[BUG] Two bugs with Druid Bear Form Swipe

Bug Report
I tested these bugs on my druid who was level 73 at the time I tested them.

The bear form Swipe ability has two bugs in patch 4.0.3a

First bug) The first bug is that the swipe ability has been reduced in damage by 75 to 80%. On my level 73 druid, I use to do 1000 damage per monster, if I hit 3 monsters standing together. Now I am doing 222 to 250 damage per monster. In the official patch notes for version 4.0.3a, it lists damage reduction for swipe as being 20%. Therefore according to the official patch notes, I should be doing 20% less damage and getting around 800 damage per monster. The 75% to 80% damage reduction is a serious bug and is not in accordance with the official patch notes. The Official Patch Notes state that it is suppose to be 20% damage reduction. Can this please be fixed, so it is only 20% damage reduction, as the official patch notes state.

Second bug) The second bug is the threat level generated by Swipe has been reduced to almost zero. Before when using swipe on 3 monsters standing together, the monsters would attack you. Now after patch 4.0.3a, the monsters just ignore you when you use swipe on them. And they walk off and attack other party members. Druids from level 36 to 80 only have ONE ability for tanking groups of monsters and that ability is Swipe. With Swipe bugged, it is now impossible to use bear form to tank groups of monsters. This is a more serious bug then the lost of damage which I reported as bug number one. As a druid in bear form, you are a tank. The only thing that matters is how much threat you generate. The bug in Swipe that causes it to generate almost no threat, makes it impossible to play your character's class when in bear form. A bug that makes it impossible to play a class, is a VERY serious bug and needs to be addressed immediately. You can't tank groups of monsters due to this bug.

Can these bugs in the Swipe ability pleased be address and fixed. I'm trying to have fun and enjoy playing the game as a druid tank. And right now, I can't even tank, if its a group of monsters. You can't even play your character's class due to these bugs in Swipe.
I think a lot of people are focusing on the damage reduction bug, and ignoring everything else.

But the most serious bug is the lost of threat generation in Swipe.

When you are in bear form, you don't care how much damage you are doing. What you do care about is protecting the rest of the team by having the monsters attacking you, instead of your team mates.

Deathknights, paladins and warriors, all have working and functional ways to attack multiple targets and gain threat on those targets. Druids in bear form only have ONE ability for getting threat on multiple targets and that ability is now broken. If you use the Swipe ability on a bunch of monsters, those monsters pretty much ignore you, and go off to attack the rest of the team. Swipe generates almost zero threat since patch 4.0.3a.

The threat generation of Swipe needs to be fixed and that should take top priority.
OP is correct. I intended on leveling as a bear but since the patch I cannot hold threat on groups biggers than three. I have now gone cat dps with 10 minute que's :(
Yes the damage of swipe is certainly way off, and I very highly doubt thrash is going to fix it either. Thrash is basically only there to get bleeds up on targets and doesn't hit much harder than swipe does. I had full vengenance stacks on H LK the other day and even with 14378 AP it only hit for 2.1K dmg. The tooltip was somewhere in the 10K range which still is low. The ability should scale 1-1 with AP imo or else give it a 900% threat modifier like war's got with rend. I know the 900% is overstating it but it feels that way when they charge in put 1 rend up then TC and they can AFK the rest of the pull.
Also posted on the original thread @ http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1118281948?page=1.

My swipe is also not in accordance with my TT. I am doing about 75%-80% less dmg with Swipe post-4.0.3. Prior to the patch, my Swipe was hitting for ~ 4500+ per mob; now it is hitting for no more than 1400 per mob, sometimes as low as 988 per mob. That is not a 20% reduction.
I think a lot of people are focusing on the damage reduction bug, and ignoring everything else.

But the most serious bug is the lost of threat generation in Swipe.

When you are in bear form, you don't care how much damage you are doing. What you do care about is protecting the rest of the team by having the monsters attacking you, instead of your team mates.

Deathknights, paladins and warriors, all have working and functional ways to attack multiple targets and gain threat on those targets. Druids in bear form only have ONE ability for getting threat on multiple targets and that ability is now broken. If you use the Swipe ability on a bunch of monsters, those monsters pretty much ignore you, and go off to attack the rest of the team. Swipe generates almost zero threat since patch 4.0.3a.

The threat generation of Swipe needs to be fixed and that should take top priority.

Threat generation is largely based on damage done. If you're ability is bugged that it's doing a lot less damage than it should then it's naturally going to generate a lot less threat than it should. People are focusing on the damage aspect of this issue because it's most likely the only real issue. When the damage issue is resolved the threat issue will most likely go away as well.
Threat generation is largely based on damage done. If you're ability is bugged that it's doing a lot less damage than it should then it's naturally going to generate a lot less threat than it should. People are focusing on the damage aspect of this issue because it's most likely the only real issue. When the damage issue is resolved the threat issue will most likely go away as well.

With computers and computer programming, I try to follow the scientific method. The scientific method teaches you to never make any assumptions and to not group things together.

So when I report the bug here, I made it clear that it may be two seperate bugs. One of the things I considered when reporting it, is that threat generated is much different then the amount of damage done. I do around 650 dps when in bear form on my druid, but other people on the team will do around 2000 dps. Even with people who are doing 3 times as much damage as me on the team, I am able to maintain a high enough threat level for "single target" that the monsters attack me. I use things like lacerate which generate a high level of threat but do little damage.

I don't know how Swipe works, and if the threat generated is directly related to damage done, or there is something else going on in the programming that decides how much threat is generated. It would really suck if everyone reported that the only bug in Swipe is the amount of damage done, and Blizzard only looked into and fixed the amount of damage done, and the amount of threat generated was not fixed. Thats why I report it as two bugs and thats why I try to emphasize that the amount of threat generated is the real problem and real concern of everyone. Nobody really cares how much damage they do in bear form, but they do care about how much threat is generated.

You may be right, and it may all be one bug and once the damage done is fixed, the threat generated may also be fixed. But I rather play it safe and report it as two seperate bugs, so that both issues are looked into by Blizzard. With emphasis on the threat generated being the priority.
Bump as it still has not received a reply that I have seen...
Guess bear form is now only useful for bearhumping <.<
Keep in mind that swipe damage was reduced twice -- the official patch notes have a 20% reduction and a subsequent hotfix has an additional 17% reduction on top of that. I sat down with a druid friend who tested it out, and his damage with no gear was correct if you account for the tooltip being accurate for the damage before those reductions. (These two reductions together are an approximate 33.6% reduction, so multiply the tooltip number by 0.664 to get the average you should be reaching with it.)

I can't speak much to the threat generation, but I believe the damage numbers are as intended. Regardless, you will be doing very little aoe tanking in a few days, so you can take a little comfort in that.
It is clearly a bug that needs to be dealt with asap. Move states it does 1120 damage (Lvl 80) and I can barely crit for higher than that. 1220 with 5.65k ap. That is tanking one mob, self buffed. The threat aspect I am sure, as it was stated above, is directly proportional to damage and has no threat increase because I still gain a little threat at the start of battle.
This bug is really irritating me making it very hard to tank more than a three mobs in a heroic dungeon when I have a gs of +5.5k They better fix this on Tuesday before cata comes out or there will be some very mad druid tanks.
please fix this tanking as a druid isnt fun better yet itsn possible with people in grp over 4k dps kinda sucks to pay for this game and cant enjoy it (so blizz says they want everyone to do) please fix it and stop nerfing people 80-90% when u say its a 10% reduction and also druid tanks rely on dodge/stam so why take 10% hps from us when thats our 2nd primary stat? see if this is fixed before next game wow kill druid is released(bears/cats) moonkin still op imo
Nice to see people are having the same problem with me on feral druid tanking. I recently quit playing my druid because I am fed with it's broken tanking and that was all I did on my druid was tank. Swipe does little to no damage then has a 6 sec CD on it, so if you are fighting more than one mob, especially in Cataclysm you party wipes because you can not hold the treat at all. Blizzard please fix swipe and get rid of the CD so feral druid tanks can have there one AoE attack back.
Since getting THRASH i have found it much easie to aoe tank as a druid at 85.

The main problems i find are,

A) RAGE: at the start of a pull there 2 ways to get rage 1 by going into bear form gaining 10 rage(1 DR not even enough threat to hold agro after the first heal) and enrage wich increases damage done to you by 10%.... like come on same amount of rage as BS for warriors but thiers is a buff and ours is a debuff like come on.

B) MITIGATION: i know druids are dodge tanks but with the buffs other classes get from specing tank for there respective class bear does not match up very well, we just seem to come up lacking in the mitigation department becoming more of a mana drain on the healer then a tank. Bliz need to either increase the proc rate on SD or change the way it works(for me it tends to proc every 2 sec when tanking multiple mobs it is next to nothing)

Actually my main is a Druid Tank. Trash is BEAUTIFUL for threat once you are max level. I thrash and everything is glued to me and each tick sky rockets my threat. On Algalon I am also making DK's work their butts off for threat thanks largely to the threat provided by Thrash, as well as an intelligently cycled rotation. It's nice to finally be at the top of the threat with ease rather then breaking my back to keep up on it.

On the other hand YES swipe is SEVERELY broken, it doesn't to anything for dmg and gives virtually NO threat at all. I don't even use it anymore except when I'm alternating it with thrash to burn adds.
Trobyo

Yes, they USED to have a GODLY health lead over other tanks to make up for the lack of mitigation and it worked out very well (was around 63k unbuffed health in Wrath and I could go as high as 156k health with CD's and buffs). Now they have almost the exact same health as other tanks so they are at a dis-advantage.
Warriors and pallys can get mass argo so easy. I can even get mass argo super easy and hold it. I don't know why blizzard would have a idea to nerf a tank swipe like that. Dumb. Might as make a druid bear a power dps hitter. Slow attacks, but each hit is 40,000 damage.

Bears were the Health pool tank, If you faught a boss that did big hits. You had the bear MT it. Now that bear health pool is gone - plus leader of the pack is nerfed. Bear tanks are really worthless in my book. I have not seen a bear yet in a heroic 5 man.