Blinding Light

Paladin
I made a ticket about this earlier concerning the fact that Blinding Light pierces Cloak of Shadows.

Cloak of Shadows:
http://www.wowhead.com/spell=31224/cloak-of-shadows

Blinding Light:
http://www.wowhead.com/spell=115750/blinding-light

With that said, Blinding Light is Holy Magic. The GM had said that it is similiar to Rogue Blind and Warrior Fear. A type of physical spell. I understand that, but answer me this.

Why can Blinding Light be dispelled by Dispel Magic?
I really love threads like this because they demonstrate how little most people know about paladin spells and abilities.

Like a warrior's Initmidating Shout, Blinding Light is considered a fear DR according to Blizzard:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/10195910192?page=1#5

A lot of paladin spells have conflicting properties and seem to follow their own rules, some changing inexplicably from patch to patch.

Judgement is a historical example. Judgement is supposed to be a "ranged melee" attack but does holy damage, and like a spell can't be dodged or parried. It currently applies Censure which is a magic effect although it can't be dispelled. Hammer of Wrath has always been a wild card - like Judgement it's a ranged melee attack however it does holy damage and used to apply Seal debuffs (SoJ).

For a while Exorcism couldn't be used while BoPed even though it's always been considered a spell. You can still HoW through BoP but you can't Judge even though both are considered ranged melee attacks but are also spells somehow.

Blinding Light's ability to cut through CoS isn't surprising to anyone who's played this class long enough. It's not a bug.
What Sergeant Sideburns said above.
03/22/2014 10:08 PMPosted by Lygo
With that said, Blinding Light is Holy Magic. The GM had said that it is similiar to Rogue Blind and Warrior Fear. A type of physical spell. I understand that, but answer me this.

Ability type is not the same as debuff type, and while we're at it spell school is also not the same as ability type either. Just because a spell is physical doesn't mean it cannot belong to a non-physical school, or apply a magical debuff, as they're all completely separate qualities of an ability.
It is considered a fear DR, but it still is a magic ability just like all our abilities. It is a well known issue. Another one is being able to blinding Light through Deterrence. Ive won many arena games just blinding light people who thought they were safe behind defensives like CoS and Deter.
03/23/2014 09:51 AMPosted by Tríumphant
It is considered a fear DR, but it still is a magic ability just like all our abilities. It is a well known issue. Another one is being able to blinding Light through Deterrence. Ive won many arena games just blinding light people who thought they were safe behind defensives like CoS and Deter.

Honestly I think it's proper that something counters those kind of defenses. Plenty of other defenses and immunities have direct counters after all. In any case, it's not like ret Blinding Light is holding back hunters and rogues lol.
03/22/2014 10:08 PMPosted by Lygo

I don't know how this stuff works, but if I had to hazard a guess I'd say Blinding Light wasn't built from the ground up, but instead used the framework of Blind or Int Shout and was then tagged as dispellable. If that's the case it sounds lazy as hell. Consistent set of rules be damned.

Why does Exo, a spell, not work while under the effect of HoP? Who knows, maybe because it's tied to Art of War which is tied to melee swings. That's the only connection I can think of...whatever the reason, the result is sloppy.

03/22/2014 10:16 PMPosted by Lobster
I really love threads like this because they demonstrate how little most people know about paladin spells and abilities.

Like a warrior's Initmidating Shout, Blinding Light is considered a fear DR according to Blizzard:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/10195910192?page=1#5

A lot of paladin spells have conflicting properties and seem to follow their own rules, some changing inexplicably from patch to patch.

Judgement is a historical example. Judgement is supposed to be a "ranged melee" attack but does holy damage, and like a spell can't be dodged or parried. It currently applies Censure which is a magic effect although it can't be dispelled. Hammer of Wrath has always been a wild card - like Judgement it's a ranged melee attack however it does holy damage and used to apply Seal debuffs (SoJ).

For a while Exorcism couldn't be used while BoPed even though it's always been considered a spell. You can still HoW through BoP but you can't Judge even though both are considered ranged melee attacks but are also spells somehow.

Blinding Light's ability to cut through CoS isn't surprising to anyone who's played this class long enough. It's not a bug.

This sh!t drives me insane. It'd be one thing if there was some sort of logic to it all, but like you said the rules sometimes change randomly. Blinding Light shouldn't ignore Cloak. BL also shouldn't randomly break without cause - I doubt either will be fixed.
The Light pierces the darkness!