Connected Realms Update - 12/19

General Discussion
Prev 1 27 28 29 33 Next
12/27/2013 07:54 AMPosted by Disclosure
Aren't we better off with free transfers to higher population realms, empty out the dead ones, then shut them down?

Considering many of the higher pop. realms have queues and are completely imbalanced towards one faction, I'd say no. Hell no. If Blizzard shut-down my server and force transferred me to Area 52 or Thrall (the only two high pop. PvE realms with a Horde presence, and both massively imbalanced), I'd quit immediately. There's massively multiplayer, and then there's overkill.

Blizzard is doing it this way to solve naming issues with characters and guilds. There were instances in Warhammer Online when they shut certain servers down and people couldn't get the names they wanted on the new servers. There were instances of rival guilds saving the names of everyone in another guild on the destination server so they couldn't have them. If Blizzard took a similar approach with WoW's server "merges" -- well, it wouldn't be pretty, considering this game's community is much more volatile than Warhammer's was.

I suppose that is true. But I just see the connections ultimately as a short term fix. Some of these realms are just flat-out dying. And with the delays they are no-doubt placing on some of these realms, their connection will be a simple exercise in "server mechanics" on their part but will ultimately not do much to increase the populations.

I suppose that is true. But I just see the connections ultimately as a short term fix. Some of these realms are just flat-out dying. And with the delays they are no-doubt placing on some of these realms, their connection will be a simple exercise in "server mechanics" on their part but will ultimately not do much to increase the populations.

Blizzard is not doing a thing to increase populations, redress faction imbalances, or in any way enhance our playing experience.

No.

Their only goal is to cut costs by shutting down facilities. And they are leaving the least-populated realms until last in hopes that those people will despair and pay to transfer: $25/toon in cash money, straight to Blizzard's pocket.

If their objective was the player's happiness, the least populated realms would have been done first. Not only are players there most in need of connection, but lower populations means fewer people to be negatively impacted by connection anomalies.

If I'm not mistaken, Blizz is a publicly traded company. If I'd win the lotto and could buy enough shares to own 51% some rules would change really fast, that's for sure and people responsible for mishandling this would be looking for a job where they ask customers questions like "Do you want fries with that?"

I'm working on my retirement portfolio but I am considering some stock purchases... hmm...

"Dream on!" right, I'd probably never buy enough to make any real dent but I'd hope my opinion would carry just a tiny bit more weight with the company in that case.

It's clear we're not being told the full truth about Blizzard's intentions of connecting realms, and not all servers are going to be connected that are low pop or medium.
Truthfully, Blizzard doesn't have to tell anyone anything. If people are unhappy about not getting the whole truth, there's always voting with their wallets.

I'm not real happy about merged servers myself. But I still love the game so I'm not voting with my wallet quite yet.
12/27/2013 04:20 PMPosted by Feanorion
Farstriders is a pathetically low pop realm, but we are in Chicago, if I'm not mistaken.

Farstriders is in Phoenix. If you're going to use your tinfoil hat, at least make sure your facts are correct.
Will the connected realm forums be consolidated also? Not that there's much traffic on realm forums nowadays but merging them may reinforce the feeling of "togetherness". We have 3 connected and it's been pretty good. I don't watch Trade much but they don't seem to be bickering and the high school rivalry type thing gets lame fast.

Wouldn't it be a better feeling of community if we shared one forum?
I am willing to bet that low pop servers in centers not being closed NEVER get connected. Farstriders is a pathetically low pop realm, but we are in Chicago, if I'm not mistaken. No word on us getting connected. I am beginning to suspect we will NEVER hear word of, nor see us being connected.

Farstrider has about 10k level 90 toons and skews to the Alliance as far as population goes. I wouldn't be surprised to see you connected before the end of the January.
12/27/2013 08:29 PMPosted by Feanorion

Farstriders is in Phoenix. If you're going to use your tinfoil hat, at least make sure your facts are correct.

Server time is Central.

EDIT: I looked it up, and it is, indeed in Phoenix. Is the Phoenix datacenter being closed down?

I think so, Fea. There's a few realms there still resolving at that IP (according to posts a few days ago) but it looks like that's just for the time being - seems like they're all eventually being moved to LA.
Are any of the Oceanic realms getting connected.

Server time is Central.

EDIT: I looked it up, and it is, indeed in Phoenix. Is the Phoenix datacenter being closed down?
Farstriders is in the Bloodlust battlegroup in LA.

Old Phoenix battlegroups and where their realms went.

Emberstorm

Realm Battlegroup Data Center

Antonidas Cyclone LA
Borean Tundra Reckoning LA
Cairne Cyclone LA
Drak 'Tharon Reckoning LA
Drenden Reckoning LA
Farstriders Bloodlust LA
Garrosh Vengeance LA
Hydraxis Reckoning LA
Mok'Nathal Reckoning LA
Moon Guard Reckoning LA
Nazgrel Bloodlust LA
Nesingwary Bloodlust LA
Nordrassil Vengeance LA
Quel 'dorei Bloodlust LA
Rivendare Reckoning LA
Shandris Cyclone LA
Thortheldrin Reckoning LA
Wymrest Accord Cyclone LA

Whirlwind

Anub'arak Vengeance LA
Blackwater Raiders Reckoning LA
Bladefist Vengeance LA
Cenarian Circle Cyclone LA
Cenarius Cyclone LA
Darrowmere Reckoning LA
Echo Isles Cyclone LA
Fenris Cyclone LA
Hyjal Vengeance LA
Korialstrasz Reckoning LA
Lightbringer Cyclone LA
Maiev Cyclone LA
Ravenholdt Shadowburn Chicago
Shu'halo Vengeance LA
Sister of Elune Cyclone LA
The Forgotten Coast Ruin Chicago
Uther Vengeance LA
Vashj Bloodlust LA
Winterhoof Bloodlust LA
One other thing I wanted to say is that if you look at which LA battlegroup the Phoenix realms went to (see my post above) you can see that when they are connected, the connected group of realms are put into the same battlegroup. Makes sense, of course, but it also makes it easier to figure out what the potential realm connections are. So that if a realm was moved, for instance, to Bloodlust in LA it's appears that it will be connected to one or more of the existing Bloodlust realms.
Farstriders is in the Bloodlust battlegroup in LA.

Old Phoenix battlegroups and where their realms went.

Emberstorm

Realm Battlegroup Data Center

Antonidas Cyclone LA
Borean Tundra Reckoning LA
Cairne Cyclone LA
Drak 'Tharon Reckoning LA
Drenden Reckoning LA
Farstriders Bloodlust LA
Garrosh Vengeance LA
Hydraxis Reckoning LA
Mok'Nathal Reckoning LA
Moon Guard Reckoning LA
Nazgrel Bloodlust LA
Nesingwary Bloodlust LA
Nordrassil Vengeance LA
Quel 'dorei Bloodlust LA
Rivendare Reckoning LA
Shandris Cyclone LA
Thortheldrin Reckoning LA
Wymrest Accord Cyclone LA

Whirlwind

Anub'arak Vengeance LA
Blackwater Raiders Reckoning LA
Bladefist Vengeance LA
Cenarian Circle Cyclone LA
Cenarius Cyclone LA
Darrowmere Reckoning LA
Echo Isles Cyclone LA
Fenris Cyclone LA
Hyjal Vengeance LA
Korialstrasz Reckoning LA
Lightbringer Cyclone LA
Maiev Cyclone LA
Ravenholdt Shadowburn Chicago
Shu'halo Vengeance LA
Sister of Elune Cyclone LA
The Forgotten Coast Ruin Chicago
Uther Vengeance LA
Vashj Bloodlust LA
Winterhoof Bloodlust LA

If it is true that only data centers which are closing are going to see a connection, then I can completely dismiss Mok'Nathal, it's LA. so why would they connect it? Isn't LA their home base data center? So apparently we will never see a connection. Will just have to wait 6-7 weeks until I've e-filed my taxes and gotten my tax check back to transfer off my desired toons.
12/27/2013 11:32 PMPosted by Treedragon
If it is true that only data centers which are closing are going to see a connection, then I can completely dismiss Mok'Nathal, it's LA. so why would they connect it? Isn't LA their home base data center?

Mok'Nathal was in Phoenix originally. It is now in LA, just like the rest of the servers that were in Phoenix. There has been no evidence that Mok'Nathal will not be connected.

Once again, you're jumping to conclusions.

If it is true that only data centers which are closing are going to see a connection, then I can completely dismiss Mok'Nathal, it's LA. so why would they connect it? Isn't LA their home base data center? So apparently we will never see a connection. Will just have to wait 6-7 weeks until I've e-filed my taxes and gotten my tax check back to transfer off my desired toons.
You are missing the point. All I'm saying is that we can tell which possible realms a Phoenix realm may be connected to (if it's connected at all) by which battlegroup it was sent to. For example, Quel 'dorei was transferred to the Blootlust battlegroup and connected with Sen'Jin which was already in the Bloodlust battlegroup.
Mok'Nathal is now in one of the LA Battlegroups, yes, but the server itself is still physically in the Phoenix datacenter. Same for every other server that has not yet been connected; they've all had their battlegroups changed to Chicago and LA, but the server itself is still physically in NY or Phoenix untill they get connected, THEN they get moved to the other datacenters.

You can't dismiss any realm that's already in Chicago or LA as not going to get a connection, because who do you think they're connecting the NY and Phoenix realms to.
You are missing the point. All I'm saying is that we can tell which possible realms a Phoenix realm may be connected to (if it's connected at all) by which battlegroup it was sent to. For example, Quel 'dorei was transferred to the Blootlust battlegroup and connected with Sen'Jin which was already in the Bloodlust battlegroup.

Good point.
hmm so still no news yet for my realm to be connected (Nesingwary)