Wintergrasp

General Discussion
Prev 1 116 117 118
11/17/2010 2:11 PMPosted by Zarhym
In patch 4.0.3, Wintergrasp queuing was changed so that each battle attempts to match the factions at a 1-to-1 ratio. This is the exact system being used for Tol Barad in Cataclysm. While we understand that this inflates queue times for factions which are vastly overpopulated on select realms, we prefer this system over using Tenacity. In addition, the new system at least encourages playing on a faction that's better balanced against the opposing faction. With the old Wintergrasp functionality, players were almost encouraged to be on an overpopulated faction, further contributing to realm balance issues.

That said, we'll review realms with significant faction imbalances on a case-by-case basis in the event we need to take further action.

Tol Barad preview: <a href="http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/1159457" target="_new">http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/1159457</a>

I support the change. I just wish it had come when promised, when Alliance on my realm still cared about doing VoA. The change, although a very good one in my opinion, came way too late in the game.
so, i know Wintergrasp isn't exactly high end content anymore and consequently isn't at the top of the priority list, but i think the 1v1 match up queueing needs to go now...

why?

because yesterday, i was in a 5v5 match...the 5 Horde were all lvl 78-80 (i assume people like me, who haven't bought Cata yet), the Alliance were all lvl 83-85 (why they were doing Wintergrasp, i don't know, but they were)

i'm sure you can imagine how imbalanced that was, it was like one side with Tenacity, only there were equal numbers
(to our credit--or the poor performance of the Alliance--Horde actually almost won, we were in the middle of braeking down the relic room door when they took down the last tower and ended it)

while they are in vehicles it's not so bad, since the vehicles themself are only lvl 80
I used to to Wintergrasp every week on all 5 of my toons that could do it. But I have to admit since the change I haven't played so much. It used to be fun. You get all ready to go and you don't get in then you feel like a jerk for waiting around. And now with NO PORTALS you can't even go check to see how many players are there and if it might be worth waithing and trying to get in. Once in a while it might be fun to play WG with 6-10 players on a team, but I don't think that is what it was intended for. It was always more fun when it was bunches of players.

The best thing about WG was it was so big that it had a huge learning curve. New players could learn the ropes without having an effect on the outcome. When it's only 6 on 6 suddenly the new player can't take the time to learn. It just becomes just another PvP match and looses all its attraction to the PvE players who liked WG because it was more like a big PvE battle than a PvP match.

On my realm sometimes we would cream the Horde and sometimes they would cream us. It seemed that the Alliance would win at certain times of the day and the Horde would win at other times. I realize that you are never going to please everybody and each realm is different. But the old was was better. If players really want even matches ther are lots of them out there that use small even groups. The whole point of a War is that sometimes the underdog can find a way to out fox the big massive group.
Thank GOD they took out tenacity, that was the worst thing I've ever seen in any BG because despite the fact that we outnumbered them, if you were caught anywhere 1 on 1 with an ally you were dead, you had no chance.

My opinion about tenacity from the start was, " Why should I get punished and easily killed just because a few allies didn't want to come out and play?"

I don't mind waiting for a BG as long as it's fair.
12/12/2010 11:42 PMPosted by Noesus
Thank GOD they took out tenacity, that was the worst thing I've ever seen in any BG because despite the fact that we outnumbered them, if you were caught anywhere 1 on 1 with an ally you were dead, you had no chance.

My opinion about tenacity from the start was, " Why should I get punished and easily killed just because a few allies didn't want to come out and play?"

I don't mind waiting for a BG as long as it's fair.

yea, except you still have tenacity now with Cata out, it's called lvl 85s vs lvl 80s
only, you can't outnumber the guys with bigger health pools and more damage

i'm not saying every match will always be imbalanced, but with 1v1 matching, it can easily become like this, even one 85 can be a problem for the other side if they are all 80-81s or something
I know this doesn't relate to the topic but I was wondering if anyone can help with with the problem I'm having installing BC. When I get to %77 a message apperas saying, " The Blizzard installer has encounterd a problem and has stopped working. " My internet connection is fine, can anyone help me?