Suggestion for Alpha Fem Gnome

General Discussion
1 2 3 14 Next
Highly Rated
Hi!

I am liking what the art team is doing with the new models. The new models are so much more expressive and fun than the current models.

However, I have some issues with the new model for female gnomes. She is cross-eyed and the mouth looks too large. Furthermore, her eyes make look kind of ditzy and a touch psychotic.

I did some retouching to correct what I considered were flaws in the model. I uncrossed her eyes and enlarged her irises to touch her upper eye lids and lower lids, just like normal irises do. I added shading under her lashes and removed the black eyeliner thing.

I made her mouth smaller to be closer to the chibi-like current model and got rid of the goofy smile. I also lowered the eyebrows so they were more neutral. They were also colored to match the hair color of the model.

Here are the before and after pics.

Before: http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz335/moth_10/Alpha%20WoD%20Models/Fem-Gnome-Before.jpg

After: http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz335/moth_10/Alpha%20WoD%20Models/Fem-Gnome-After.jpg

Please consider my work as a suggestion for certain tweaks to be made to the alpha model for the WoD release.

Thanks.

-Dyna
Blizzard, LISTEN TO THIS GNOME. This is important advice being given here.
Wow, really. Tridyna makes a serious comment, an honest suggestion, and the best you can come up with is a lame Gnome joke. Sad really.

As to the suggestion, its an attempt to show the Devs that it is not that hard to make the necessary changes to flesh out the models a bit, so they don't look cookie cutter. I for one like the new models but am concerned, as many others are, that the faces will all be just slight variations of one face, its a valid concern.
04/23/2014 10:38 PMPosted by Korrde
Wow, really. Tridyna makes a serious comment, an honest suggestion, and the best you can come up with is a lame Gnome joke. Sad really.

As to the suggestion, its an attempt to show the Devs that it is not that hard to make the necessary changes to flesh out the models a bit, so they don't look cookie cutter. I for one like the new models but am concerned, as many others are, that the faces will all be just slight variations of one face, its a valid concern.

Thanks, Korrde. The possibility of having one face for each race and gender is something which concerns me too. More than that though, the possibility of being stuck with an unsatisfactory toon face for years is something I really want to avoid. I'm certain the art team doesn't want that result either.
im ok with the eyes, but i agree that the mouth is a bit too big, especially when doing some of the emotes

the perma smile is also pretty bad, they even have a non-smiling idle animation for when we're levitating with the new models
I like the changes you made to the model. I especially liked the changes you made to the eyes. It gave the model a calmer look, the original one's kind of looked like she hadn't slept in days.
Thank you all.

Overall, what I've been hearing from other players on and off the forums is they thought the mouth was too big. They did not like the permanent smile nor the eyes and eyebrows in a perpetual look of surprise. People also didn't like the dark eyeliner look. The combination just made the new female gnome look creepy.

Upon reflection, I was no longer convinced increasing the size of the irises was the way to go. So... here's a new pic with the irises left their current size but with the eyelids lowered just enough to touch them. I kept the shading on the eyes and reworked the mouth a little.

http://s841.photobucket.com/user/moth_10/media/Alpha%20WoD%20Models/Fem-Gnome-Two-After.jpg.html

Once again, please accept my work as a suggestion on how to improve the new model's face.
Thank you.

- Dyna
I think they were going for a cheerier look for female gnomes but yeah I think the alpha model was overdone.

Would be great if they toned down "psychotic" to only "slightly unnerving"
This is amazing. I am incredibly impressed and sincerely hope that someone with some leverage looks at these.
+ 1

Your gnome looks truer to the original models.
04/23/2014 10:38 PMPosted by Korrde

I'm not sure what all the "every model has the same face" complaints are about. We have that NOW.

All of the facial meshes for each race and gender are the same. The expressions are painted on those meshes(Angry Orc With Teeth Painted On His Lips Face, being a prime example).

I think what people want is to have their current "Scowly Angry Face" to still be "Scowly Angry Face" when the new models come out.

Perhaps a solution to that would be a "Mood" drop-down in the character screen. So if you wanted your Night Elf male to run around permanently frowning and angry, you could choose "Mood: Angry", or if you wanted your Gnome Female to be smiling all the time, you could choose "Mood: Happy".
Perhaps a solution to that would be a "Mood" drop-down in the character screen. So if you wanted your Night Elf male to run around permanently frowning and angry, you could choose "Mood: Angry", or if you wanted your Gnome Female to be smiling all the time, you could choose "Mood: Happy".

Perfect, that's what we need. The perma-smile was always the biggest issue for me.

I think the eyes of your model are lovely Tridyna but I still have mouth concerns.
04/24/2014 06:26 AMPosted by Coinpurse
Perfect, that's what we need. The perma-smile was always the biggest issue for me.

Agreed. The default expression should be neutral, not a fem gnome version of the Joker.
Gnomes are becoming what they are meant to be: clowns.
Damn. That is actually quite impressive.

The first edit I think is the best; http://s841.photobucket.com/user/moth_10/media/Alpha%20WoD%20Models/Fem-Gnome-After.jpg.html

The eyes of the third might be a little better, but the mouth looks a little to; pursed?
+1'd Excellent work.
04/24/2014 07:13 AMPosted by Acteon
Damn. That is actually quite impressive.

The first edit I think is the best; http://s841.photobucket.com/user/moth_10/media/Alpha%20WoD%20Models/Fem-Gnome-After.jpg.html

The eyes of the third might be a little better, but the mouth looks a little to; pursed?
+1'd Excellent work.

Yeah I like the eyes of the third and mouth of the second . Dang I'm picky x)
04/24/2014 06:09 AMPosted by Pallymcveal
All of the facial meshes for each race and gender are the same. The expressions are painted on those meshes(Angry Orc With Teeth Painted On His Lips Face, being a prime example).

Except it isn't just the expressions that are painted on.

It's also different shape eyes, eyebrows, noses, and lips too. There's even an option for female forsaken to have no nose. Yes, while these features are painted on, they undeniably distinguish one face from the next.

If all you can change in WoD is the eye color and maybe add some wrinkles, that's going to be especially problematic for some races. Like say (<~~), who can't even change their eye color.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img513/6817/3di5.jpg

What makes night elf faces look different from one another is differently shaped noses, eyes, and lips. However, to create different noses and so forth for the new models, a unique model for the head would have to be created each time. So if these features now come in a one-size-fits-all package, what are we even customizing anymore?
04/24/2014 06:09 AMPosted by Pallymcveal

Except it isn't just the expressions that are painted on.

It's also different shape eyes, eyebrows, noses, and lips too. There's even an option for female forsaken to have no nose. Yes, while these features are painted on, they undeniably distinguish one face from the next.

If all you can change in WoD is the eye color and maybe add some wrinkles, that's going to be especially problematic for some races. Like say (<~~), who can't even change their eye color.

What makes night elf faces look different from one another is differently shaped noses, eyes, and lips. However, to create different noses and so forth for the new models, a unique model for the head would have to be created each time. So if these features now come in a one-size-fits-all package, what are we even customizing anymore?

I'm sure they can still paint on bigger lips, but as for noses they'd have to do like the Goblins and have a separate customization option for facial features.

The eye shape thing is also a bit of an issue(again, we've only seen one face for each new model). Take Human Females, for example. The actual eye is painted on. The cornea is a separate, animated thingamadoodle(as are the blinking eyelids). For the new models, the eye will be a whole thing(eyeball and cornea) set inside the eye socket. Blizzard would have to make each face have slightly different eye shapes(which they may very well be doing, since their whole motto for these new models has been "We want to retain the look and feel for the characters, but just bring their graphic quality up").

So yeah, it's very possible that you will be getting your eye shapes and different lip shapes/sizes, but stuff like the "Illidan Face" NE Male likely wont come with the angry forehead wrinkles and scowl. And, my favourite, Angrly Teeth Painted On His Lips Orc Male's teeth will now be INSIDE his mouth. His neutral expressioned mouth.