Moon Guard FAQ (by Kharnis)

Moon Guard
1 2 3 5 Next
Highly Rated
Orinigally posted by Kharnis:

Please Remember: Ultimately you are becoming part of a community and that is defined by the sum of its parts. So help build and foster a better community for everyone. That doesn't mean server community. It means in the community you build with friends.

Edit: Be open minded, welcoming, and remember to give folks a chance. Remember, there is a person behind every character and that sometimes people have bad days. Ultimately , make sure you enjoy yourself and allow others to do so as well. The game is big enough for everyone.

Edit 2: However, there are some guilds and folks on Moon Guard you may want to avoid to make your time on the server enjoyable. Please feel free to mail me ingame or message me if you see me on to find out whom. You can also find players on tumblr for reference. This is especially important as there are some folks who are known to condone the use of slurs and are harass others. Harassment takes the form of slurs against lgbt, mentally handicapped and those of different racial background. Please do not hesitate to contact me so you may stay clear of something that may ruin your time on Moon Guard.

Edit 3: Ignore the elitists and folks who tell you that you are doing it wrong. Ultimately, it comes down to enjoying yourself and finding like minded folks.

Thanks to Eredis for suggesting this.

So, you are thinking of transferring or rolling a new character here, are you? Good for you. Moon Guard is a great community, and because of the size of the player base you can literally find whatever kind of RP you're interested in. Unfortunately, if you're just coming here for the first time, you have no idea what's happening. No doubt, you have a few questions you'd like to ask about the server. Hopefully, this thread will help answer some of those questions for you.

1. How is the RP on this server?

In a word: thriving. Both Horde and Alliance have players that are RP heavyweights. Even the raiders RP here, and some of them even RP in instances or raids.

2. Where will I find RP?

This generally depends on which faction you are. Horde tends to be random RP everywhere in Azeroth or Outland. You could be in the middle of Hellfire Peninsula, and the chance is good that you'll be able to RP with a fellow Horde who just happens to be in the area. Alliance, on the other hand, tends to centralise the RP in cities, especially Stormwind.
Some good starting points suggested by Avaryce are:
Alliance: The Cathedral, Gilneas, (sometimes) Feathermoon Stronghold, Darkshire/Raven Hill. Horde: Fenris Isle, Brill, Sunshine Row, (heh heh) and the Drag. It's not an extensive list and there are downsides to all of them but if someone wanted to fling themselves on the mercy of the tides, it's a good place(s) to start.

The Alliance tends to have more RP events than the Horde does. There is rarely a month that goes by that a major event isn't being run by an Alliance guild, and these events draw characters from all other guilds to participate. Alliance is more structured with the RP, which makes finding it a little easier and helping to make you feel as if you're a part of a real society. Horde, on the other hand, is chaotic RP that can really help to make your character come alive and make your playing time memorable as you interact with a variety of strange and/or wonderful people.

3. Which is better, then?

That's up to you.

4. How do I find out for myself?

This one is easy to answer. To find out, roll a character on each side. Level it up a wee bit first. I recommend to at least level 10. Interact with others, both in the world and in the cities. You'll know which side you prefer in no time.

5. Okay, what if I wanted to join a guild? How will I find one, and how will I know if it's the right one for me?

To answer the first part, just keep checking these forums. Most of the guilds advertise here whenever they're looking for new members. As to how will you know if it's a good fit for you, there are really only two ways to figure that out. One is to read their advertisement. They will spell out what they're looking for, what their rules are, and (if they have one) a link to their web site. Really, though, the only sure fire way to find out if a guild is a good fit for you is to talk to some of their members, especially their officers. Talking to the people who are a part of the guild will give you far more insight into the guild's personalities and concepts. From there, you can make a more informed decision.
6. Hang on. You said "find out if a guild is a good fit for me." Don't you mean that to be the other way around?

Nope. I don't. You are the only one responsible for having fun. If you're going to have fun, don't you want to join a guild that will enhance that fun? Sure, you may have met some great people from a law-abiding military guild, but if you want to RP a thief who skulks about the shadows do you think that guild will be a good fit for you?

7. How's the progression on this server?

I won't lie to you. We're a Role Playing server. Our progression isn't as far as the PvP realms. With that being said, however, you won't be disappointed in the level of progression here. Just because we're RPers, that doesn't mean we don't know how to raid or complete the end game events. We have a lot of guilds on both factions who are well geared, well prepared, and who regularly raid and run instances.

8. What kind of add ons should I get? Is there anything that's made for role playing?

Definitely. Have a look at the Curse gaming website under the roleplay tag.
You may want to hold off until you get your feet wet with roleplaying or ask any new friends you made on moon guard what they would recommend and/or use themselves.
Avaryce suggests: Tongues, MyRolePlay, Griffonheart Items as the standard go to addons ( suggested at the start of WoD

9. What if I don't want to RP? I have friends here, and I'd like to join them. Will I get hounded by the people here?

Absolutely not. If you are here to have a good time with your friends, and you don't make fun of RPers or grief their events, you're more than welcome here. The only non-RPers we have a problem with are the ones who specifically come here to make life difficult for us. If you don't want to RP, but you respect the fact that others do, we have no problems with you here at all.
10. Is there anything in the rules I need to know about playing here?

There are RP Realm-specific rules that Blizzard has set out. The rules can be found here:

http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_US&articleId=20458.

Summed up, the rules state that you must have an appropriate name for your character (i.e. No naming your character "Lolipwnu," or "Nelfpally," etc.), you cannot grief RPers or RP events, and that OOC chat in /say or /yell should be kept to an absolute minimum.

11. Is there anything else I should know about?

Yes. For the love of God, and all that you hold holy, stay out of Goldshire. I mean it. Sooo laggy.

12. Concerning the no OOC chat in /say, does this mean I have to speak in "thees" and "thous?"

No, you dont have to speak that way and most people dont . Ultimately it boils down to your character and how you want to roleplay their concept.

Besides, it's easier to just speak normally. We aren't playing Shakespearean roles here, after all! (Unless of course you are then have fun !)

13. I'm going to transfer here, but not do any RP. Don't worry, though, I'm only after an easy title grab, and then I'm out of here. You have no problems with that, right?

Wrong. A lot of people think that, because we're an RP realm, we spend all our time in the cities RPing and not actually playing the game. Those people are wrong. We have a lot of good players here, and your "easy title grab" is by no means guaranteed. If that's all you're after, we really would rather you went elsewhere.

Moon Guard is a very full realm, and we only want people here who'll be here for the long haul. We have no problems dealing with queue times, but if that queue is being taken up by people who will only be here for a short time, that will annoy us. And since many of the titles need you to group up to win them, it could be hard for you to get that group if word gets around that you've inconvenienced everyone else for something as trivial as a title.

That wraps up my list. If anyone else wants to add to this, don't hesitate to do so. I'm old, and probably forgot a few things! Hehe!

PS. We get queues when new content comes out or when something interesting is happening in the game world. Know this in advance when you decide to come here so you know what you are getting into.

PPS. Our cross realm zones include wyrmrest accord, farstrides, sisters of elune and cenarion circle I believe. So you will also have access to those rp communities in the world while you play here. We do have other pve servers in our cross realm zones but their names escape me at the moment.
Please remember that this sticky was created a while ago.
If there is anything you wish to add or feels needs to updated, post an update on the thread.
If there is anything you wish to ask this doesnt clarify, please post on the forums and ask. There will be many folks who offer answers.

Thank you very much for putting this up here! You have done a very good job outlining the server, and I don't really think there's anything that needs to be added. Only thing I can think of would be that if you are new and having trouble finding others to RP with, one of the best things to do is go to SW or Silvermoon, and simply RP with yourself! If you don't disrupt others RP or force your way into conversations, most the time you can find people who will join you. And Rumours keep an eye out for me, I'm surprised I haven't seen you around before ;D
Thank you but I cannot take credit for this.
Ive tried to make sure Kharnis gets the credit since he is the original author. Im not sure if he still plays kharnis but Im making sure his work on this survives ^^
I clicked like because I'm not sure how to report for sticky. Hopefully it'll take its proper place soon.

You may want to correct the RP mod segment - currently, IRP is not in service, MRP uses its own protocol, and FlagRSP uses the channel still.
Updated with the info provided!
Bump
Bump for sticky
Supporting thread with my tusks. New Moon Guardians! If you read this. Erthas welcomes you.
I clicked like because I'm not sure how to report for sticky. Hopefully it'll take its proper place soon.

What I've been doing is clicking like, then going to dislike and clicking report. Under the dropdown menu there, there's an Other option. I check that off and specify report for sticky.
bump
Bump
Bump
I strongly encourage you to change the thread title just a bit.