Why bring a ret in rated bgs?

Paladin
What does ret bring to the table that a warrior and dk cant bring?
Aside from BoP and maybe Seal of justice i cant see a reason to bring them.
While i can see their place in arena i can see the reason to bring a ret.
Freedom is great to give out and WoG heals are awesome but why not just bring a holy?
I'm having a really hard time finding a place where rets would excel.

Free HK's.
Rets need balancing not nerfing
So IF rets bring little to nothing to the table are there any ideas to make them viable?
I believe the loss of cleanse has a huge impact but what other things would bring rets up to scale?
nothing honestly, maybe insane burst for healers? Wings + HoW
With Zealotry and wings any half decent player will purge them instantly.

You over estimate the skill of the average opponent in PvP.

100k health in cata will have to put a /deny stamp on that
ret brings healz while still bringing melee dpz and not being limited by form (feral) or totems (enhancement)

Aside from BoP and maybe Seal of justice i cant see a reason to bring them.
While i can see their place in arena i can see the reason to bring a ret.
Freedom is great to give out and WoG heals are awesome but why not just bring a holy?
I'm having a really hard time finding a place where rets would excel.

When you have objectives like flag carrying and defending nodes, the name of the game is surviving. And ret probably has the best tools as a melee dps'r to protect and help your healer out, who in turn does the same for the whole group. Ret might be a priest's best friend seeing how they are a bit squishier than the other healers.

Say you have a priest or shaman healer with you. When that healer is feared, silenced, stunned or just overwhelmed, a ret can back up healing with WoG or lessen the focus dmg with Hand of Sac, and even Repent (among other uses). DK/Warr can't. When your healer is getting molested by more than 1 or 2 melee, a DK/War can't do much about it whereas ret has a BoP for the healer. Now that ret can cleanse themselves of snares, that frees up the ret to use Freedom much more frequently on others. Speaking of Cleanse, now a healer doesn't have to babysit that aspect of being snared, rooted with a ret whereas they do with DK/War.

So why not bring a holy paladin? Cause you already have a priest healer, and 2 healers at that node or flag carrier might be overkill.
Damage + healing support.

Ret is really about doing some damage and supporting your teammate, thus having talents like selfless healer and Eternal glory can definitely turn the tides in large group battles if used correctly. You also have other options like using freedom and BoP.

Your thinking of blizzard old philosophy of the game. Classes are not meant to be brought for there abilities but instead their skill level.

You could go holy, but ret is there if you would like a exchange a little less healing(without giving it up completely) for more damage.
if you use your holy power to give out WoG's, your damage will be utterly worthless. better to bring a holy paladin who will do much better healing, and can spam exorcism for pretty much the same damage. And its ranged. ret brings nothing, holy paladins are far more useful, if not another class. thank you, come again.

Not really, TV doesn't account for that much damage, it hits like a wet noodle at 80. I've seen people say its because its based on weapon damage, but as our weapons scale in cata so will everyone health pools, so its not going to make a difference.
This kind of discussion really needs a deeper analysis of group comps for the much larger RBG groups. You cannot single out one class/spec like this in general, and you assume initially that Any melee dps will be wanted.

Each battle ground for that week will additionally complicate this. Right now people are speculating that melee will be entirely removed from RBG raids for weekends like SotA.

Just saying. You need to discuss this wholelistically on the BG forum to get reasonable answers. You all need to start from the ground up, and talk about what each BG group should look like; For example, SotA people are talking about bringing nothing but 15 ranged dps with CC. And there are others argueing that you only need 8 (2 ranged x 4 tanks), 4 drivers, and a special 3man group to cap gys, etc.

This is the kind of discussion that needs to then lead to a list of what class/specs will or will not get invited to RBGs. You are missing all the relevant information with this topic.
Edit: repost catastrophe.