The Watch - 福利协会 - Welfare Society

Wyrmrest Accord
Post Limit:
Prev 1 2 3 5 Next

I like this idea. You should encourage your members to also stand around in decorative armor.

We actually go in completely the other direction, so our presence isn't misconstrued as a guild recruiting activity. There's a uniform, but it's fairly low-key. (You can see it on my ID - http://www-personal.umich.edu/~ryumo/watch/ids/ss_brief.png )

We call it "clang" when someone at MAX_LEVEL turns up in the starting areas trying to ooze machismo from every pore, with everything up to and including his underwear enchanted and glowing, showing off to try and recruit impressionable young things. Often it turns into an arms race where other guilds recruiting in the same area show up in more and more ridiculous clang until it looks for all the world like an impromptu gun and knife show.

Blizzard's love affair with ever more seizure-inducing shoulder pads doesn't help.
01/24/2011 10:39 AMPosted by Soulsinger

I like this idea. You should encourage your members to also stand around in decorative armor.

We actually go in completely the other direction, so our presence isn't misconstrued as a guild recruiting activity. There's a uniform, but it's fairly low-key. (You can see it on my ID - http://www-personal.umich.edu/~ryumo/watch/ids/ss_brief.png )

We call it "clang" when someone at MAX_LEVEL turns up in the starting areas trying to ooze machismo from every pore, with everything up to and including his underwear enchanted and glowing, showing off to try and recruit impressionable young things. Often it turns into an arms race where other guilds recruiting in the same area show up in more and more ridiculous clang until it looks for all the world like an impromptu gun and knife show.

Blizzard's love affair with ever more seizure-inducing shoulder pads doesn't help.

I meant, something like a traditional knight, wizard, ranger look. Catchy but not flashy.
Oh yes... I remember these days.

My own beginning was a little rough, myself and an RL friend whose moved on to better things, taking turns in shifts one summer in 2005. Exploring everything without knowing what's what... it was amazing. I'd only asked for help a couple of times from the high-levels, and there was so much stuff I wish I had.

First time I remember being able to finally blow all my money on the lvl 10 leather set... Darnassus being attacked by the Scourge, helping the war effort against the Quiraji. What really drew me to this game and to this day keeps me here, is the amazing people I meet along the way of my journey. You just can't compete with good company and mutual past-time.

Looking at those lvl60's, all decked out in their t2 armor was always another driving force, "When I get to 60, I'll be like that! I'll join a raiding guild and stuff...then..."

That said, this is a wonderful idea. I'll buy sets of the lowbie white armor, and maybe make a few healing potions to really give them an out if they can't manage that damnable wolf! And I suppose I can spend a good half hour in SM farming silk for bags.

Sending them to Soulsinger when able :3
Elaron reminisces...
Oh yes... I remember these days.

My own beginning was a little rough, myself and an RL friend whose moved on to better things, taking turns in shifts one summer in 2005.
[...]

July-August of 2005, or as I think of it, "The Summer of Learning to Hate Murlocs."

That said, this is a wonderful idea. I'll buy sets of the lowbie white armor, and maybe make a few healing potions to really give them an out if they can't manage that damnable wolf! And I suppose I can spend a good half hour in SM farming silk for bags.

I see we shop for our silk in the same places! Although since Patch 4.x that's gotten a little dicey for me. Apparently I now flag PVP if a guard *sees* me. And there's always a level 80murderface Death Knight hanging around nearby....

Potions never hurt, although we've sort of held up on this since the regeneration rate pre-level 20 is just obscene. (Try it: roll a mage. Chain cast fireball. You will never. Run. Out. Of. Mana. Ever.) Confidentially, on Kirin Tor I stockpiled candy canes and we gave stacks of 5 of those out for a while. ;)

I meant, something like a traditional knight, wizard, ranger look. Catchy but not flashy.

Impressive is fine, if you're going for style. It's that too many of the folks we see rock up in Northshire, Shadowglen, Durotar (oh sweet GOD Durotar...) et. al. fell right off the wrong side of that narrow line between "impressive display" and "trying far too hard."

Also I suspect based on the evidence from a lot of the guild recruiters we see jander around, the guild leader has no idea where they are or what his member's doing.
And now, a message from the Northshire Fire Department....

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Uh...while Chief Bob puts himself out, I'd like to take a moment to remind you that <The Watch> is always accepting donations for the (lately quite rare) new guest on Wyrmrest Accord, or the odd player trying out the other faction and cut off from other resources.

You know, anything you would have liked at level VERY_SMALL to make life less horrible.

Or become a Constable yourself. The hours are pretty reasonable, and it's all the pre-pubescent racists you can mock openly, every night*!

To either tuck something into the donation bin, or spend some time trying not to strangle someone who thinks making characters named "Fatherpedo" is hilarious, contact Soulsinger via in-game mail, or the corporate e-mail address at thewatch.charity.wow@gmail.com.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

*Numberandspellingofactualidiotsmayvaryoffergoodonlyafterabattlegroundletsoutorapvpservergoesdownnouserservicablepartsinsideeachnuisancealtcontainsupto90%recycledinternetcontentorsomethingsomeguytoldthematrecessvoidwhereprohibitedbylawsorryTennessee.
This is awesome! I'll let people know of your efforts!
*waves hi* Just a reminder we're still alive.

Well, a couple of us...

AND if you felt like passing on anything we could load down people who're new to WoW with, we wouldn't say no!

- Soulsinger, who will eventually learn not to start
his patrol in Elwynn Forest for his own sanity.
How've you been, Soulsinger?
All right, sir. Settling into the new dynamic of the clusterthingy that is Cataclysm. How's the guards?
As a new player, I think this is a really fantastic idea.

Spent a few years RPing the *#*#ens out of City of Heroes, but was away from MMOs for a few years now. I actually tried out WoW back at BC and get to my upper twenties before calling it quits.

Now I'm back, and really impressed at the generosity of this idea. Not just the gear side of things (although the random 85 who answered a ton of my questions and then tossed me 200g pretty much blew my mind), but the idea of general helpfulness towards ubernoobs like myself (who didn't know chat windows could be unlocked, for example) goes a long ways.

Keep it up.
Will do, sir. Our volunteers feel it fills an important niche in adjustment to a new environment, anywhere from "which end of this wand do I point at the rabbit" to "why is this guy hip-thrusting in my face and DEAR GOD WHERE ARE HIS PANTS?!"
Bíodh lá ag ól sásta!

While you're sitting at home burning a sick day recovering from drinking all that green....um...well, green, I thought I'd slip in a note to remind y'all of two things.

1. We exist! I'm pretty sure.

2. We could use any Heavy Leather you've got lying around that you may not need. Because, you know, very small people need bags to live.

Well, okay, to live well.

Burning questions about The Watch and what it does? Contact Soulsinger either in-person or via in-game mail for details, or if you can't find the lazy bastard, send mail to thewatch.charity.wow@gmail.com and we'll respond in a timely fashion. Or visit our information site at http://tinyurl.com/fkp4n

Thanks and....wow, feel better!
I am hopeful you all endeavor to provide a horde side chapter one day, this is an excellent idea.

/bows respectfully
Sent over the leather backstock I had on my ally, not too much unfortunately but enough for one set of bags at least.

I'll keep out an eye for more of this sort of stuff in the future, since I remember you folks from your (apparently failed/ended) Moon Guard chapter.
Dynast writes...
Sent over the leather backstock I had on my ally, not too much unfortunately but enough for one set of bags at least.

I'll keep out an eye for more of this sort of stuff in the future, since I remember you folks from your (apparently failed/ended) Moon Guard chapter.

Thank you!

Moon Guard (Wards 3 & 4) were made "inactive at the request of the community", which is a lot of words for "you know, there's only so much organized abuse we're willing to take." Given the very small number of volunteers we have, I'm not thinking we can support those missions any time soon.
(I'll come back to this when I feel like fighting with the forum editor some more and losing more posts to the 'Preview' button or random logouts. In the meantime: Still exist, not dead, happy Spring.)

11/22/2010 12:03 PMPosted by Soulsinger
Around 60-70% of people new to the game quit before ever reaching level 10.

I'm not sure if this is the case any more... I mean, I'm sure people above me have said the same thing (I'm too lazy to read everything - bite me), but this isn't really a problem any more. The quests are funner, if a little spread out at times.
Staverlyn writes...
I'm not sure if this is the case any more... I mean, I'm sure people above me have said the same thing (I'm too lazy to read everything - bite me), but this isn't really a problem any more. The quests are funner, if a little spread out at times.

This thread is a copy of an older one. Watch threads tend to disappear under "mysterious circumstances".

Sure they do.

I was actually quoting Mike Morhaime, who tossed that little gem out at the Q1 2010 investors' meeting. It's probably not accurate now (07 Apr 2011). Not just due to adjustment for trial keys, what we refer to as 'nuisance alts', and other statistical trivia, but because there are actually fewer genuinely new people starting up the hobby.

Most "new" guest traffic is "churn" in the form of existing accounts creating new avatars, the aforementioned nuisance alts, gold farmers in various flavors, curiosity alts, PVP spotters, and related others. Of the roughly 7-12 calls I personally attend a night, Maybe 2-3 will fit our aid criteria - which remember is also people re-rolling on a new server but cut off from other aid.

Non-portable investment, content revision, and a threshold population seems to be keeping the audience, but there's not a lot left in that target demographic to mine. I suspect that's why the sudden mood whiplash and full shift in audience focus around patch 3-ish.
Hooray for no more snow! ^_^

As we truck into Spring and then waaaaay too quickly into Summer, we're looking forward to the "busy season" when all the kids are out of school and flood the servers with the new and not-new-and-trying-to-get-attention-any-way-possible.

It's the former we actually care about.

If you care about then, and think you might feel like making any of those people feel welcome on Wyrmrest Accord, get in touch with Soulsinger either via in-game mail, or at the organizational e-mail address, thewatch.charity.wow@gmail.com about becoming a volunteer on our usual really, really part-time basis.

Or if you're busy and you have The Tower of Fatal Beatings on farm status or something, feel free to pass along any items of white quality of level 7 or below that you might have liked at that age. We'll find appropriate owners. You know, eventually. ;)