Thinking about a shaman...

Shaman
Okay, help convince me play a shaman. I started leveling and I love playing as enhancement. My biggest frustration is dropping totems every single fight. Half the time when it's a single mob, I don't even drop a totem. I almost feel like it's faster to kill the target than to sit and drop a few totems.

When do you decide between killing the target and dropping totems? This may seem like a stupid question. I'm sorry if it is. Is dropping totems every fight annoying to you or is it something you love about your class? I'm slightly annoyed by it. If it's something that people love (obviously a defining characteristic of the class), then maybe it's not the right class for me?
Totems at low levels are not used much. By the time the GCD spent on them is done, mobs are usually almost dead. I would just start straight DPSing or drop Magma+FN for AoE damage.

I'm a bit neutral on the whole Totems issue. I think utility totems such as Tremor, Stoneclaw, Earthbind, etc, are fine as you drop them for a short time depending on context. However, buffing totems (Windfury, Flametongue, etc) feel a bit tedious since you need to place them again each time you reach a group of mobs, and many other classes/specs bring the same buffs as totems since 4.0.

But outside of totems, Shamen are a fun class to play.
Nobody likes constantly dropping buff totems. I'd be straight lying if I said dropping a stick in the ground repeatedly somehow gives me "enjoyment." It's just something we've all learned to deal with eventually.

That said, if you're just questing/soloing you don't need to drop totems, ever. Hell, even for five man content I wouldn't bother, but it mostly depends on how fast things are dying really. PvP and raids are different of course, but I get the feeling that wasn't what you were talking about.
I'm not sure what level your shaman is, but at 30 when you can drop all 4 at once, and if you are enhance for basically no mana cost there is no reason not to drop them. It only costs you a global cooldown

For a single trash mob pull, na, no real reason to.

For enhancement, as well as resto/ele once you get decent mana regen, totems provide nice effects. Even if you rather hit stormstrike or whatever first there is plenty of time to drop a set of totems that will boost yours or parties performance.

They only cost one global cool down, it's not like its hard to press that one button between lava lash and flame shock
There is no reason not to drop them as you run in. It was horrid when they each required a 1.5 sec GCD to drop individually.
I found that for solo work I only dropped the totems when trying to take on red mobs (4+ levels above me) or elites 1 below to 4 above me. I find this even more necessary now that I'm in Northrend. In dungeons I only drop them for packs of 3+ mobs. I just can't justify a GCD to kill 1 or 2 mobs that'll die before my totems can make a real impact.
Well I do actually enjoy totems, the way they are now is fine. The buff totems' duration makes them really not a hassle, and the utility totems are just part of the kit. People either love or hate them but if they annoy you, then DO NOT play this class, it'll always be a sore spot and prevent you from fully enjoying it. That said, I've been having a wonderful time and will probably main this class in Cata and beyond.
Totems are something for you to use when you need to.

When you need to. When you need to. When you need to. When you need to. When you need to. When you need to. When you need to. When you need to. When you need to. When you need to. When you need to. When you need to. When you need to. When you need to. When you need to. When you need to. When you need to. When you need to. When you need to. When you need to. When you need to. When you need to. When you need to. When you need to. When you need to. When you need to. When you need to.

I hope that's clear enough, so if you don't need to, then don't drop it! Can't believe people are getting frustrated over totems.
times to drop totems:

- plant em in a grinding hot spot
- before pulling a elite mob
- at bosses in 5mans
- in raids, during a pull that could take upwards to 1.5-3min to get down, and at bosses

- and drop them in org and transform into a ghost wolf and /dance in the middle
At low levels ONLY use utility totems. Until you get a totem set you can drop the buff totems aren't worth the time. They possibly aren't worth the mana until you find a spot that you can pull mobs to it, or taking on multiple.