Major Glyph: Long Word...useless?

Paladin
I'm looking at glyphs for my Holy and Prot setups...and I stumbled across this one.

I can't figure out what it's for. It cuts healing by 50%, then...gives back that 50% in the form of a HoT. But that HoT isn't equal to 75% of the original amount or anything. It's EXACTLY equal to the 50%.

In effect, you're taking your heal and delaying it, but not increasing it. It's like if you could take half the money you make and put it into a fund...but that fund doesn't gain interest, it just slowly gives you your own money back. Money you COULD have had all at once.

Now, one might make the argument that it would be useful for topping off people while simultaneously insulating them from future damage. For example, if you expect an incoming spike of raid-wide damage.

But with a 6 sec duration, this doesn't really hold. At MOST you could only put it on 3 people (if haste soft-capped) within 6 seconds, and the first of those people would only get one tick after the damage wave hit.

One could argue it would be nice for Prot if their WoGs overheal, but if they have 2 points into Guarded by the Light, they ALREADY have this, but BETTER! It takes the WHOLE amount that would otherwise be overheal and turns it into a 6 sec duration bubble. And bubble > HoT because it prevents the damage from coming in to begin with, and prevents/heals it all at once.

So yeah. I'm trying to figure out what the use is for this. Is this glyph totally useless? Maybe if it had an 8 second duration and the 50% restored via the HoT was increased to 60-75% (so that you'd actually see SOME gain in healing by using it), then it would make sense.

But as it is, I can't think of any logical reason to use this glyph in any of our specs. MAYBE some weird PvP application? o.O
Its the same as any other hot, its proactive healing. Prot wouldnt use it unless they dont have guarded by the light

Say you have 3 holy power, but are in a raid, or an environment that you are only missing 6k hp. it will top you off and keep a hot on you for any damage over the next 6 seconds, rather than pouring the other 6k directly into overhealing.

Also Holy Paladins WoG would often go mostly into overhealing when they would use it when it crit, this is a method in which to prevent a marginal amount of your WoG to be completely wasted, again its situational on if there will constant damage being taken or not in which the hot would be effective.

also in pvp, its a dispel shield.
Okay, so PvP then. Wondered about that. :)

As for the other situations - most tanks will probably have GbtL at the moment (the only real clear alternatives are 20 sec CD reduction off HoJ or more powerful and cheaper Consecration...which seems, at the moment, to be both a weak talent and a weak spell, especially as we move away from AOE situations and Bliz bumps us more on the HotR/HW train.)

For the Holy crit overheals...I could see that, but with our health pools increasing by a factor of somewhere between 3x and 5x, I don't think we're going to be doing much overhealing in Cata. Overhealing doesn't really work with the, "Every point of mana counts, because your heals aren't enough!" mindset that Cata is expected to follow.

...and even with that aside, 6 seconds, while an eternity in some situations, is also a VERY short time in most other situations.

If it was a mitigation bubble, I could see that being somewhat useful. If the HoT was for > 50%, so that you see a net increase in healing, I could see that being useful (increases total healing done and less chance of overhealing in some situations.)

But as it stands now...

...like you said, a dispel shield. Though even there, I think there are better major glyph choices for PvPers, aren't there?

Though...THAT said, dispel protection can be pretty invaluable in PvP. I'll give you that. ^_^
You kids these days.

Back when I was growing up, "Long Word" meant 32 bits!
Now you have me wondering. The glyph reads "Your Word of Glory heals for 50% less up front, but provides an additional 50% healing over 6 sec."

I took this as 50% up front, then the remaining 50% plus an additional 50% over 6 seconds. Now I have to check my logs later today...

If this is the case you're getting 150% of the original WoG over the 6 seconds. If this isn't how it works then this glyph seems pretty useless.
Testing Glyph of Long Word out, I'm not seeing heal ticks on my combat log. Anyone else have experience with this?
Can anyone provide an update on this? I've been curious about Long Word glyph.. thanks!
It felt way more useful in WOTLK. Back when I wasn't really relying on WOG to be my big, reliable heal. I would use it just for the sake of the HOT when the tank would obviously not need all of the healing from it.

But that's changed. I rely heavily on WOG if I can't get a good LOD off, or if I just need to get my tank up fast. I tried healing with the glyph of the long word and it was extremely difficult; I wouldn't recommend it.
See, here I wondered about if the glyph could have additional functionality even if only as ret, and yet prove to be really useful...

Selfless Healer Rank 2
When you heal others with your Word of Glory, it increases the effectiveness of the heal by 50% and increases your damage done by 4% per charge of Holy Power for 10 sec.

If Glyph of the Long Word counted as a Word of Glory heal (since technically that's what it is, right?), a ret paladin could prolong +12% damage for another 6 seconds, potentially being a DPS increase.
Useless Glyph IMO, yes... Want more examples of useless glyphs?

Have you seen the Judgement one? A prime glyph that increases Judgement damage by 10%. When my judgement cant 1hko a lvl 50 mob, why would I waste a prime glyph for 10% more damage? Also, it has 8s cooldown, so the dps gain is almost null.

What about the Beacon of Light? No mana on beacon, awesome! But it lasts 5min and costs less than a Holy Light!! why would I waste a glyph on that??

Meh... Blizzard could at least explain.
Even if the description of the Glyph is confusing and it gave a little extra health over time (which it does not appear to do, based on a few random tests), I didn't like using it. Why? If you are taking huge damage and get a free WoG using Eternal Glory, and spam WoG twice in quick succession, the HoT component of Long Word overwrites the earlier heal. You end up wasting a good amount of the heal.

Not recommended for Prot self-healing while tanking. Could potentially prevent overhealing in other scenarios, I suppose.
Useless Glyph IMO, yes... Want more examples of useless glyphs?

Have you seen the Judgement one? A prime glyph that increases Judgement damage by 10%. When my judgement cant 1hko a lvl 50 mob, why would I waste a prime glyph for 10% more damage? Also, it has 8s cooldown, so the dps gain is almost null.

What about the Beacon of Light? No mana on beacon, awesome! But it lasts 5min and costs less than a Holy Light!! why would I waste a glyph on that??

Meh... Blizzard could at least explain.

A free Beacon allows for multiple target swaps. I can see this being useful in a number of situations. It's no longer a "drop on the tank and forget it" spell, though the five minute duration does indeed allow for that particular use case.
this is more just out of curiosity, but if you were say prot in a scenario with a lot of smaller incoming damage sources would long word combined with GBtL
http://www.wowhead.com/npc=39640
would the hot be capable of proccing the bubble?
yeah it would be a smaller bubble, but if you were to WoG, not top off, but then heals gets you up and the hot tics and bubbles a bit.
it would be lke getting smaller bubbles (potentially) over a longer duration, provided the hot could proc GBtL, but meh.

just thinking of weird things, not really trying to be practical
I just tested this out because I was wondering it myself. I did 5 applications and took the average healing from the five. Each application was with 3 holy power stacks.

Without GotLW I averaged 772 healing per Word of Glory with 0 critical heals. This was 5 heals total.

With GotLW I averaged 910 healing healing per Word of Glory with 6 critical heals. This is 20 heals total (1 main heal + 3 ticks from the HoT).

What I've found is that without any crits, the healing is exactly the same as normal WoG. You get half up front and then 3 ticks of HoT. However, I seemed to proc a critical heal much more often because of how many heals are being cast.

It looks like this is merely a preference glyph.
I suspect you lose throughput, too. I don't think the hot ticks transfer to the beacon, which would mean you lose heals.

I get the point of having a HoT, but it seems this glyph could use some work. IMO, make it longer, make the HoT a little bigger. Wasting a glyph spot should provide a little bit of a throughput boost, like say 10% extra healing on the HoT part, I dunno.