prot leveling thread?

Paladin
Post Limit:
I level a lot of alts and I'm constantly seeing horribad pally tanks. I generally direct them to Xayton's thread, but I was wondering if a leveling thread might be a bit better as Xayton gears his guide to end game. I entertained the idea before, think I made a post about it on the old forum, but with so many new tauren pallies perhaps it's time to think about it again?

Any opinions?
seconded, I just ran with a cowadin tank who kept spaming exo until he was oom
seconded, I just ran with a cowadin tank who kept spaming exo until he was oom

This makes me cringe. :(
Really it can be confusing for low level paladins cause they don't have the aoe aggro that warriors do. Not sure when bears get swipe now either but pallies don't get any aoe until i think 22 or 24 when they get consecration. After that it's holy wrath at 28 and (if you take it, which you should) hammer of the righteous at 29. When you get that it's gravy. But, honestly just tell your paladin tank to open with captain america's shield and to use it on CD other than that just tab target crusader strike. I really never had to use consecration once I got it.

As to the thread though, yeah I've seen tons of really bad paladins running around trying to tank. More than any other class really. It's kinda scary. I'm levelling my paladin now, it's 29 doing tank cause instant queues it was annoying early on but just as good as any other.

But those warriors and their rending thunderclap made me jealous for a long time :(
I had to do this on my DK tank and I'm sure it was a valuable skill to take to a lowbie paladin, but sticking Omen right under your character so you can plainly see it, using Threat Plates with the tank bars so you know how your aggro is relative to your party, and setting up mouseover macros for your single target threat abilities and keeping threat high on your targets is a pretty solid move for early level tanking. It is easier for Warriors early on but everything is. :p
Prior to 4.0.3, I actually tanked 1-45'ish as Holy. Reckoning on, Holy Shock/WoG spam on myself kept me going forever, even with nothing but cloth. If a warrior pulled aggro, it was easy enough to heal them.

I think the mark of a prot knowing what they are doing is to watch the DPS charts. I've never not been top DPS since speccing prot, usually have more DPS than the other 3 combined.
You party with really bad DPS then. My DPS is doing 9-12k each in just heroics.
Really it can be confusing for low level paladins cause they don't have the aoe aggro that warriors do. Not sure when bears get swipe now either but pallies don't get any aoe until i think 22 or 24 when they get consecration.

This could not be more wrong. As soon as you put your first point in Prot you get avengers shield which is more than enough to hold aggro. At level 28-30 or so you can get HoTR & holy wrath for more AoE goodness. Consecrate is actually pretty terrible for aggro (given its high CD and mana cost).
Well, my idea for the thread was to help a tank through lower level dungeons up to about 75 or so before sending them on their way to Xayton's thread. I'd only cover what talents to take first, what to focus on, what type of gear to snag, and some general good advice. Like not using exorcism in combat. Ugh.
I bet you would do a great job making such a guide!!!

Ill give you a sticky request if you make it!
While Blizzard gives you some of your tanking skills when you select protection, they certainly don't give you the full arsenal and these days you have to contend with most if not all of your dps having heirlooms and chances are they don't like to wait either.

At level 28 you get Holy Wrath and at level 36 you get Righteous Defense for an AoE taunt. Hammer of the Righteous is your 11 point talent and Shield of the Righteous is your 16 point talent, so you have to change your tanking style as those become available. Early on you probably need to just learn to tab a lot between mobs and you'll continue to use that until your AoE makes that less important.

I agree that with all the new tauradins the lack of clue has put us back to the beginning of BC in some ways, so a guide that covers 15-40 and then 40 to 80 are in order. There will be more than enough posts covering 80-85 over the next few weeks.
I bet you would do a great job making such a guide!!!

Ill give you a sticky request if you make it!

Yay support! :D I might work on this in English class then. :3

I agree that with all the new tauradins the lack of clue has put us back to the beginning of BC in some ways, so a guide that covers 15-40 and then 40 to 80 are in order. There will be more than enough posts covering 80-85 over the next few weeks.

You're actually pretty spot on for early tanking. I won't even begin to try for 80-85, I'll leave that to the people who are better at it than I am. However, I've so far leveled two prot pallies and I'm working on a third for my boyfriend and his roommate (they wanted a tank for leveling alts and I needed one quickly to help, so pally it was.) I think I could put together a decent enough little guide with some help from various parties. :)