Connected Realms Update - 12/19

General Discussion
Prev 1 23 24 25 33 Next
Can you guys please look at Destromath, it's really really low.
I'm curious on the reasoning behind merging two low pop horde servers with a heavily dominated alliance mannaroth.(i think there's more alliance on mannaroth then blood furnace and nazjatar have population put together, which is absolutely ludicrous.)
RP realms are not the lowest population servers but certainly several are down at the bottom. http://wow.realmpop.com/us.html

But then Blizzard has not been connecting realms based on the lowest population servers being connected first. That is one thing that is abundantly clear. As has been pointed out elsewhere, a primary purpose of the realm connections appears to be to close one or more of the data centers. Phoenix is, in fact, gone and it appears that New York will go next.

If you look at the list, the lowest population server still to be connected is Jaedenar. I don't recall seeing it on the up and coming realm connection list.

Who says the Phoenix dc is already gone? I just did a traceroute to several of the realms that haven't been connected yet, and they're still in Phoenix. Only 12 of 38 realms in Phoenix have been connected to and moved to LA so far, 5 more scheduled soon, so there are still 21+5 left there.
I did a traceroute on a few realms that were located in the Phoenix data center and found that they all have the same traceroute whether the realm has been connected to another realm or not. For example, Farstrider and Winterhoof. So, I'm not sure what your point is about traceroutes.

I guess you may have noticed that Blizzard has eliminated the Emberstorm and Whirlwind battle groups which were the only battle groups in the Phoenix data center. All those realms have been moved to other battle groups, mostly in the LA data center. Check the Armory if you don't believe me. I'd say for all intents and purposes the Phoenix data center is gone.
I did a traceroute on a few realms that were located in the Phoenix data center and found that they all have the same traceroute whether the realm has been connected to another realm or not. For example, Farstrider and Winterhoof. So, I'm not sure what your point is about traceroutes.

I guess you may have noticed that Blizzard has eliminated the Emberstorm and Whirlwind battle groups which were the only battle groups in the Phoenix data center. All those realms have been moved to other battle groups, mostly in the LA data center. Check the Armory if you don't believe me. I'd say for all intents and purposes the Phoenix data center is gone.

Yes, they changed their Battlegroup. But that's not the same as physically moving the server from one datacenter to the other. I'm talking about the actual physical location of the server hardware. That is what is in each datacenter, regardless of which Battlegroup they're assigned to.
If you did a traceroute on the IP's from a list, yes you'll get the same route to Phoenix, because that's an old list that hasn't been updated. When they get connected, they get a new IP. I just now, in the middle of typing this, logged into both Farstriders and Winterhoof and manually determined their IP and then did a traceroute to them. Farstriders has it's same old IP and is still physically in Phoenix, Winterhoof has a new IP and is now physically in LA.
They're not getting physically moved out of the Phoenix datacenter till they get connected. So the Phoenix battlegroups may be gone, but the datacenter is still there and alive. That was my point. It will be gone, but only after the remaining realms there are connected and moved.
I'm curious on the reasoning behind merging two low pop horde servers with a heavily dominated alliance mannaroth.(i think there's more alliance on mannaroth then blood furnace and nazjatar have population put together, which is absolutely ludicrous.)

Connections are about overall population totals, nothing to do with faction balance.
I keep watching for the RP realms, I'm guessing since we are teh fewest number of server we may be last.
12/21/2013 12:48 AMPosted by Weekender

Connections are about overall population totals, nothing to do with faction balance.

But that doesn't make sense. I can't trade across faction, so my auction house will still be bad. and there will be less in the auction house because of alliance competition. If anything this is the worst possible thing imaginable. o.o
I keep watching for the RP realms, I'm guessing since we are teh fewest number of server we may be last.

Yes, RP realms are only 23 out of 246 realms and haven't been near the lowest populations. Blizz isn't even halfway done yet. I doubt RP will be last, but just mixed in with the rest of realms that are left, so they'll get there soon.
are all realms going to be connected or justlow pop ones
are all realms going to be connected or just low pop ones

They've already connected some medium pop realms. The only thing Blizz has actually said is that they won't be connecting some of the highest pop realms, but they gave no specifics.
I'd estimate they'll connect all but maybe the top 20 or so.
Just curious...
Has Gilneas been connected, or put on a list?
I haven't paid much attention, sorry.

Not soon enough thats for sure.

All the low/med pop servers shouldve been done by now.

Which also brings the obvious answer. With all the servers they are merging, it shows that they shouldve closed lots of servers and had them transfer off long ago.
Just curious...
Has Gilneas been connected, or put on a list?
I haven't paid much attention, sorry.

Not soon enough thats for sure.

All the low/med pop servers shouldve been done by now.

Which also brings the obvious answer. With all the servers they are merging, it shows that they shouldve closed lots of servers and had them transfer off long ago.

They needed to develop a method to do that that didn't involve shutting down servers. One of the core objectives of doing a connection process rather than a "shut down dead servers and let folks transfer off" is that it leaves players who are unsubscribed at the time of that event in the cold. Blizzard doesn't want to burn that many bridges, because players who consume the content, then unsubscribe until more new content comes out are apparently a sizable population.

So the bottom line is that they needed to come up with a method of doing something the server architecture had never been intended to do, and they had to do it while minimizing the possibility of data loss as much as possible. And it turns out that this took a lot of time, certainly more time than they wanted it to take.
I know you guys aren't done with realm connecting, but have you any spoiler information on a connection involving "Turalyon", I've been waiting for it, but it hasn't seemed to make the cut lately. ;b thank you :)
The only spoilers they give is the 3 batches posted in advance instead of just 1, in the first post.
Thank you for adding the additional realms to be connected in the future to the list!
I would like to know if Thrall is going to receive a server merger in the future? I know that the server is High pop, however alliance is dead only 3 groups actually raid with bad attendance issues at that. Even the top raiding guild is looking to transfer off server because it looks like we will be overlooked. We need a low pop horde and high pop alliance to balance the scales. Something like Stormrage would work.

Also battle groups in my opinion were a huge cause of population instability. Is there anything you guys are working on to help stabilize the factions (something like a population cap) kinda like what you did in wintergrasp. not letting (X) amount of opposing faction to join.
I would like to know if Thrall is going to receive a server merger in the future? I know that the server is High pop, however alliance is dead only 3 groups actually raid with bad attendance issues at that. Even the top raiding guild is looking to transfer off server because it looks like we will be overlooked. We need a low pop horde and high pop alliance to balance the scales. Something like Stormrage would work.

Thrall is in a position where it might be too lopsided to connect, but Blizzard's solution to that (as demonstrated recently in the EU) was to open up FCM opportunities in order to give players options on what to do, since connection is unlikely. It's probably going to take awhile before we get to that point in the US, but for high-pop one-faction servers like Thrall, that's probably the solution.
HOW BOUT faction inbalance..... for example. MAL'GANIS is a high pop server, BUT THATS ALL HORDE.

seriously blizzard are you even trying anymore?

Takralus, on the EU forums: (source: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/8715481514#10)

Unfortunately it's not possible to solve faction balance completely. I expect many of you have heard us say this before, but there are way more Horde overall on European PvP realms than Alliance. On EU PvE realms it's the other way around, Alliance outnumber Horde. Short of forcing people to faction change (which is not a realistic option), there will always be faction imbalance to a certain degree.

However, when choosing which realms to connect, we picked ones that improved the situation wherever possible. And in Warlords of Draenor, the PvP zone will make use of cross-realm technology to ensure there will be a good faction balance there to help with the PvP objectives.

So yeah, they're trying. And specifically in the case of Mal'Ganis, when you have a huge cross-media community like Goon Squad in residence on the realm, there's no way to avoid the place being dominated by whichever faction that community locks onto.

If servers have capacity (and we know they do) and Blizzard can't force faction balance (because they've repeatedly said that players created the imbalance and they can't do anything without stomping on players) then there are just some servers where being in the minority faction just won't be feasible until they come up with a new solution.