Problems with ret PvP

Paladin
My main is a ret pally and I am just having the worst time with PvP right now. I have PvP gear and a PvP spec, but I'm still pretty much useless in BGs. I can barely do any damage, and most casters seem to absorb most of my damage. This problem really seemed to crop up post-4.0.1. Before that, I was able to do considerable damage in PvP. I'm also extremely squishy for some reason despite wearing plate PvP gear. Anyone have any useful PvP tips for a ret in 4.0.3?
spend some time with the brand new old world, PvP isn't gonna be very good until you hit 85
roll a mage

level/gear up in a week?

rofl

dec 7th isn't far off
Well, I can't say I'm terribly good at pvp on my ret paladin either. However, I have noticed that basically there needs to be a paradigm shift going from "Pre-4.0.3" to "Post-4.0.3". Ret is now more of a supportive, defensive hybrid and I have the most success working as this. Can I blow people up with Avenging Wrath, an Art of War proc and some lucky crits? Yes. Is that reliable? Not particularly.

The most success I've had, and believe me it has been limited even here, is to support flag carriers or other important players. Since our damage has significant ramp-up time, I suggest playing to its strengths and attempting to help other players as well as yourself outlast the enemy. In current terms, this means Cleanse snares/roots off yourself, HoF/HoP your allies and use Word of Glory. And use it often. If you can get a decent team of people together, practice and practice and practice some more. Ret was never the face-rolling annihilator people like to paint it as but there is no denying that we do not have the on-demand burst we once possessed. While before, especially in the cluster !*@* that BGs currently are and have been, a lone Ret could do disgusting things, we are now much more a "team player." Not as much as Blizzard would pretend we are but it is certainly a role we play better than others available to us.

Take what I say lightly, as I am nowhere near an experience paladin. For far better advice from far better paladins, go to retpaladin.com.
Ice lance
Well, I can't say I'm terribly good at pvp on my ret paladin either. However, I have noticed that basically there needs to be a paradigm shift going from "Pre-4.0.3" to "Post-4.0.3". Ret is now more of a supportive, defensive hybrid and I have the most success working as this. Can I blow people up with Avenging Wrath, an Art of War proc and some lucky crits? Yes. Is that reliable? Not particularly.

The most success I've had, and believe me it has been limited even here, is to support flag carriers or other important players. Since our damage has significant ramp-up time, I suggest playing to its strengths and attempting to help other players as well as yourself outlast the enemy. In current terms, this means Cleanse snares/roots off yourself, HoF/HoP your allies and use Word of Glory. And use it often. If you can get a decent team of people together, practice and practice and practice some more. Ret was never the face-rolling annihilator people like to paint it as but there is no denying that we do not have the on-demand burst we once possessed. While before, especially in the cluster !*@* that BGs currently are and have been, a lone Ret could do disgusting things, we are now much more a "team player." Not as much as Blizzard would pretend we are but it is certainly a role we play better than others available to us.

Take what I say lightly, as I am nowhere near an experience paladin. For far better advice from far better paladins, go to retpaladin.com.

This. I've noticed with our new immobilization cleanse I can stick freedom on other players more often and it creates some amazing things. We make amazing support, and we can put the in dps when needed, but not all the time. We aren't the star of the show, however. I don't think the spec is for most people. It's amazing when played right though.

I have to agree with this. I've been trying to get better at using all the tools available to me as well as increasing my awareness. I've started using Hand of Sacrifice on some of my teammates to help them absorb damage and help myself from being CC'ed. I use Hand of Freedom on flag carriers, and I always use Hand of Protection on a healer/caster that's being attacked by a melee fighter.

I repent enemy healers (and flag runners) and hammer of justice them to keep them from healing (if it's off cooldown). Self-cleansing is awesome. When I'm running a flag, it's nice to know that you can shake off most roots/snares and I try to use Long Arm of the Law to gain additional speed.

I also almost exclusively use my Holy Power points for Word of Glory instead of Templar's Verdict. Keeping myself or a teammate alive is better than a little bit of damage unless they have a small amount of life left.

I need to start focusing on some of the changes that other classes got to predict their moves better. Since the patch I'm kinda lost, but I guess it really won't matter much until lvl 85.
Basically yes, when it comes to PVP in Ret, support is your new role... whether you like it or not, we've been somewhat forcefully "suggested" to be that, unless things change with certain of our current problems (Zealotry vs Mastery, inadequate gap closers etc) that from I read about beta pvp at 85, things don't look to rosy there either.

Can't tell anything with 100% tho, next few months will be full of ups and downs, tweaks and tunes, so at the moment patience will serve us best :)
Yes, go prot.
Holy Pally pvp is the sickest pvp spec in the game right now. Give it a try. One on one with equal gear and skill no class will come up on top of a Holy Pally. Prot isn't bad either. If you have a healer on you, you're pretty much unkillable.
roll a mage

level/gear up in a week?

rofl

dec 7th isn't far off

my gnome priest is 67
You need a pocket healer first of all...otherwise your just gonna die. Lots of rets are now used to running into a mob of ally/horde and swinging while able to stay alive on their own, and for the most part that just isnt viable anymore.

Time your cooldowns. i usually save my stun for when they are at 50% or something. pop wings and go to town. you can also use zealotry for burst (against cloth or non resil targets) or survivability for WoG spam.

run away from shadow priests.

Also, know what seal to use and what aura to use. Devo against warriors, ret against dual wielders, resistance against most casters. i use insight when i need more survivability/mana and i use justice when i need to keep someone from fleeing or kiting like a druid or a fire/arcane mage. sometimes i use truth because it hits harder even with 1 stack of censure on and PUG bgs arent organized anyway.

The most success I've had, and believe me it has been limited even here, is to support flag carriers or other important players. Since our damage has significant ramp-up time, I suggest playing to its strengths and attempting to help other players as well as yourself outlast the enemy. In current terms, this means Cleanse snares/roots off yourself, HoF/HoP your allies and use Word of Glory. And use it often.

Yep, and A lot of rets probably don't want to hear it, cause they don't like the supportive playstyle, but using Hands and WoG as much as possible while at the same time finding those windows of opportunity for Avenging Wrath burst damage is really the best way to play. It works especially well protecting fc's and healers at nodes.
Been trying that. Unfortunately with the way alliance is playing out, healing a retard doesn't help very much. Infact, being support for a retard doesn't help either.

Had the joy of watching a resto druid go out of his way to moonfire a repented target of mine once and go back to healing. I wanted to kill a man for that...

OH, and being holy is just as bad.
"Hey stay close so I can keep you alive!"
"LOL NAW, IMMA RUN IN AND GO RAMBO! LEEROY!" "WTF HOW I DIE?"
Basicly what op is saying is:

Wah wah wah i cant 1shot people with judgements anymore, this holy power mechanic is too hard, blizz please fix us!

MEANWHILE, mages continue to destroy everything in site.
When you're getting eaten by a mage, just close your eyes, whisper my name 3 times, and believe...