Lore Question! Can a Paladin believe in God?

Story Forum
1 2 3 5 Next
I have been reading quite a bit of lore on Paladins.

I am curious as to if it's possible to still have a Paladin who believes in God? My character -was- a High Elf and is in his early hundreds as a Blood Elf (age-wise, having been a High Elf before, of course. Considering most people will misread that and think he's spent over a hundred years as a Blood Elf).

Before people freak out and say God was ret-conned, it has not been officially.

Here're some things I found interesting:

Source on this: http://wowpedia.org/God

The One God

God is a being mentioned in some legends of Azeroth. In some beliefs he is said to have been creator of the universe, the Maker.[4][5]

God was said to have been revered by the Clerics of Northshire during the First War. The Abbot of Northshire Abbey believed that he archangels took up swords of light to defend the heavens[6] and that God is able to see in an all encompassing fashion. He sees the world with extreme clarity, and only a fraction of the power would blind a human.[7] During the Second War, churches sang hymns to "Give thanks unto God."[8] Even after the Second War a Knight of the Silver Hand called Duncan Senturus believed in a higher power that could choose paths for people, and believed evil actions were ungodly.[9]

In contrast the high elf Milan spoke during the Second War not of the belief in the creator "God", but of an entire pantheon called "the gods". He mentions believing in these gods, praying to the gods, and receiving help from them. He speaks of his allies praying to the gods, and the gods answering their prayers.[10]

Next is under ret-conned beliefs (these are not official): http://wowpedia.org/Retcon_1#The_Holy_Light

Holy Light and God

In the description of the Warcraft I units, the Clerics of Northshire are described as worshippers of God, though whether or not this referred to a specific deity within a pantheon or a single deity is not known. This is followed in some of the later sources, such as Warcraft II ("Deo Gratias", Latin for "Thanks be to God") and Day of the Dragon.

"...clearly it was chosen by a higher power that your paths would lead you to us."[12]

By the time of Warcraft III, they are shown as followers of the [Holy Light], which is described as a philosophy that does not follow any particular theology, although a reference to a single all powerful god-like being creating the universe is mentioned in the manual and angels appear during resurrection spells. It is unknown as to whether or not the individuals worship this deity.

[Iblis, Blade of the Fallen Seraph], seems to be a reference to a fallen angel as well.

Spirit Healers and Spirits of Redemption have the form of angelic beings as well, though as of yet there is no name for the race, but it could be a Seraph.

In the preview information released regarding the draenei race for the Burning Crusade expansion, the naaru were referenced as "a race of sapient energy beings bent on stopping the Burning Crusade" and that they "blessed the draenei with Light-given knowledge and power". The naaru may explain the origin of the Holy Light or at least demonstrate that the Holy Light is an interplanetary force not restricted only to the world of Azeroth. Additionally, it's known that the naaru are also a source of Holy Light power, as blood elves have found a way of draining a naaru of its powers, in order to wield divine powers as blood knights.

Additionally, according to Warcraft III's manual, one legend states that the creation of the universe was from a single all powerful entity. The concept of God likely originated from this legend. See, Creation Myth.

Additionally, Alliance Player's Guide tends to switch between the points of view that the Light seems to be a sapient entity of some kind; while it may not be an individual it may be a force. But it says little is known as the philosophies have been changing over the years especially since many of the original books discussing the Holy Light were destroyed during the various wars, especially during the third war.

Now, going to the creation myth: There are numerous! http://wowpedia.org/Creation_Myth

Creation God theory

Others believe that the universe was created as a whole by a single all-powerful entity.[1] [1]

God was said to have been revered in Azeroth before the first war by the Clerics of Northshire and references to God or a higher power can be found in Warcraft II, as well as the novels.[2]

See also; Belief retcon.

Now: Here's my question and speculation. NO known Titans use the Holy Light.

Is it possible for a Paladin who still believes in God to exist? My character's beliefs would be founded on the following principles based off what he knows.

1. God exists and has half of the power of the universe (since the forces of shadow are an equal, yet opposing force in WoW).
2. The Titans are made out of metal - something had to build them. Metal doesn't just come to life.
3. Spirit Healers are not related to Valkyr, it seems that the forces of darkness tried to emulate them.
4. The Old Gods do not like the Light. Notice how Saronite reacted violently toward the Light in the quests in Northrend. So, the Old Gods are manifestations of the forces of shadow (or whatever opposes God) in the universe (these are his thoughts, mind you).
5. It is possible to push the shadow back if more come to the Light, but the Light must remain bright, lest shadow encroach again - it is a never ending war.

Would this be an acceptable foundation for a paladin's beliefs and faith?
Nevermind. I should really read threads before I post in them.
Christianity doesn't exist in WoW. So no, Paladins do not believe in God.

They may believe in a god, but not God.

... Did I say anything about Christianity?

Nope. Read it over again. :)

There are many monotheistic religions in the world today. And their gods are capitalized. Whether it be Yahweh, Allah, Shiva, etc.

This isn't a post on Christianity, but rather what a character would perceive to be WoW God. :)

You capitalized god as God. Repeatedly.

You capitalized god as God. Repeatedly.

Yes, so do the articles I link. We are talking about the name of something, are we not? Notice how it's also called the Maker - Maker being capitalized too.

There are many monotheistic religions in the world today. And their gods are capitalized. Whether it be Yahweh, Allah, Shiva, etc.

This isn't a post on Christianity, but rather what a character would perceive to be WoW God. :)

Yahweh, Allah, and God are all the same god. And Shiva is a god's name.

Don't turn this into a real-life religious thing - if you're calling all three of those the same - you will anger a LOT of people with varying religious backgrounds.. I know enough on this topic to shame you. We're talking WoW God, not real-life gods. Please and thanks.
Warcraft: Orcs and Humans flavor information is not even close to reliable.
Warcraft: Orcs and Humans flavor information is not even close to reliable.

There's an item from 3.0.2: [Iblis, Blade of the Fallen Seraph], seems to be a reference to a fallen angel as well.

:/ So... yeah. Angels can possibly be canonical.

If WoW's lore is based off all of the previous RTS games and such a thing hasn't been retconned by a blue, it still is possible.
I encourage paladins to believe in me, actually. I also encourage the ritual sacrifice of Gnomes.
I encourage paladins to believe in me, actually. I also encourage the ritual sacrifice of Gnomes.

All hail the sacrificer of Gnomes. -Staaares.-

Basically, what I'm saying is, God (as a name) is used, references to hell are made, etc. Angelic beings exist. A character believing in an ultimate "Maker" as stated before might not be a long shot.

My character also still follows the tenants of the Holy Light: Respect, Compassion, and Tenacity.
There's an item from 3.0.2: [Iblis, Blade of the Fallen Seraph], seems to be a reference to a fallen angel as well.

If WoW's lore is based off all of the previous RTS games and such a thing hasn't been retconned by a blue, it still is possible.
There's also centaurs.

Clearly that means Zeus and the other Olympians must be canon to the Warcraft universe.

There's also centaurs.

Clearly that means Zeus and the other Olympians must be canon to the Warcraft universe.

Actually, it says one of the results of Elune and Cenarius breeding's children breeding with Therazane's daughter is the result of that.

Background

For more details, see Origins below.

According to legend, Zaetar, son of Cenarius, and the earth elemental princess Theradras begot the barbaric centaur race. Shortly after the centaur's creation, the ruthless creatures murdered their father.[4] The five centaur clans in Kalimdor are therefor the bastard offspring of Zaetar.

Don't turn this into a real-life religious thing - if you're calling all three of those the same - you will anger a LOT of people with varying religious backgrounds.. I know enough on this topic to shame you. We're talking WoW God, not real-life gods. Please and thanks.

Kay.

On-topic, I dunno.

Deities in WoW tend to have names that aren't akin to naming a planet "Planet", and according to the list of entities believed to be gods, there's no mention of anything named God, so it's probably not a common belief.

As far as we've seen the WoW universe doesn't have an all powerful god. The most powerful beings are the Titans or maybe the old gods. The Light is not personified usually.

Kay.

On-topic, I dunno.

Deities in WoW tend to have names, and according to the list of entities believed to be gods, there's no mention of anything named God, so it's probably not a common belief.

There is. Read my post. Go to those links. Read the sources. Warcraft manuals and such.
Actually, it says one of the results of Elune and Cenarius breeding's children breeding with Therazane's daughter is the result of that.
Yeah, and can there not be a similar explanation for the appearance of the term "seraph"? Does it have to be tied to a religion worshipping a figure called God?

No, it doesn't have to, any more than Warcraft centaurs must be a reference to some in-universe Greek religion.
12/20/2013 04:58 AMPosted by Phreska

As far as we've seen the WoW universe doesn't have an all powerful god. The most powerful beings are the Titans or maybe the old gods. The Light is not personified usually.

Exactly: We don't know. Some in the first war and such worshipped specifically something they called, "God." I am not saying He exists in WoW, I'm saying is it possible for a character to still believe in said one CALLED, "God," and so forth? :)
12/20/2013 04:59 AMPosted by Frosthawk
Yeah, and can there not be a similar explanation for the appearance of the term "seraph"? Does it have to be tied to a religion worshipping a figure called God?

No, it doesn't have to, any more than Warcraft centaurs must be a reference to some in-universe Greek religion.

Have you noticed I've never once said God exists? It says that clerics and such worshipped what they CALLED, "God," and my character would follow in said traditions. :P It's a matter of me asking if the canonical belief-not fact of existence- of a god in WoW (an all-powerful one) is acceptable?
I have simply been asking - is believing in an all-powerful god still canonically possible for a Paladin? Not whether or not it exists. :P