzcon where we got all the information we needed and then some to decide to move forward with it or not. Also I read some mention of many future expansions. Do the writers ever fear the dreaded bad sequel that will just kill the franchise?
Why are you guys so fond of starting storylines, never finishing them (aspects, old gods, wrathion, burning legion, etc, etc) and then moving onto something else that will inevitably introduce more chains of unfinished stuff?

Here is this cool prince wrathion guy who spends an entire expansion and legendary quest line trying to prepare you for this impending doom. You defeat Garrosh and then...OH WAIT. Gotta get some more use out of garrosh, let's forget about that whole 'impending doom' thing. In fact, did I say 'Impending'? I mean more along the lines of an expansion or 2. Lets call it 3 years. Maybe 4. I dunno, I might wanna start recycling some more characters who are/should be dead.
Wrathion saw the Legion coming. WoD reintroduces Gul'dan which likely means in the future the legion will return.. and likely Wrathion will return at that time.
Wrathion saw the Legion coming. WoD reintroduces Gul'dan which likely means in the future the legion will return.. and likely Wrathion will return at that time.

Right, so Wrathion 'saw the future' which was the past repeating itself, just a little different this time. Hopefully this isn't a trend starter, got forbid Blizzard has some original story or characters ever again.
Man, I wish instead of drawing the story out by giving us other enemies to kill, Blizzard would just release a single expansion that ties up all the lores loose ends*, and lets us kill Sargeras that way they can go back to not making any more new content for WoW because we've already killed the Big Bad and tied up all the loose ends.

Wouldn't it be so nice to have WoW be done and the servers shut down because there's no more story left to tell?

*Gnomes getting Gnomeregan back, What's Sylvanas up to?, Draenei Lore, Genn Greymane having some sort of role instead of being Varian's faithful dog, post mortalizing Dragon Flights, What happened to Calia Menethil?, Will Magni ever be turned back to normal?, What's Lich King Bolvar up to?, etc, etc, etc.
So...

Where did Wrathion go?

Why did you scrap the Burning Legion despite all of the chatter about their return?

Why did BlizzCon offer so little about actual content and instead focus mainly on Garrisons?

I gotta say, I am not really all that thrilled about another filler expansion that is more or less just a huge patch with new features.

This next expansion is definitely not filler. It always makes me a bit sad when I see people who say things like this, but we'll do our best to help you see the light with more information releases as we go along.

There's always some negative nancy that has to burst everyone else's bubble.
So...

Where did Wrathion go?

Why did you scrap the Burning Legion despite all of the chatter about their return?

Why did BlizzCon offer so little about actual content and instead focus mainly on Garrisons?

I gotta say, I am not really all that thrilled about another filler expansion that is more or less just a huge patch with new features.
Welcome to World of Star Wars Galaxies Craft. A lot of the stuff in this expansion was part of SW:G; most of which was available at release, circa 2004. It only took Blizz 9 years to catch up with Sony Online Entertainment.

Disclaimer: I have not played a Sony Online Entertainment game since November 2004 and do not intend on giving SoE anymore of my money.
11/11/2013 07:53 AMPosted by Nethaera
This next expansion is definitely not filler.

It just doesn't seem like the next expansion will progress the Azeroth story at all unlike all the other expansions. While piddling around in an unblown up version of Dreanor may be fun but other than stopping the Iron Horde from invading what will it's effect be on Azoroth? Will we learn anything new about Azeroth?

Then there is the silliness of taking a bunch of nomadic/pastoral clans and turning them into a ravaging, 'hi-tech' horde bent on killing everything in sight within a few years or so of Garrosh's arrival. wtf? At least on Azeroth you have the brilliant, mercenary Goblins willing to develop and produce war tech for the Horde. On Draenor your turning a bunch of Orcs who probably don't know anything more sophisticated than a hammer producing war machines in almost a blink of an eye.

Let me give you an idea on just how hard that would be. Let's say I wave a magic wand and you now know how to build a tank. All the details from metallurgy to electronics are at your finger tips. Now I give you a hammer, a shovel and a knife. Just how long would it take you to build that tank? What Garrosh gets the Iron Horde to do is even more laughable because do you really think he knows all the design and supporting technological details for war machines? Give me a break, he just pointed at some Goblins and told them to make them when he was Warchief.
11/11/2013 03:20 PMPosted by Faiyd
This next expansion is definitely not filler.

It just doesn't seem like the next expansion will progress the Azeroth story at all unlike all the other expansions. While piddling around in an unblown up version of Dreanor may be fun but other than stopping the Iron Horde from invading what will it's effect be on Azoroth? Will we learn anything new about Azeroth?

Guess we'll just have to play the expansion and find out.
So...

Where did Wrathion go?

Welcome to World of Star Wars Galaxies Craft. A lot of the stuff in this expansion was part of SW:G; most of which was available at release, circa 2004. It only took Blizz 9 years to catch up with Sony Online Entertainment.

Disclaimer: I have not played a Sony Online Entertainment game since November 2004 and do not intend on giving SoE anymore of my money.
Ah so I guess the storyline, level, loot systems, UI, and models are from that game then. Wow Blizz can't believe u do dis.
Why was the OP reported? His concerns are perfectly legitimate. Wrathion and the legendary quest were hyped up throughout MoP and implications were made of an impending Legion invasion, and now we're backpedaling and going in a completely different direction. Why address a storyline so explicitly only to completely drop it in the next xpac?

Also, I can't help but feel that this xpac will be more filler even than pandas. Draenor has already had its story told. Why invent a random (and lame; Garrosh breaks out of prison right after we work so hard to defeat him and somehow goes back in time? What? How did he smuggle so much modern tech back with him? How did he stop the Legion from exerting influence over the orcs, I doubt they'd just let the orcs say no and then leave and return to the drawing board...) that necessitates revisiting an issue that has already been dealt with?

It's almost the same as Garrosh going back in time and us having to follow him and redo the whole WotLK war again. Been there done that. There are other major storylines that need to be progressed, like the Old Gods, Titans, and the Legion. Are we ever gonna see them again?
So...

Where did Wrathion go?

Well if you think about it the alternate reality of Draenor B has a burning legion too.

So.. we could end up fighting 2 burning legions as WoD's bridge to the next expansion.
11/11/2013 04:30 PMPosted by Velaethia
Not getting something now doesn't mean it's not possible some time in the future.

I'm going to take this completely out of context and continue to hope for demon hunters in the future, as I have for the last 3, now 4 expansions.

^

Valid concern and I can address that only a little right now, but it's worth noting that there are plans for some female characters as well. Historically the clan chiefs are all male, so I can see how with the announcement video that it looks very male heavy. But, there will be female characters that will have their time as well. I'm not going to say 50/50 or equal time since I'm not privy to the specifics right now and wouldn't want to spoil anything anyway, but I can say that the designers are working on it. I don't know how much was covered by [url="http://www.applecidermage.com/"]Applecidermage[/url] when she spoke with quest designer Helen Cheng but from speaking to her (and she's someone that's been critical of this herself), she seemed pretty happy about what she's heard.

Thank you for addressing this, and I hope Blizzard comes through for us on this issue.

Many in the other thread, including CMs, were trying to throw around the big female lore names as a sort of retort to this question; I'd like to ask these people if they've been playing the game recently. Lets have a look at the major female characters in WoW.

First we have a long list of women created (and/or sacrificed) for the sole purpose of male character advancement:
Aggra, Anveena, Taretha, Garona, Aegwynn (+ Iridi, Lilian Voss, Suna, Keristrasza.... mankirk's wife...)

Then we have two formerly powerful women ret-conned into uselessness or reduced to being "that crazy chick": Jaina and Tyrande.

I have a female friend who started playing in the MoP cycle; she never knew these characters before they were reduced to what they are now. Powerful, intelligent; a warrior priestess and one of the most prominent mages in the world; leader of the largest human settlement in Kalimdore. Now what? Obscure arm candy in a shimmery dress/heels, and a vengeance-crazed witch, complete with suddenly evil voice, portrayed as mindlessly crazy. Sylvanas has been missing in action since early Cataclysm. As far as the new player knows, there are no relevant strong female lore characters, good, bad, or otherwise, with the possible exception of Yu'lon.

And the devil's in the details; think of the End Times instance, as well; 3 of the 4 nutters you put down are extremely important female characters. When we get interesting/relevant female characters, they usually don't survive, or even get mentioned outside the zone they are relevant in. Most NPC races don't even have female models, and if they do, well... think about where the only two female mogu were, and what their job was.

Noting this,it would be unfair to ignore that Blizz has had a few notable exceptions to this rule; Alexstrasza, Therazane, and Onyxia are all multi-dimentional characters with interest and power. "Minor" players like Chromie, Vareesa, Taoshi, and Captain Rogers have been getting more air time. We even got a reminder of the savagery of night elves (it is easy, now, to forget that they are a female-dominant race), with huntresses making several appearances in groups of panther-riding death machines defending and attacking key targets. This is a good thing.

That said, there is room for all of these types of female characters in a world with reasonable female representation; the weak, the submissive, the strong, the all-powerful, intelligent, foolish, crazy, dignified, evil... women are, after all, people, and are as diverse in constitution and personality as men.

But when we only get a small handful of relevant/important female lore characters, and the vast majority of them end up dead/crazy/irrelevant so that a male character can take the stage or develop, that is a big problem.

I have no issues with the warlords being male; that's just sort of how orcs work (though you need to realize that this is a construct of real world thought processes actively deciding that female leaders had no place in orc society, apparently not even the magic-dominated clans that were less reliant on physical strength). But I crave female representation as well; one female draenei leader is a start, but if that's all you're planning, it is damn well not enough.

There are many things that can be done to increase female presence in World of Warcraft. Make female ogres for us to fight. Maybe Arakoa are a matriarchal race? Let the players see the story of Draka in-game and know that Thrall's innate strength didn't just come from his father. Put in a 50/50 split of equally useful male/female followers for Garrisons. Give us more female town leaders and questgivers. Bring back characters like Vareesa and Rogers, so that their story continues, and give us more of their like.

Your story can only benefit in interest and complexity by actually including women on a noticeable scale; there are no downsides.
11/11/2013 04:10 PMPosted by Zomborg
Also, I can't help but feel that this xpac will be more filler even than pandas.

If you thought that MoP was filler then that leads me to believe that you weren't paying attention to any of the lore going on throughout it. This was a very Old God/Titan heavy expansion in which we learned a lot about what happens when you kill an Old God and more about Titan technology and what they were up to when they were shaping Azeroth. A recent Know Your Lore post on WoWInsider brought up some really interesting idea about how the old gods may be related to the celestials, because both seem to represent emotions. While the celestial traits or emotions are positive, the Old God's are purely negative. We don't know for sure what that link is, but it's something I'm hoping will be touched upon more in future expansions. Maybe not this upcoming one, but that's ok, I can wait.
The OP really doesn't pay attention. The obvious route isn't always the best way to tell a story. Sure it sets stuff up for later, but it doesn't mean it has to be followed up with "right now". Wrathion is no prophet, he never said exactly when the Legion is coming, only that it is.

I'm intrigued with how this new chapter will tie into the whole saga. Delving into alternate timelines at a time where even the Bronze Flight is pretty much blind on the matter is going to make for quite the ride.
nd there are a ton of quality of life improvements.

Speaking of quality of life, when do we fly please.
This next expansion is definitely not filler. It always makes me a bit sad when I see people who say things like this, but we'll do our best to help you see the light with more information releases as we go along.

Not to be rude but that is the fault of your marketing department, not us. You honestly cannot be surprised that announcing an expansion with less features then previous offerings is going to leave a good amount of players feeling under-whelmed and short-changed. Especially when the excuse of new models keeps being bought up, a feature already two expansions late.

I mean I could be completely off base and WoD could be all rainbows and unicorn kisses but from a marketing standpoint, I have to wonder what your higher-ups were thinking. If long-time players are feeling the expansion is uninspired filler, how the devil do they expect to attract those who have already left the game back to it?