New Character Models and Graphic Performance

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 8 Next
i dont mean to hate on blizz but theyre losing subscribers left and right for new xbox games. how does living in the past benefit ur sub numbers instead of hurting. do you want a ps2 ball mouse or usb lazer mouse.... u tell me
01/24/2014 12:08 AMPosted by Skidward
i dont mean to hate on blizz but theyre losing subscribers left and right for new xbox games. how does living in the past benefit ur sub numbers instead of hurting. do you want a ps2 ball mouse or usb lazer mouse.... u tell me
Doooo u want ice cream or a cookie ... you tell me
Most armor in this game replaces some or all base model textures, so most of the extra polys won't even render. As far as I know armor isn't being redone, except maybe to fit the proportions of the new models.

The poly count for the new models is still pretty low by modern standards anyway, so I don't expect a noticeable change in performance unless you are playing on a 10 year old e-Machine.
If your PC can't handle the updates, it's obviously too old (assuming you're already running on low). Time to buy a new one, old tech can't be supported forever, people need to realise this.

I recently built my cousin a new PC after having some crummy laptop for 4 years. He couldn't be happier. The amount of things you miss out in this game playing on low, you might as well not play at all. He couldn't even see half the spell effects that he can now see, (LIKE FIRE ON THE GROUND) which has slightly improved his general game play. Settings that remove essential game play effects should be removed.

If you have the time to play this game, you have the time to make some money to buy a new PC or stop spending money on crap for awhile and save up. You will thank yourself later.

A new cut off point for the old is coming with WoD, this game needs to move forwards, with or without you.
It sucks, but I'm not even looking forward to WoD or the updates.

I was totally stoked for new models, but since whatever happened in the last major game patch, my FPS plummets to staggering single digits in main cities and sometimes in arena when a bunch of NPC pets are out. No idea what changed in the game. It's been since I could start seeing my server name after guild members and friends when they log in and out. As far as I know, no server I play on has been merged, but it's been awful.

Whatever it is causing it, leads me to think my laptop wont be handling the new models at all.

It's depressing.

01/24/2014 02:30 AMPosted by Zarkraz
If you have the time to play this game, you have the time to make some money to buy a new PC or stop spending money on crap for awhile and save up. You will thank yourself later.

It's great you have the ability to access so much disposable income. Though I wonder why you didn't just tell your cousin to "stop buying crap" instead of buying him a PC.

Oh, wait. Not everyone has disposable income they can drop on such expensive non-essential items.

What an asinine post.
01/24/2014 02:41 AMPosted by Thalëan
It's great you have the ability to access so much disposable income. Though I wonder why you didn't just tell your cousin to "stop buying crap" instead of buying him a PC.

Oh, wait. Not everyone has disposable income they can drop on such expensive non-essential items.

What an asinine post.

You sir fail at reading comprehension... he said build a computer not buy a computer for his cousin. For all we know his cousin could have bought the parts to build the new computer.

Any way on to my real post, i cant wait for the new models i'll probably upgrade my GPU and CPU this year to get ready for them just in case there is any frame rate drop in raids, i do play on mostly ultra settings but a little bit more power wouldn't hurt.
Yeah, getting a new comp can make a world of difference.

The first PC I played WoW on (I can only get laptops, don't have enough room or money for desktops) was a Dell from 2007.... It barely played WoW at all, let alone a game like Vindictus (which was unplayable, seriously). It lagged and I could only handle low graphics. That was only counting my FPS lag.

I never played Pandaland on that PC as I upgraded sometime near the end of Cata. With my new(er) PC, I can run graphics on High with 50 or so FPS, it does occasionally go down to 20 though. The worst is 11. The only lag I get is internet lag, rarely FPS lag. I have an i7 4 core Asus PC now. So it does make a world of difference. >.>
01/24/2014 03:52 AMPosted by Nonnisi
Yeah, getting a new comp can make a world of difference.

I want a new computer. :/

But I can't stop buying snacks ...
01/23/2014 03:12 PMPosted by Bashiok
My question is, do you have any idea at this time what that demand is going to be? I have signed up for Beta and my computer specs are listed there, but I also know that I get lag in raids and high graphic environments, like flying through heavily colored areas.

We don't, and we tend not to have updated system requirements/recommendations until most content is in, most big changes and engineering are done, and we're looking like there isn't going to be anything else that would greatly affect performance. So we won't really know absolutely until some point through the beta. We're keenly aware of the system requirements the new character models may require, and how that could impact client performance. No further details yet on how they'll be supported on lower end systems, if at all.

Fun fact, the game still supports processors and graphics cards that were released over 8 years ago. To put that in other terms, modern day systems are in some cases 50x more powerful than the lowest end systems the game still supports. Moving us forward graphically in such a dramatic way with the new models is going to require a lot of testing, tweaking, optimizing, and determination of what we can realistically support going forward, but we just don't know what that will look like yet.
This is good to hear, because I'm on a strict budget, and have a g4 family chipset that came with my computer in 2010 lol. So I don't know when I'll be able to upgrade my graphics card(chipset).
01/24/2014 04:45 AMPosted by Goretex
This is good to hear, because I'm on a strict budget, and have a g4 family chipset that came with my computer in 2010 lol. So I don't know when I'll be able to upgrade my graphics card(chipset).

Here is the annoying thing about video card upgrades, each generation gets more and more power hungry such that to upgrade to a new video card you have to upgrade your power supply too - and personally that is something I rather not touch as crappy power supplies will fry your PC's components.
01/24/2014 02:41 AMPosted by Thalëan
It sucks, but I'm not even looking forward to WoD or the updates.I was totally stoked for new models, but since whatever happened in the last major game patch, my FPS plummets to staggering single digits in main cities and sometimes in arena when a bunch of NPC pets are out. No idea what changed in the game. It's been since I could start seeing my server name after guild members and friends when they log in and out. As far as I know, no server I play on has been merged, but it's been awful.Whatever it is causing it, leads me to think my laptop wont be handling the new models at all.It's depressing.
In LK I had to play on an 05 dell. going to Dalaran was hell I could barely move, or do anything so most that expansion I tried to avoid Dalaran lol.
01/24/2014 04:48 AMPosted by Tempcharac

Here is the annoying thing about video card upgrades, each generation gets more and more power hungry such that to upgrade to a new video card you have to upgrade your power supply too - and personally that is something I rather not touch as crappy power supplies will fry your PC's components.
It is annoying, and every month/year a new better computer or vid card comes out, Very annoying I agree.
The guy still playing on a Pentium D, 2 gigs of single ram and pcie 1.0 video card says hi.
Don't be me...

Even I have to swallow my cheap pride and already have my list and budget for my next built.
Not even $500, on minimum wages too, like most.
01/23/2014 04:41 PMPosted by Tiapriestess
It will be a fail-safe in more ways than one - fail-safe against both technical and artistic failure.

Heh. Fun fact - we used to have round eyes for humans. Then with the first character model update they were changed to polygonal eyes for speedups. Apparently it was easier on the hardware to draw and shade a polygon than a circle/sphere (fewer points of gradient). Sadly, the speedup cost us in terms of aesthetics.

I miss my round eyes. And my avatar...again.

Oh, and I wouldn't call those anime eyes. They're more like "Final Fantasy" eyes.
Caution: This cookie bites back.

I remember this, and I agree they looked better than what we have now.

Also, WTB the name Sephiroth on my server for when BEs get a makeover. I can almost make his clone now, just think how much closer he'll be with a little bit of an upgrade!

Seriously, though. It's about time for WoW to move on to 2010 graphics. The new models don't look on par with the lastest MMO player characters, but they're a heck of a lot closer.

Model updates will help attract new players, IMO. I've had 2 friends pick up the WoW free trial and not make it past level 10 because "why bother, it looks just like Runescape".
They seriously need to do some optimizing of there engine if there going to upgrade models on such a large scale. And no doubt environment textures will have a higher detail then in MoP.

Even top end gaming systems i mean $1000 + machines have a hard time running wow in 25 mans at max settings.

if they keep going at this pace with the graphical improvements ultra settings isnt going to be viable for any PC in large scale raiding....thats not even counting world bosses (which MoP brought back) hell the servers cant even handle them.

They really need to find a way to utilize more CPU threads...as this is a heavily CPU bound game. CPUs have upto 8 cores these days..even utalizing 4 of those for the game would be a vast improvment.