I am absolutely BEGGING for an ability squish

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 40 Next
OP, this will happen; it's in the game's code that this ability squish needs to occur, as there is literally a numerical limit to what can fit within the limits of a 32 bit code structure.

I know the post is out there, but, there's a size cap to the length of a number 32 bit binary based code can represent. I'll go dive for that post.

Edit:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/10497400191#15

I think you're thinking of the iLevel squish that will reduce damage/hp/healing and basically all the numbers.
OP, this will happen; it's in the game's code that this ability squish needs to occur, as there is literally a numerical limit to what can fit within the limits of a 32 bit code structure.

I know the post is out there, but, there's a size cap to the length of a number 32 bit binary based code can represent. I'll go dive for that post.

Edit:

I think you're thinking of the iLevel squish that will reduce damage/hp/healing and basically all the numbers.

Yep; the ability squish is something they've apparently started considering with the severe dearth of new abilities, however, there's still a great many. Sad thing is, sometimes one does not need that many to do a great job. That said though, sometimes just a good job will not cut it.

Edit:

You didn't read the OP, I see.
OP, I can't agree more with you!!!
As long as they don't remove our utility and just get rid of things like, say, combining Battle Shout and Commanding Shout into a double buff like Dark Power. Or maybe boring abilities that are currently just there to make rotations more interesting.
I fully support this for classes that have WAY too much crap to keep track of / buttons to press.
Does nobody use F1- F8? is that just me?
Imo GW2 to too few abilities to play with
I understand this is a polarizing subject and that vanilla and TBC were a bit facerolly with rotations. My pally buddy told me in Vanilla how he mapped his main heal to his mouse scroll button and just targeted the main tank and scrolled away. But it felt like WoW had too little, TBC was still too little, WotLK was starting to hit that sweet spot, and then Blizzard went off the deep end and continues to flounder.

I propose a theory that ability squish might actually allow blizzard to allow for less facerolly and better tuned LFR/Flex because more people will be able to execute their rotations and abilities properly. Right now I can guarantee you most of the population isn’t laying out entire keyboard’s worth of keybindings or tuning addons for their proper rotations. You have a big disparity between people that don’t’ want to use third party programs, or sign up for the 8 week correspondence course, and those that have spent hours getting things “Just right”. To be clear I am in the latter, but going through the process I thought “Is this really necessary”, and switching to a new class alt just makes me think “ugg this again”.

DK's don't really have a rotation, they have a Priority system. It's more complicated then "A,B,C,D," and then back to A and repeat.

There's more to the game than just good rotations. I like it and wouldn't want that to change. This is not the most complex game ever, but more simplification would make it not like WoW and more like another game entirely. Which I would not have fun playing.

I understand your point OP, but you and me couldn't play the same game and look at it the same way. I look at LOL and play that, and feel like it's way to easy with just 6(sometimes more) abilities. I wouldn't play the game if it's simpler. And Blizzard isn't floundering(come back when GW2 has WoW's active population)

Not trying to say this out of disrespect, but this is why I play the game and some of my buddies play Guild Wars. So the last thing I want blizzard to do is "follow the competition". In this, and to me, WoW beats GW any day of the year.

I've also rerolled DPS PVP spec recently, and while not a big PVPer, it does take work and I get you point. But if I'm playing a complex character with vast experience in a game with a complex story and a complex history I want to feel like learning something new should be really hard. So I disagree with you completely on this point.

11/25/2013 09:34 AMPosted by Baldur
I go back to the idea what when everyone’s 15$ are equal, what percentage of the population is executing their abilities and rotations properly?

No, your $15 don't buy you a game where you get to pick and choose the stuff you want on a whim. You are also not a Professional in the field so your opinion has only so much weight. You actively CHOOSE to pay $15 for what you're getting.

11/25/2013 09:34 AMPosted by Baldur
I do recognize that there are options to bind your keys to all sorts of combinations, but I just feel it’s a bit unnecessary and complicated, which takes away from my enjoyment of the… you know… game. I just picture some matronly school teacher with a ruler making us sit properly as we play the WoW ability piano, timing our rotations to the tune of “ode to joy”. Some of the interfaces that track abilities are starting to look like sheet music.

This is just rhetoric. And the last part where you reference Superbad. I play Piano and never felt like this. Sorry if I'm coming off very aggressive like but I can't disagree with you more.
If I wanted to only have 3 buttons to press to succeed I'd go play D3 instead.
I do think that the 4 of guild wars or Diablo is far too few. However, we have a lot of room for compromise between 4 and 20~30ish that need to be managed now…….

WoW was at it’s most popular back in WotLK, nearly 12 million people were playing, a far cry from the 7.7 now. I don’ t think many people were rage quitting and posting threads about “Not having enough buttons” back then.

I don’t think finding a spot somewhere above vanilla/TBC (Maybe even a couple above what was in the core of WotLK) and bellow the but load we have now is a terrible thing. I’m ok with options, my problem is when your options begin to start drastically outweighing the number of options that can be reasonably accessed through your input devices without third part assistance or unnecessary hassle.
They could get some "morphing" if the druid happens to be stealthed or not. For example, Shred could become that stealth "Ambush" (I forgot the name), and the Combo Point Stun (forgot too :<) becomes Pounce. This could reduce amount of skills.

On my druid (as feral) I'd have macros which checked stealth and combat and selected the appropriate ability. Whether player scripted morphing of abilities is better than intrinsically coded morphing would come down to opinions.

I like where I'm going with use of abilities for elemental/resto shaman but I was having a minor crisis with figuring what healing spells to use on my druid (as resto ... had 7 respecs on that character)
Do the big, bad numbers scare the wittle Shaman?

/whoosh

I don't think you read his post at all!
I do think that the 4 of guild wars or Diablo is far too few. However, we have a lot of room for compromise between 4 and 20~30ish that need to be managed now…….

I don’t think finding a spot somewhere above vanilla/TBC (Maybe even a couple above what was in the core of WotLK) and bellow the but load we have now is a terrible thing. I’m ok with options, my problem is when your options begin to start drastically outweighing the number of options that can be reasonably accessed through your input devices without third part assistance or unnecessary hassle.

I think what you're asking for, is top end PVP and PVE experience without the work involved. I know I'm fairly new to Endgame content in WoW(Although I've been successful in other MMO's) but I expect a decent amount of work and challenge in a game like this, and look forward to it.

WoW was at it’s most popular back in WotLK, nearly 12 million people were playing, a far cry from the 7.7 now. I don’ t think many people were rage quitting and posting threads about “Not having enough buttons” back then.

But they did want more abilities back then. Check it out. And people I'm sure have quit in previous expansions because they thought the game was too simple.

Also, I think if you put a thread in the healer forums you'll get some helpful tips on how to manage your spells. Which was what you were referencing in your OP.

I go up to F5 for my various stuff.

As a resto shaman utility is like 50% of the reason I'm invited to raids, and I like that niche ability. I have 33 keybinds and a regular ol' mouse n' keyboard, and I do fine.

Doesn't feel like I'm playing piano either, With those 33 bindings most of my stuff come from about 10- Healing Stream Totem, Healing Wave, Greater Healing Wave, Lightning Bolt, etc.

And what would you propose be "squished" for me? Combining totems would be disastrous and my main healing spells all serve their individual purposes.
11/25/2013 12:11 PMPosted by Yangfei

I go up to F5 for my various stuff.

As a resto shaman utility is like 50% of the reason I'm invited to raids, and I like that niche

Nice :) I knew i wasn't the only one!