Can Druids AOE tank?

Druid
I'm going to player a Troll Druid when the patch releases and I was wondering, can Druids AOE tank? I was thinking of leveling up as balance, but feral sounds a lot more fun and I will be able to get in dungeons faster as a tank while leveling up. I tanked a lot as a Death Knight until I got bored around level 64 and I loved being able to AOE tank.
AoE tanking is a serious PITA at the moment. With swipe on a 6 second CD, you're only aoe is from thorns, which you must drop form to refresh, which dumps all of your rage.

I'd level balance, dual specc'd as resto to get u into instances a bit faster.
I'm considering that also because the main reason I want to be a druid over a priest is because I prefer having all of the HOT abilities and versatility of a druid. I guess I will just figure out where I want to go by level 10 and what sounds the most interesting. I do prefer healing over tanking; if I'm going to be a druid, I'd rather instant/semi-instant queue as a healer/tank instead of waiting as a DPS. Plus, getting gear would be much easier I'd think because there are no other leather-wearing casters once shaman get to level forty and hunters no longer need intellect. :)
AoE tanking is a serious PITA at the moment. With swipe on a 6 second CD, you're only aoe is from thorns, which you must drop form to refresh, which dumps all of your rage.

Swipe makes AoE tanking pretty easy as a Druid - the problem we have right now is that we don't get swipe until level 36.
Our HoT's took a hit with 4.0 as well. Regrowth is now only a 6 second buff, and i believe lifebloom can only be used on one target... we still have them, but they're not as great as they were.

Something to consider.
Okay, originally in Vanilla, druids had the easiest time in "AOE" tanking (really, just 2-4 mobs at a time) because of swipe spam and warriors and paladins not having good aoe abilities. But there was little gear/poor specs for tanking, so there weren't all that many of them

Then BC: paladins get crazy good aoe tanking. warrior aoe tanking is bad. Druids are fantastic for 3 or fewer, decent for 4-5 at a time.

WOTLK: warrior aoe tanking gets massive buff. Paladins still great at it. Druids similar to BC. DKs good.

Cata: Swipe nerfed into the ground, not useful for more than 3 at a time. Warrior and Paladin abilities (and DK too, although I haven't looked too closely at blood) are nerfed for more than 3 mobs at a time, but at least the other 3 classes have abilities that are actually useful for 4 or more at once
Tritium pretty much nailed it.

The fact is blizz doesn't want us aoe tanking... or dpsing. I'm guessing there will be a lot more need for CC in cata, and bursting targets down one at a time.
Cata: Swipe nerfed into the ground, not useful for more than 3 at a time.

ummm, you know swipe still hits more than three mobs at a time...

:) the 'nerf' to swipe simply makes it a little more challenging to deal with adds that staggered over time. The total numbers of those adds isn't a big deal.
I have 0 problems AOE tanking, I'm going MT in Cata, but right now I'm in full offset gear, and I can hold and out TPS DPS with 6200+ gear scores with a GearScore of around 5600. I find swipe is decent for initial aggro, but threat plates makes keeping threat easy. Lacerate puts out massive TPS.
Thrash will hopefully solve our AoE tanking problems when we get to lvl 81.
Good tanks are not having issues with AoE tanking at 80 right now.
Their is glyph of maul, which hits one additional target..and glyph of thorns, though I'm sure if you went into a raid with glyph of thorns you'd get laughed at.

Basically this.

Basically this.

You're assuming you're not in a heroic with trigger happy DPS who don't like to let the tank pull or attack what the tank is attacking. Previously, this could be dealt with with relative ease and a little paying attention.

Now, in order to effectively AoE tank, I have to hit tab before I hit an attack skill hotkey. We're the only tank in the game that has to hit 2 buttons for every attack to be effective in a major aspect of tanking. If I find that cumbersome, I'm a poor tank?

I can deal effectively with the same scenario easily on my pally tank who is geared in avg lvl 233 gear, simply because I have the tools necessary to a) get on the threat table of all mobs quickly, b) effectively position all mobs including casters within my AoE range even with HoTs ticking and DPS firing, c) generate enough AoE threat to hold them there until dead.

This is a problem of a bad design decision adversely affecting a very common style of play and requiring the player base to work around it by using single target attacks in rapid succession on multiple targets at a time. It's cumbersome and a quality of life issue that makes playing a game not as much fun as it was. No one's asking for face roll. We're asking for something that we can do to recover from any of the things that can happen during an AoE trash pull.

Save the condescension for the trolls, please.

Basically this.

You're assuming you're not in a heroic with trigger happy DPS who don't like to let the tank pull or attack what the tank is attacking. Previously, this could be dealt with with relative ease and a little paying attention.

Now, in order to effectively AoE tank, I have to hit tab before I hit an attack skill hotkey. We're the only tank in the game that has to hit 2 buttons for every attack to be effective in a major aspect of tanking. If I find that cumbersome, I'm a poor tank?

I can deal effectively with the same scenario easily on my pally tank who is geared in avg lvl 233 gear, simply because I have the tools necessary to a) get on the threat table of all mobs quickly, b) effectively position all mobs including casters within my AoE range even with HoTs ticking and DPS firing, c) generate enough AoE threat to hold them there until dead.

This is a problem of a bad design decision adversely affecting a very common style of play and requiring the player base to work around it by using single target attacks in rapid succession on multiple targets at a time. It's cumbersome and a quality of life issue that makes playing a game not as much fun as it was. No one's asking for face roll. We're asking for something that we can do to recover from any of the things that can happen during an AoE trash pull.

Save the condescension for the trolls, please.

Good tanks can manage, bad ones can't. I have no issue with AoE or single target tanking in heroics or raids. It's really not hard.

EDIT: Of course retarded DPS can burst a random add at the start of an AoE pull and get agro on it. It has always been that way. Be quick with taunts or let them tank it/die.
Now, in order to effectively AoE tank, I have to hit tab before I hit an attack skill hotkey. We're the only tank in the game that has to hit 2 buttons for every attack to be effective in a major aspect of tanking. If I find that cumbersome, I'm a poor tank

hmm, if you're having trouble hitting two keys within our unfortunately long 1.5 second GCD - try either downloading a better nameplate mod (threat plates for eg) and targeting with your mouse - or setting up some mouseover attack macros to save yourself the extra keypresses.

look at it this way - we're the only tank in the game with a strong enough AoE threat move that we get the luxury of three spare GCD's in between the required AoE spam in which we can use single target or other special abilities to help refine our threat.
:)
But as far as AoE tanking goes while leveling, I haven't found it too bad, so long as you have a decent to good healer. I originally had the maul glyph, but when I realized how useful thorns was I changed to that. I will pull a few mobs from a range with moonfire or faerie fire or insect swarm or whatever (or if I am high for the dungeon I will just change to cat and sprint through a bunch of mobs), pop a quick (rejuv if I have time first) thorns and switch to bear mode. With this method I haven't had any real problems tanking, and happen to often be top DPS at the same time. As far as getting swipe late... yeah that sucks, especially since no one wants to wait for you to get any threat.
I'm still pissed off that you have to drop bear form to apply Thorns. In the past, I don't think it was such an issue because thorns did have a longer duration before they changed it. The Old version and new version work differently though, and with the shorter duration timer, and the fact we have to drop all our rage to use it, makes me believe that Thorns was actually redesigned with resto druids in mind.

I also have to say that I've seen numerous people saying, "Oh it's fine, stop crying about the changes", or "Good tanks can adapt and bad ones can't." I can't see the logic people apply before making comments like that, because nobody is crying, "Waaaaa! I can't spam swipe anymore! Waaaa!" Instead people are complaining that they have too few tools now to cope with random variables that we all know exist no matter what tank class you play. Everyone knows about the healer who decides to top off everyone on HP during the people, the hunter who wants to solo dungeon/raid mobs, and DPS who don't want to let the tank pull.

I think the one thing Blizz should of done is take into consideration that they can make all the changes they want, but they can't fix what IT people call "PEBKAC" errors (Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair). After the changes, I've gone into dungeons, and have stated before the first pull that I need 10 seconds to let threat settle on me, watch what the DPS target, and be careful of AoE in this expansion. Many DPS reply to me, "I can't make any promisses." The old saying goes, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink." So how do you compensate for those stubborn horses? I think that's why a lot of druids are calling it a nerf. It's not the changes, but rather how Blizz went about making them.

Don't level as bear solely. If you tank your way up you will get very annoyed due to the way swipe is atm and rage gen at lower levels. If you already have the rage, or the party gives you a second or two before going nuts, it isn't so bad. That initial start off can be annoying most of the times.
At 80 it's not as bad.