Dungeon Quest Experience Reduction

Dungeons, Raids and Scenarios
Prev 1 7 8 9 27 Next
i am lvl 34 now and i have gone threw all these lvls with just doing a little under 60 or so quests i see that the exp has droped for quests and you can lvl 10x times faster in dungens and bgs which is sad. so imo that jacked the game a bit but o well as long as i can lvl quickly im set. p.s more gold

"You don't know how many lvl 80s I've run into recently that leveled entirely through questing and have no idea how to instance. This is a horrible change."

Fix't that for you.
@Ashella

We will agree to disagree then.

Back in the day (your cue to roll your eyes...LOL!) questing was the way to do it. The quests you did lead to the dungeons. And we sat in front of the dungeon spamming for people to join us. While the meeting stones helped that (wtf is their point now btw???) we still had to actively seek people to dungeon with us. And this is where being a good player counted.

Ninjas got blacklisted. @sstards got kicked to the curb. Idiots who overpulled or aggroed with their pets got told "hell no". You LEARNED how to play your character, and play well, or you did NOT get invited to dungeon.

Well, this isn't totally like it was in vanilla no. You can STILL get sucked into a PuG of people you don't know. BUT....now it gives you more reason to get out there, do the damn quests, learn the lore and (omfg) READ the quests......to understand what's going on.

Nothing is funnier than the expression on a newb's face when they get to the culmination of a quest line and you see "LOLWUT?????"

Anyway, just me being a grumpy old man. Don't mind me.

Oh and......GET OFF MY LAWN!!! <smirk>

"You don't know how many lvl 80s I've run into recently that leveled entirely through questing and have no idea how to instance. This is a horrible change."

Fix't that for you.

There's no magic trick to instancing. Knowing your class is 98% of knowing "how to instance". The other 2% is knowing not to pull threat off of the boss because it might hit you once or twice before the tank gets control again.
I will concede this idea s probably for the better. I almost always gained near a full bar of XP on my Gnome priest and she quickly ended up the the majority of grey mobs in Redridge. And she DOESN'T have any heirlooms. Quite jarring.

Luckily, those Call to Arms billboards are a great idea, so she'll be hitting Northern STV tomorrow.

There's no magic trick to instancing. Knowing your class is 98% of knowing "how to instance". The other 2% is knowing not to pull threat off of the boss because it might hit you once or twice before the tank gets control again.

My point is that there isn't a "magic trick" to instancing as there isn't to questing. The idea that questing makes you know your class far more than instancing is a pretty laughable one.
@Ashella

We will agree to disagree then.

Back in the day (your cue to roll your eyes...LOL!) questing was the way to do it. The quests you did lead to the dungeons. And we sat in front of the dungeon spamming for people to join us. While the meeting stones helped that (wtf is their point now btw???) we still had to actively seek people to dungeon with us. And this is where being a good player counted.

Ninjas got blacklisted. @sstards got kicked to the curb. Idiots who overpulled or aggroed with their pets got told "hell no". You LEARNED how to play your character, and play well, or you did NOT get invited to dungeon.

Well, this isn't totally like it was in vanilla no. You can STILL get sucked into a PuG of people you don't know. BUT....now it gives you more reason to get out there, do the damn quests, learn the lore and (omfg) READ the quests......to understand what's going on.

Nothing is funnier than the expression on a newb's face when they get to the culmination of a quest line and you see "LOLWUT?????"

Anyway, just me being a grumpy old man. Don't mind me.

Oh and......GET OFF MY LAWN!!! <smirk>

Yeah, see, what I remember is a bit different...

I remember doing quests in a zone, stumbling onto a dungeon and having a quest or two for it. I'd get excited and look for a group for the dungeon... ... ... nothing could be found in the zone, so I would leave the zone where I was questing, where the dungeon was, and head back to a main city (often times using a hearthstone, which, remember, used to be 60 minutes for a CD).

I'd get back to the city and often times spending forever looking for a group. Sometimes I would simply give up and head back. Sometimes I would get a higher-level person to run me through the dungeon. It wasn't ideal, because it didn't give me the experience of actually "doing" the dungeon, so I played for... god... who knows how long never learning how to properly play the game.

Even though I started in Vanilla, life and the grind of the game fought against me and I didn't get a character until max level until Burning Crusade, the grind was just insanely long, and I was new to the game, so I didn't realize how much I was doing wrong. Quest flow was unintuitive. Oh, and remember how I said I'd get excited after I got a quest for a dungeon and go do it? I'd later find 3 or 4 more quests for the dungeon, and have to go back quite a few times to complete them all. This wouldn't have been a problem if groups were easy to come by, but it usually meant waiting for a high-level friend to become available to mindlessly run me through it.

When I did reach max level in Burning Crusade I was so pumped to do raiding. Except... I found out that were all of these attunements to do and I needed to gather gear from heroic dungeons, but all of the heroic dungeons were locked, so I had to do them in a very specific order. And, remember, finding a group wasn't an easy thing to do, it often meant sitting in a city trying to get a pug together. I knew I needed to find a guild to do what I wanted to do, but it's sort of rough finding a guild when you barely know how to play your class and you've just reached the max level.

To top it all off, the grinding was pretty insane. I remember talking to one friend who raided, and she was mining something like 900 adamantite ore for resistance gear for her raid so they could do the dungeon. That turned me off pretty fast. I focused on my college studies and didn't raid at all in Burning Crusade.

Then Wrath of the Lich King comes along. I get two characters to max level (the one I got to max in BC and a Death Knight). Raiding becomes more open, and so does acquiring the gear needed to raid. I visited all kinds of websites so I could become a better player and I worked hard to fight my way into good groups and get things done. I had fun because I got to do a lot, and there was minimal grinding involved. The quests in Northrend were exciting and I got to see a lot of good lore to culminate a Warcraft experience that started with Warcraft 3 (then backtracked to the other Warcrafts).

There were negatives to changes too, as I mentioned before. Even though I took the time to personally learn the game, many people have abused the changes and used them to get to 80 not knowing how to play their character and then find their way into, say, ICC pugs and do very little, which is a major reason they fall apart. The dungeon queue system is awesome, but it also means that people are jerks to each other more often, are more inclined to social loafing (underperformance) and it's hard to meet new people when you can't even friend them, and there's very little incentive since most people want to do things as fast as possible (and I don't always blame them for that).

(cont)
(continued)

But on the whole, WoW has become a much better game. Back in Jan. almost a year ago now, I brought my Paladin up from 40-80 in under 2 weeks, it might have been closer to 1, I can't recall. This was mostly due to the dungeon finder and queueing as a healer. I got to learn my healing role pretty well, so I was already good to go at 80, and I got there very quickly. I didn't mind that I skipped a lot of quests, because I'd already done them twice.

I plan on making new characters in Cataclysm specifically to go through all of the Old World content, I'm excited. I've already seen a lot of it and it looks fun and engaging. But what I don't like is being told that I'm doing it wrong if I want to do it differently, or if I want to skip stuff, or I want it to be done faster. Once you've done all the quests a couple times, they simply lose excitement and you just want to get through things a bit quicker, that's totally understandable. Blizzard has made great strides in allowing players to choose between seeing everything or zooming ahead, I hope they don't fall back too much from that.
Noticed this on my alt, and was surprised when I entered Northland and suddenly I wasn't leveling every instance ;)
I for one am glad they made this change. I think they should go even further and reduce xp for all quests. Leveling is ridiculously fast now and it is far to easy to outlevel the zone you are currently working on. The new quest lines for many of the zones are so cool that I want to experience everything. This game has really become much less challenging over the years. I know a lot of players just want to rush to endgame, but I don't see the fun in that. The whole game is supposed to be fun... if not, then why have a leveling process at all? Just start everyone at 80 (or 85 now, I guess).

The other problem is fighting things that are at your own level isn't even challenging. If I'm on a level 20 alt, I want to have a little trouble fighting level 20 mobs. They don't aggro until you are almost on top of them, and even in camps they mostly aggro one at a time. There is no "fear factor" anymore. The new quests are FUN, but they will wear thin unless they present some sort of a challenge.

I know I have gotten way off topic, but the bottom line is this: the super fast leveling is just one symptom of the problematic easiness of the game. I guess Blizzard doesn't want to scare away even the most casual of players, but the hand holding, wimpy foes, and whirlwind leveling is ultimately not good for the game.
I would say the pacing for the zones was about right as you finish a zone at your appropriate level. It's just once you did a few instances or won a BG or two that you really outleveled your zone quick. It got to the point by mid-20's that half the quests in Duskwood were green or gray and I walked into northern STV too high-lvl for the zone so I had to skip it and go to Thousand Needles.

I like to power-level, but I want to experience the new revised content. I leveled in Vanilla and I remember the grueling running around from zone to zone to get 3 quests that were your level and the rest were red.

It's also bad enough that I practically one-shot everything on my hunter as well. It gets boring when one explosive shot solos mobs after a while.
your all wrong, i was so happy i could actually just do each dungeon once to lvl my new alt. i do not finding questing fun in the slightest, it takes too long and usually involves some silly thing a hero would never do. and they nerfed quests that were giving 10k exp down to 3.5k that's a little absurd. now i have soo much less interest in diff toons other than my 80's. oh and did i mention with less abilities and talent pts each lvl feels less rewarding so slowing down leveling is even worse, eew yuck give me back decent exp from dungeon questing, oh and put in dungeon quest people at the beginning of outland and northrend instances
Was a needed change. It was funny when I was taking OFF heirlooms since I was leveling too fast of all things.
If people like questing then quest but dungeons were a nice way to not have to do that, ive leveled 5 toons past the old world i like the idea of a fast way to do it.
You level slightly slower and get to see the new zones. Deal with it.
I agree with this change.

Just doing the instance and its quests you easily gain 1-3 levels a run. Couple of 20 minute queues and you outpace your zone really quick.

This happened to me a few times where the mobs in the zone turned grey on me and I was disappointed I had to leave the zone and go somewhere else cause I wanted to experience the new leveling flow.

For the past several days, I've leveled my warrior almost exclusively in dungeons, and I get, after completing the quests for that dungeon, 1 level gained, each time, every time. What 20 minute dungeons have you been doing that reward 3!?
Edit: Wanted to point out that I've gone from 17-45 from dungeons so far. Has it been fast? Yeah. Omgfasterthenleveling fast? No.
How come there is no dislike button for the first post?

If people were so worried about outleveling their precious zones then don't do those quests, or heck, they shouldn't even run the dungeon in the first place as the experience from clearing the dungeon would easily boost their level.

And if you are going to spout on about wanting to do the quests and new zones for lore then well, you can still do quests when they are grey.

For the people questioning why some of us would rush through the game a fast as possible to max level and missing half the game. Well maybe some of us plan to come back and do the quests when we are bored and have nothing else to do.
I think this is a stupid change IMO.

I've lore'd and level'd enough. I don't want to slowly grind and quest again and again for my alts.

A nice quick zip to lvl 60/80 and i'm happy to get another character going. And no, I don't want a DK, thanks. :P