Was I intentionally suspended for 24 hours?

Customer Support
Account Banned

Origination Forums / Comments

Ban Type: Obscene Language

Expires: Sunday, November 21, 2010 9:29:16 PM UTC (in 23 hours, 27 minutes)

Ban Reason:

Suspended from the World of Warcraft forums for a 24 hour period for posting / masking obscene, vulgar or inappropriate language on the forums.

(Current) - Nov 20, 2010 5:33:47 PM------------

My brother order our CEs together without my council and now I have to wait for them to be delivered here at 7 in the morning so now I won't be able to log on right as the servers are up.... (inappropriate acronym for having a bad life here)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So much for my rerolls server first.

So... Was I intentionally banned for typing in ".... ***!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"? God I didn't even think of the fact that the first letter to the acronym symbolized a naughty word.

I'm currently considering this a warning to not even replace a "naughty" word with a completely random word given the meaning of a naughty one with the correct contextual clues, but thought I'd ask to make absolute sure to refrain from posting anything self expressive and keep my posts strictly to guild recruitment when necessary as to keep from unintentionally typing something as obscene as inquired about.
You'll want to check with the team that handles such forum actions:

Forums

* To report a post that violates policy, please click the "thumbs down" icon and then on the "Report" option.

* To contest forum penalties or submit "sticky" requests, please email wowreportedpost@blizzard.com.

* To provide feedback on the performance of the community team, forum moderators, or MVPs, please email wowcmfeedback@blizzard.com. Please note that while emails sent to this address will likely not receive a response, each one will be read and handled accordingly.

Unfortunately, the CS Forum Reps that moderate this forum don't handle that. To further clarify, you'll want to email wowreportedpost@blizzard.com from your account's registered email address to request clarification on why your account was actioned. :)
The forums entered my post before I hit submit, I had to edit in the rest - but that advice still helps. Thanks Zouche :)
You're welcome! And yes, that inappropriate acronym can, in fact, cause actions against your account. Please edit it out of your post. :)
This is a pretty petty reason to ban someone IMO, that acronym can actually be used to say "Forget my life" for an occassion like this. Blizz obviously taking a leap in the dark banning someone for an acronym that could stand for various things.
When they ban for acronyms, they take what the acronym is most commonly used for.
Blizzard didn't just magically pop out of the cabbage patch this morning. ;) The popular and common definition of that acronym is well and widely-known.

Feedback on moderation can be sent to... oh, heck, here's the quote:
* To provide feedback on the performance of the community team, forum moderators, or MVPs, please email wowcmfeedback@blizzard.com. Please note that while emails sent to this address will likely not receive a response, each one will be read and handled accordingly.
This is a pretty petty reason to ban someone IMO, that acronym can actually be used to say "Forget my life" for an occassion like this. Blizz obviously taking a leap in the dark banning someone for an acronym that could stand for various things.

Thats why you shouldn't use acronyms, and just spell things out. Even just googling that one, will show you the most popular meaning. Its not petty, its a way to educate a player.

They're not taking a leap at all. Regardless of alternate uses, Blizzard is telling anyone who would post to leave the acronyms at the door if there is any question as to their appropriateness.

I'm pretty sure context is taken into account too. And everyone knows what it really stands for.
I find irony in the fact that I was talking up Cataclysm by expressing my excitement and the same company who I'm promoting found my post harmful to others. Lmao. Guess this will be my last post out of guild recruitment! Don't want to unintentionally harm anyone in any way any longer.
LmBo.

You just did it again. I fixed it for you though. What did you expect the a to mean here?

Thats why you shouldn't use acronyms, and just spell things out. Even just googling that one, will show you the most popular meaning. Its not petty, its a way to educate a player.

Banning someone on a forum for saying an acronym is educating them? Honestly they could have been a lot more vulgar. I understand that this game has players of all ages though, and I'm reminded that that is the major downfall of the game. Therefore all talk in-game and out must be regulated as if this was an elementary school.

Banning someone on a forum for saying an acronym is educating them? Honestly they could have been a lot more vulgar. I understand that this game has players of all ages though, and I'm reminded that that is the major downfall of the game. Therefore all talk in-game and out must be regulated as if this was an elementary school.

Could they of been more vulgar? Yes.
Did they break the rules? Yes.
Does it matter how the language is used? No
Does the player know better now? Yes.

You agree to follow the rules when you click the submit button. Refusing to do so will result in the loss of posting on the forums. There is no way around this, you have to accept the rules, or dont post at all.

ESRB Rating Teen: Blood, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, Violence

Wouln't naughty words fit under Suggestive Themes?

Ordinarily, possibly. However, not when we agreed when creating our account that both in-game and in the forums, we wouldn't use such language.

(Also, please further edit your original post - the acronym's still in your quoted section.)

I should add - I very much understand the frustration. In the real world, I have a mouth that would even make the crustiest of sailors blush. I just don't let that cross over into how I communicate in-game or on the forums. ;)
Could they of been more vulgar? Yes.
Did they break the rules? Yes.
Does it matter how the language is used? No
Does the player know better now? Yes.

Are you the type of person who asks and then answers his own questions? Yes.

Ordinarily, possibly. However, not when we agreed when creating our account that both in-game and in the forums, we wouldn't use such language.

(Also, please further edit your original post - the acronym's still in your quoted section.)

I should add - I very much understand the frustration. In the real world, I have a mouth that would even make the crustiest of sailors blush. I just don't let that cross over into how I communicate in-game or on the forums. ;)

True, I guess I'll just watch my mouth in-game until I consider it tame enough to not make a mistake on the forums, I don't even think about the words that I type or saw I just let my thoughts flow. I very much appreciate your soothing sympathy, I was infuriated when I first got that ban.
Regardless of the fact that people WILL and DO get banned when using this kind of language... Blizzard should really make this game Mature 17+ rating, because children are going to see/read everything whether the person gets banned or not and it's not like it's ever going to end with millions of people playing on here and kids using foul language younger and younger these days.

Banning people for using foul language does not solve the problem, and is not a successful method of making this game more family friendly IMO. But who am I to judge the rules on this game. Just putting my two cents in.

Personally I ignore people who troll but face it, this game continue to teach kids bad behavior while Bliz continues to let them play it.
Blizzard just made the game, parents are the ones letting kids play it. And it doesn't teach all kids bad behavior, everyone is different and can take different info / morals from the same source.