5 Ways to Improve WoW

General Discussion
Doing everything I can to not get any work done today (obviously), so here's a list of suggestions I've been meaning to type up as feedback for the hard-working developers over at Blizzard HQ. I'll preface this by saying I haven't seen what is in store for WoD, so my apologies if any of this is already planned. In no specific order:

1. Tabard Journal, Gear Sets Journal, Fun Items Journal

I think two of the most underrated additions to the game are the pet and mount journals. I also think that the reason these two features are underrated is because they work so well, and that nobody really notices them or can even remember what life was like before them. This technology is wonderful and should absolutely be used for other items in the game.

Further use of the "journal" interface could extend to:

- A tabard journal that lists and holds each and every tabard available.
- A "fun stuff" journal where we can put the umpteen million vanity items that have no use other than fun/vanity. Like a lot of the holiday outfits and items, Darkmoon Faire items, Timeless Isle items, and things like that.
- A gear set journal that lists and holds each set of tier gear (or each set of gear available). No idea on the logistics of this, given how many players there are and how many individual pieces there are for every individual gear set, for every individual class/spec.

I know many people will claim "void storage" for most of the above, but aside from the high expense and small space that void storage is, so many of the items in question aren't able to be placed inside it.

2. ReadID Features & Improvements

- Ability to appear offline to friends.
- Ability to disable popup & sound notifications of people coming online.
- Ability to disable popup & sound notifications of other peoples' status updates.

Anything that gives me more control over how this chat feature operates is welcomed.

3. Meaningful Small-Group Content

5-man used to fill this role very nicely. I recall many a night where I would log on, and friends and I would enjoy settling in for a few dungeons that lasted a reasonable length of time.

I ran through my daily heroic, daily scenario, and daily heroic scenario last night and these are my results:

Daily 5-man Heroic: 5m12s
Daily Scenario: 11m38s
Daily Heroic Scenario: 10m22s

Granted, I know we're at the end of the expansion and all, but even while I was leveling and a fresh 90 (not long ago at all), the numbers were pretty close to this. There's just nothing available that me and 2-4 of my friends can really sink our teeth into for an evening. Chain running this type of content is not immersive or fulfilling due to the constant and quick change of scenery, story, mobs, etc. (It's mostly forgettable in its current form, because it's sooo quickly completed.)

I'm not saying that 5 mans should go back to being 3 hour ordeals or anything, but 5 minutes, or even 10 minutes? That's not compelling, engaging, small-group content. And it doesn't have to be extremely hard content, it just has to be more in-depth and satisfying for groups than a 5 minute run.

If you're worried about the players who view this type of content as mere chores to cap valor or whatever, perhaps the distribution of raid currency should be looked at and redistributed to be more in line with (or exclude) this type of content.

On this same note, one thing I think you guys did get right and did well was encouraging group play (but not making it mandatory) for quests/farming rep/etc on the Timeless Isle. Content like this that is designed in such a way that it fosters working together and interacting with other players in a postive, "it's better if we do it together" kind of way is what makes the game much more enjoyable and engaging, in my opinion (single player design is folly for this game, as it was never intended to compete with single-player RPG games. The MMO aspect of the game is WoW's USP and should be heavily focused upon).

4. Interactive & in-game Armory and Reputation System.

I love the Armory. I think the popular site OpenRaid.us uses a very similar approach to their character profiles because the Armory is so good. What's missing is that the Armory is only located out of game, and that it does not include any sort of reputation system with it. With flex and PuG raiding becoming the standard in WoD, I think having a way for other players to quickly and easily see a person's gear, raid experience, and reputation in group settings is a mandatory feature.

As for reputation, something as simple as an optional rating system could be used where a player is able to right-click another players portrait and upvote or downvote a player. Naturally, any system you put in place is subject to abuse, regardless of its intended use or purpose, but here are a few ideas that could easily help to maintain the integrity of such a reputation system (and make it more useful/fun):

- Must be in group/raid/dungeon setting in order for voting ability to be active (similar to vote to kick feature).
- Voting feature does not become active until one boss or objective has been cleared (deserter debuff does something similar).
- You can vote for multiple players per day, but you can only vote on an individual player's reputation once per daily reset.
- When you're the "Instance Leader," votes toward your reputation go toward your Instance Leader ranking.
- Different reputation tresholds could offer titles or rewards.
- Reputation deteriorates over time, causing all players to eventually return to netrual reputation if inactive. This gives people who earn poor reputation multiple chances, while encouraging consistent positive behavior by all throughout the life of the game.
- Because of different classes/roles/specs/abilities, reputation is not account wide.

5. Environment Effects.

Nighttime, rain, snow, etc all add to a level of immersion that I think players love. Not enough of it in the game at the moment, in my opinion.

That's all I got for now. Hope it's constructive/helpful and encourages discussion that is the same.
Heirloom/toy journal is coming in WoD

But I like the idea of a tabard journal. Just started playing my shaman again and noticed that his bank is absolutely full of tabards.
Heirloom/toy journal is coming in WoD

Didn't know that. That's awesome. I can't count how many fun items of passed up or destroyed because of ever precious bank space. Tabard journal would free up some entire bank bags, too.
God, I wish there were environmental effects. A day/night cycle based on the location of the server, and random weather effects. It would be so great to be able to see Elwynn forest covered in snow, or a rain storm.
1. Tabard Journal, Gear Sets Journal, Fun Items Journal

As Baeric mentioned, Gear and Fun journals are already planned for WoD.

Tabards are a bit more problematic, some of them are on-use items.

2. ReadID Features & Improvements

Agreed. It's appalling to me that there's no appear-offline function. Also, apply these to Battle.net too. I also hate that the individual character I'm playing is displayed to others.

In theory, this is already in the works, although it's been months since Blizzard promised it was coming. http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/7315729

3. Meaningful Small-Group Content

Hmm.. I've got mixed feelings about this. I do like 5-person content, however, I understand why they've chosen to invest more heavily in the LFR content. The 5-person content really does age more poorly through out a content cycle. The 25-person LFR stuff retains relevance longer, despite it's flaws and despite it's detractors.

I'd like to see more 5-person content, but if it comes down to a choice between more LFR (and/or raid level) content, and more 5-persons (which, in fact, Blizzard has indicated is the actual choice) then I think I'd rather see the raid level content being worked on.

4. Interactive & in-game Armory and Reputation System.

Karma systems are ... tricky.

I'd prefer if you got to vote per account, and only vote once, ever. That is, you get to vote once per YOUR account on any individual character belonging to another. That way you can't log in 10 characters and down-vote someone 10 times.

Rep decay is probably essential, yes.

5. Environment Effects.

Agreed, I'd be happy if they were just client side. Especially night time. I long for the days when Night was dark.

(I am a Night Elf after all).
more looms to complete my d1 sets
1. Already coming. Not sure about tabards.
2. If you don't want someone to know you're online, why are they on your realID friend list in the first place? Yahoo chat this is not. I don't think this would be worth their resources to work on and implement.
3. There's a ton of stuff you can do at 90, but I'll concede that your idea is decent.
4. In-game armory? I don't know about this. If you form a group for a raid, I'd assume you already know everyone or trust that everyone is geared appropriately.
5. I agree 100% with this. The weather effects in the game are a joke right now. Sure you might get some half hearted rain now and again, but almost every day is clear and sunny. I'll also go one step farther and say that we need day/night cycles and different mobs, herbs, and ores that spawn during each period.

Not a bad suggestion thread overall, I've seen worse. The weather idea is the best one, but I do believe I've read people asking on these forums for this element to change before.
4. In-game armory? I don't know about this. If you form a group for a raid, I'd assume you already know everyone or trust that everyone is geared appropriately.

I don't know how a person would know this information with flex/x-realm raiding taking center stage these days. But for normal raiding, yes, I see what you're saying.

It would be extremely helpful for PuG raid organizers to be able to quickly and easily flip to a page in-game that gives a raid-ready rundown of the player(s) looking to join their PuG. Gear, experience and kills, reputation, etc.
01/07/2014 02:38 PMPosted by Pullsalot

I don't know how a person would know this information with flex/x-realm raiding taking center stage these days. But for normal raiding, yes, I see what you're saying.

It would be extremely helpful for PuG raid organizers to be able to quickly and easily flip to a page in-game that gives a raid-ready rundown of the player(s) looking to join their PuG. Gear, experience and kills, reputation, etc.

Oh yeah for a non-guild PUG I suppose you could use it. Stick with at least mostly all guild PUG's for Flex and above if you can I guess. At least there's some familiarity with one another.
01/07/2014 02:20 PMPosted by Tasida
Tabards are a bit more problematic, some of them are on-use items.

An idea I just had is to put the on-use effect (if it's an "on-equip" effect,make it on-use) in the vanity tab and the cosmetic effect (the look of the tabard) in a tabards tab.
What do you all think about the player reputation idea?

With as many "the community is toxic/bad/getting worse" threads as there are every day, I'm surprised such a feature isn't suggested more often.

I honestly thought I would get flamed pretty heavily for that one. (Not that I'm looking to get flamed, just pleasantly surprised).