Shatter & Frostburn: What's "Frozen"?

Mage
I've been focusing on my main since 4.0, since she's what I raid on, and I'm just now getting around to messing with this alt. I love playing her as PvE Frost, and here's something I've noticed about her new talents that's worrying me.

Frostburn: All your spells deal 20% increased damage against Frozen targets. Each point of Mastery increases damage by an additional 2.5%.

Shatter (Rank 2): Multiplies the critical strike chance of all your spells against frozen targets by 3.

Fingers of Frost (Rank 3): Gives your Chill effects a 30% chance to grant you the Fingers of Frost effect, which causes your next Ice Lance or Deep Freeze spell to act as if your target were frozen.

The current wording on FoF suggests that it only benefits IL and DF (and a BF FFB if you're talented into it, per that Talent's wording). Since raid bosses are immune to being frozen, does that mean that Shatter and Frostburn are useless for raiding? Or is this just another example of Blizzard's unintentionally ambiguous wording, and Shatter and Frostburn do work against targets that are "frozen" with FoF? Or it does, but only if the spell you're currently using can consider the target as frozen (e.g,, FB no, DF/BF-FFB/IL yes)?
I'll add something on this to the Non-Obvious Mechanics FAQ.
@Lhivera:

If that's an actual thing, could I get a link, please?
Nevermind, found it:

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?sid=1&topicId=22418943630