Having trouble healing as holy? (ilevel 400)

Paladin
Roughly 400 ilevel. Level 88 Pally. Having a lot trouble healing. It just seems that my heals are hitting for really low numbers and I'm eating through mana like no tomorrow.

My most used spells are holy shock, holy light, holy radiance, and light of dawn.
Can I get an armory link?

Otherwise feel free to look through my guide
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/13204350709

Low healing at 88 could be a lot of different things. I need more information to appropriately help you.
He's currently in Ret geat/talents (I tried healing and had a really rough time of it.) All int/spirit gear, average ilevel is between 380 and 400
You logged in ret gear.

Why radiance and light of dawn? There shouldn't be so much aoe damage happening that you need to use those a ton. Switch selfless healer with either eternal flame or sacred shield.
08/07/2014 01:32 PMPosted by Cayse
You logged in ret gear.

Why radiance and light of dawn? There shouldn't be so much aoe damage happening that you need to use those a ton. Switch selfless healer with either eternal flame or sacred shield.

I was told selfless healer was the most mana efficient until certain ilevels. In most dungeons I'm doing a lot of AoE happens (Shadopan Monastary people stand in the explody things, the final boss people stand in the gripping hatred etc). I WAS using Sacred Shield but it wasn't being very helpful with how much damage people were taking.
What talents/glyphs are you using? What are you healing? How are you playing?

You're probably best off using the following talents: Speed of Light, Fist of Justice, Unbreakable Will, Eternal Flame [Switch to Selfless Healer when you start doing RF], and Divine Purpose [Holy Avenger if you think you need more burst healing].

Glyph: Divinity, Illumination, and Hand of Sacrifice [Or Protector of the Innocent]

At that point, keep Beacon of Light on the tank. Put Eternal Flame on yourself and the tank first and then try to get it on anyone else. You should be using Holy Shock on Cooldown. Only use Holy Radiance if you need AoE healing atm. Divine Light on the Tank when he's taking bigger damage and Flash of Light if he's going down hard. You should use mostly Holy Light or Divine Light to heal individual group members up.

Only use Light of Dawn if you can hit 3+ people with it. Only use LoD WoG and EF with 3 HoPo as well.

If the tank is getting spike damage use Hand of Sacrifice on him/her.

At this point try and get as much int and spirit as you can. At low Ilvls 2ndary stats don't weigh as much as they do later on. If you have any sockets put int and/or spirit gems in them for now. Enchanting your gear can also help

I want to stress that none of this advice is for 90. This is all particular to your situation right now. If you plan on healing PvE at 90 PLEASE give my guide a read.

Edit:
08/07/2014 01:35 PMPosted by Tyralin
I was told selfless healer was the most mana efficient until certain ilevels.
It is, at level 90 when you're doing raids.

Why radiance and light of dawn? There shouldn't be so much aoe damage happening that you need to use those a ton.
What Cayse said.
08/07/2014 01:39 PMPosted by Andrasté
What talents/glyphs are you using? What are you healing? How are you playing?

You're probably best off using the following talents: Speed of Light, Fist of Justice, Unbreakable Will, Eternal Flame [Switch to Selfless Healer when you start doing RF], and Divine Purpose [Holy Avenger if you think you need more burst healing].

Glyph: Divinity, Illumination, and Hand of Sacrifice [Or Protector of the Innocent]

At that point, keep Beacon of Light on the tank. Put Eternal Flame on yourself and the tank first and then try to get it on anyone else. You should be using Holy Shock on Cooldown. Only use Holy Radiance if you need AoE healing atm. Divine Light on the Tank when he's taking bigger damage and Flash of Light if he's going down hard. You should use mostly Holy Light or Divine Light to heal individual group members up.

Only use Light of Dawn if you can hit 3+ people with it. Only use LoD WoG and EF with 3 HoPo as well.

If the tank is getting spike damage use Hand of Sacrifice on him/her.

At this point try and get as much int and spirit as you can. At low Ilvls 2ndary stats don't weigh as much as they do later on. If you have any sockets put int and/or spirit gems in them for now. Enchanting your gear can also help

I want to stress that none of this advice is for 90. This is all particular to your situation right now. If you plan on healing PvE at 90 PLEASE give my guide a read.

Edit:
08/07/2014 01:35 PMPosted by Tyralin
I was told selfless healer was the most mana efficient until certain ilevels.
It is, at level 90 when you're doing raids.

Why radiance and light of dawn? There shouldn't be so much aoe damage happening that you need to use those a ton.
What Cayse said.

Thank you! This is all very helpful. I haven't raid healed since Normal 25m Deathwing, and back then my heals felt substantial.
Then the talents went and changed, certain glyphs changed, and I'm utterly lost! I'll DEFINITELY be giving that guide a look through.
Hmm.. Lemme know how it works out.
Remember if people are being painfully stupid, you can just not heal them.

If someone has been standing in something that's killing them for 10+ seconds, there is no reason you should keep them alive. You don't need or want to run yourself out of mana healing an idiot and then have no way to heal the tank.
Cayse laying down the law.
I've let a great many DKs learn what death grip is not for in the early 60s.

I'm a mean healer.
08/07/2014 03:41 PMPosted by Cayse
I'm a mean healer.

It's the best kind of healer to be. I could play the fool or have interactions like this:

Random dies to avoidable damage.

Random: "WTF HEALZ"
Me: "Sorry, my healing spells restore hit points, not common sense".
Random: "Your job is to heal you !@#$ing noob!!"
Me: "When you become worth my mana I'd be more than happy to heal you".
Random: "Kick this scrub!!1"
Me: "If kicking me will teach you to not stand in the avoidable things that are killing you, go for it".

Random has been removed from the instance group.

Me: <3

I talk to my guildies the same way ;x