Why is it that there are no occupied towns?

Story Forum
Post Limit:
This is normally the point where I whistle, glance off to the side, and casually remark on how the orcs killed every man, woman and child who didn't flee Stormwind in the First War, but how the Alliance merely imprisoned the orcs after winning the Second War, using their own money to do so.

But I'm a night elf, and we don't keep prisoners either, so I can't.
There's no sense in occupying a town of people that despise you when burning the town to the ground and building a military outpost is a feesible option.

And even if it were something like Stormwind or Ironforge, you wouldn't leave the general population alive. You'd wipe them out and put your own people in.

Sure, there's a point in occupying a town of people that despise you. Income. Taxes. Taking resources, though, granted, building an outpost does that too. Unfortunately, if you sack cities, leave nothing but a few outposts, what have you? Your already existing towns, which are already strained by the war effort, and... a few military outposts, which may have been used for (in Tarujo's case) hunting, (or in Southshore's case), a thriving port that could bring in fish, those things that an army can eat!

You have enough people to fill up a city and make it a (if not thriving) then working economy? Yeah, your people are probably still buried in work and taxes. Plus, forcing them to move probably would make you... well, hated.

This is normally the point where I whistle, glance off to the side, and casually remark on how the orcs killed every man, woman and child who didn't flee Stormwind in the First War, but how the Alliance merely imprisoned the orcs after winning the Second War, using their own money to do so.

But I'm a night elf, and we don't keep prisoners either, so I can't.

I find it odd, too; you'd think that Doomhammer, brilliant strategist, leader of the Horde, and a great fighter, would take towns and do more than just torture the inhabitants. It's like he had no plan for post-taking over the world!
It cost more to occupy the town insteand of just purging it.

Indeed. Fortunately, said town(people) most likely won't just sleep all time, but rather work like they have all their lives.

(yes, this -is- Olmelliah)
Stormwind would "occupy" Alterac City.

Stormwind would not "occupy" Stonard.

Occupation implies you can convince the population you are controlling to see your way and someday follow your ideals. You occupy territory to bring it's resources and people into your fold to grow your numbers.

All the races in Warcraft however are extremely stubborn. The more you push them, the more they take offense and push back. You won't find a group of Alliance priests preaching and convincing Horde civilians to join the alliance. In Warcraft, half the time you extend a friendly hand, the person you extend it to suspects treachery if you don't look like them.
Stormwind would "occupy" Alterac City.

Stormwind would not "occupy" Stonard.

First of all, I was about to post the M. Bison video. :|

[quote]Occupation implies you can convince the population you are controlling to see your way and someday follow your ideals. You occupy territory to bring it's resources and people into your fold to grow your numbers.

*coughs* points at twilight cultists, cult of the damned, Kel'Thuzad, and many, many Warlocks *coughs*

All the races in Warcraft however are extremely stubborn. The more you push them, the more they take offense and push back. You won't find a group of Alliance priests preaching and convincing Horde civilians to join the alliance. In Warcraft, half the time you extend a friendly hand, the person you extend it to suspects treachery if you don't look like them

Sure, many people in the World (of Warcraft) are stubborn. So were French during WWII, Chinese during the Mongols' brief stay, and... actually, everywhere the Mongols went to. Hell, they went with it. Often (key word, not always, and not everyone), they'd harass their conquerers. Compliance doesn't have to be willing, like I've said multiple times before.

You also got people who are willing informants, enjoy exotic people (http://www.wowhead.com/item=49924/brazies-notes-on-naughty-night-elves). Those oddballs who don't particularly care who's in power, as long as they're surviving.

Ah, there is also one other reason.

There are too few towns to take over. At most, there are three, four settlements affiliated with a single faction per zone, and that's only their home zone (Elwynn Forest, Durotar, etc), and most of the time there are two or one. Taking over one town would deprive the other faction of their base, and while a new one could be built, I highly doubt it's worth Blizzard's effort.

uuummmmm... what? Yeah, I know that it takes effort and balancing to do stuff like this. I'm asking for lore reasons (reasonable ones, ones that -don't- involve sterotypes) that this stuff doesn't happen.

On a side note, this actually HAS happened once. Then it was ruined by Varian.

Moira and Ironforge.
Probably because in Warcraft neither side has really taken a city yet.
Funnily enough the Forsaken did try to go for the occupying route in the first days of the Gilneain Campaign . They gathered up the civilian populous and put them to work in the mines and sought the Scythe to bring the Worgen in line .

The players efforts put the kibosh on that and the resulting rebellion lead by Liam landed a harsh blow on the main army . At that point the Forsaken said screw it and went for the slaughter everything with DA PLAGGGAA approach .
Funnily enough the Forsaken did try to go for the occupying route in the first days of the Gilneain Campaign . They gathered up the civilian populous and put them to work in the mines and sought the Scythe to bring the Worgen in line .

The players efforts put the kibosh on that and the resulting rebellion lead by Liam landed a harsh blow on the main army . At that point the Forsaken said screw it and went for the slaughter everything with DA PLAGGGAA approach .

That's not so much occupation as it is enslaving. :| I suppose it's more realistic than just wiping everyone out, though.
Oi. Could you imagine this place if there were occupied towns in game? Particularly if they weren't part of some grand phasing quest line where part of the point of the zone was to liberate them? And even then people would complain that their faction was unfairly getting their butts kicked just so the other side could look good.

It'd be utter bloody bedlam. Of course, maybe that's an argument for why they should do it.
Oi. Could you imagine this place if there were occupied towns in game? Particularly if they weren't part of some grand phasing quest line where part of the point of the zone was to liberate them? And even then people would complain that their faction was unfairly getting their butts kicked just so the other side could look good.

It'd be utter bloody bedlam. Of course, maybe that's an argument for why they should do it.

Lots of things are absolutely maddening. Makes things more interesting. :D

I don't expect anything like it, but I would absolutely love it. ^_^
Because skillfully assimilating your defeated enemies is one of the things that made historic figures like Alexander the Great and Ghenghis Khan so powerful. They didn't just defeated their enemies, they turned their enemies into their friend.

Garrosh gets his military strategy out of HULK comics more than Sun Tzu's Art of War, so expecting more than burned ruins is expecting far too much from him.
The ultimate reason that there's no occupation of towns in Warcraft is because Blizzard doesn't want the massive pile of political flak that would entail.

Occupation requires demonstration of unrest from those occupied; it requires either guards forcibly putting down those who try to rise up, or bribes and infiltration of the occupied to keep them from becoming a threat to the occupiers. It may even lead to things like suicide bombings and the like, depending upon the citizenry and their outlook on occupation.

Basically, Blizzard doesn't want to stir up a !*%#storm. Thus, we don't see occupied towns in Warcraft.

There's also this, from Verus:
You are assuming that the newly conquered races would willingly contribute. This isn't just a matter of humans capturing humans. It's humans capturing a completely different collection of species. And vice versa.

Which is pretty much true.

Anyone ever watched Battlestar Galactica? Remember the stuff on New Caprica?
The Human-Cylon tensions? The decades of hatred, forced out into the open by an occupation of a civilian settlement?

Yeah. That would apply to any occupations in Warcraft. Lots and lots of brutality on both sides, and a lot of death for both sides.

In essence; exactly why Blizzard won't portray it. It's too politically controversial.