I Luv my Retribution Paladin THANK U Blizz!!!

Paladin
Granted I am "only" lvl 52, but I had to start a thread after hearing so much scorn in the forums about them.

I think it is mostly a case of folks not giving the changes a fair try before posting.

We have:

-Offense-

CRUSADER STRIKE 149% Weapon Damage and grants 1 charge of Holy Power which can be used to power:
TEMPLARS VERDICT
1 Holy power=30% Weapon Damage
2 Holy Power=90% Weapon Damage
3 Holy Power=235% Weapon Damage

HAMMER OF WRATH 732 Holy Damage on enemies with 20% or less health.

EXORCISM 507 Holy Damage plus 25 over 6 sec. A crit if its Undead or Demon.
THE ART OF WAR Auto Attacks have a 20% chance to make your next EXORCISM instant, free, and cause 100% damage.

THE ART OF WAR Auto Attacks have a 20% chance to make your next EXORCISM instant, free, and cause 100% additional damage.

HOLY WRATH 469 Holy damage divided among all targets within 10 yds. Stuns all Demons and Undead for 3 sec.

DIVINE STORM 80% Weapon Damage to all enemies within 8 yards. Heals up to 3 Party/Raid members totaling 25% of the damage caused.

-Mana restoration-

We have things like JUDGEMENT OF THE BOLD which is a Passive Talent which allows our JUDGEMENT to grant 25% of our base Mana over 10 sec.

Using JUDGEMENT also triggers REPLENISHMENT which replenishes 1% of our maximum Mana per 10 sec. and does some damage.

DIVINE PLEA also restores 10% Mana over 15 sec. and lessens healing ability while used.

-Incapacitating a Target-

REPENTANCE puts an enemy to sleep for up to one minute. Any damage cancels the effect.

HAMMMER OF JUSTICE Stuns a target for 6 sec.

REBUKE cancels a spell for 4 sec.

-Protection-

DIVINE PROTECTION reduces damage by 20% for 10 sec.

LAY ON HANDS heals maximum Health.

WORD OF GLORY heals 317 per charge of Holy Power.

DIVINE SHIELD protects from all damage and Spells for 8 sec. but reduces damage by 50%.
HAND OF PROTECTION protects from all physical damage for 10 sec.

DEVOTION AURA gives us 304 additional armor.

I understand I am not "qualified" because of my lvl and experience to have an opinion, and that is true to a degree. Nonetheless, I felt the need to speak about my experience with the class and what I think about it.

I Luv my Retribution Paladin. He's a jack of all trades kind of class and that is what I like about running him. You have a nice variety of things at your disposal in the way of attack and defense, nothing that necessarily stands out overall, but again, that is what I like about the class. Its "strength" is in the sum of its parts.

Thank you Blizz. :)
I lol'd very hard, and very fast.
youre in for a big surpise...
12/09/2010 5:37 PMPosted by Shanndorn
Granted I am "only" lvl 52, but I had to start a thread after hearing so much scorn in the forums about them.

I think it is mostly a case of folks not giving the changes a fair try before posting.

-Mana restoration-

We have things like JUDGEMENT OF THE BOLD which is a Passive Talent which allows our JUDGEMENT to grant 25% of our base mana over 10 sec.

Using JUDGEMENT also triggers REPLENISHMENT which replenishes 1% of our maximum mana per 10 sec. and does some damage.

DIVINE PLEA also restores 10% mana over 15 sec. and lessens healing ability while used.

-Incapacitating a Target-

REPENTANCE puts an enemy to sleep for up to one minute. Any damage cancels the effect.

HAMMMER OF JUSTICE stuns a target for 6 sec.

REBUKE cancels a spell for 4 sec.

-Protection-

DIVINE SHIELD protects from all damage and spells for 8 sec. but reduces damage by 50%.

HAND OF PROTECTION protects from all physical damage for 10 sec.

DEVOTION AURA gives us 304 additional armor.

I understand I am not "qualified" because of my lvl and experience to have an opinion, and that is true to a degree. Nonetheless, I felt the need to speak about my experience with the class and what I think about it.

I Luv my Retribution Paladin. He's a jack of all trades kind of class and that is what I like about running him. You have a nice variety of things at your disposal in the way of attack and defense, nothing that necessarily stands out overall, but again, that is what I like about the class. Its "strength" is in the sum of its parts.

Thank you Blizz. :)

LOL
I'm still having fun w/ it at 69. I'll have to wait and see what the future holds for my enjoyment of the best (and only) class I play in this game.
Please don't post as a lvl 52 on this topic. No offense but you just lack the playtime at endgame.
I would reach max level before you judge a class.
It's not just because "LOL YOU'RE LOWER LVL THEN US!"

It's because a lot of the mechanics we're annoyed by you're not even stuck dealing with yet.
12/09/2010 8:04 PMPosted by Crager
Please don't post as a lvl 52 on this topic. No offense but you just lack the playtime at endgame.

Which is my intent by posting this thread.

I am trying to open the debate and dialogue about this class from all lvls and areas they game in (PVE, PVP, Dungeon, ect.). Just because you made it to lvl 80+ (grats, by the way), should not cause us to lose site of the lvls below that and their Pally play experience. But we all can only speak from our own experience lvls. Nothing wrong with that.
12/09/2010 9:19 PMPosted by Shanndorn
12/09/2010 8:04 PMPosted by Crager

Which is my intent by posting this thread.

I am trying to open the debate and dialogue about this class from all lvls and areas they game in (PVE, PVP, Dungeon, ect.). Just because you made it to lvl 80+ (grats, by the way), should not cause us to lose site of the lvls below that and their Pally play experience. But we all can only speak from our own experience lvls. Nothing wrong with that.

Nope nothing wrong, just no context. I leveled a frost mage to 76 post 4.01 because my ret pally sucks at 80 and it has been an awesome experience. This lock is eating everything alive post 80 in questing and I just hit 82 today. The same quests post 80 on the ret were super meh. Most classes are good at the lower levels, but you don't really know how much they messed up ret pallys post patch unless you have played one pre patch and unless you are leveling other classes and can see the difference. I also have a level 24 spriest which I like, but find underpowered compared to the ret pally, mage, and lock but from what I read it really will shine after some more leveling.

I wish there was a lot more QQing, because the dev team screwed the pooch on the ret pally redesign and without pressure will leave the class and spec just to dangle (no pun) in the wind. I know that they will never get rid of HP, but at least they can look at making the play a little better.

Remember too that everyone who is discussing the ret pally and is level 80 did, of course, have the lower level experience and remember it.
I haven't had experience putting my class to the test in a fair fight, but it gets annoying hearing people whine. There are a lot of things I enjoy about ret paladins, and I'm happy there are other people who like the class as much as I do. Nerfs and buffs come and go, its more important to find the class that you have the most fun with, and for me, Paladins (and mainly Retribution Paladins) are mine. If you are just a fair weathered fan then I guess you'll move on to the next green hill won't you lol.
Its common knowledge that the game is balanced around level 52.
12/09/2010 10:23 PMPosted by Smoff
Its common knowledge that the game is balanced around level 52.

LOL
I have a friend with a Ret paly. We have comparable gear and guess what?
I, as prot, last longer, and kill faster than my friend. And no he's not a bad player.
When everything proc, he beats me by a large margin. But when he goes short, (and that is quite often) I win the day as I can pull quite a large number of mobs and kill them without trouble.

Ret has been nerfed way too much. I really hope it will be put on par with the other dps melee classes before long.

And just for you my dear Shanndorn. The lvling part is not the big issue. Blizz did improve the lvling experience for paladins (after 6 years of waiting...). But in doing so, they forgot the end game for the ret. For lvling up to 70, paladins are a lot more apt than before. Beyond that, they're in no better shape than any other classes. And above 80... well read all the posts. You're in for a big surprise if you don't open your eyes.

Prepare to cry all night.
also prepare your anus.
12/09/2010 5:37 PMPosted by Shanndorn

I think it is mostly a case of me wanting to share my opinion based on almost no experience with the spec, and with no clue of how it plays in end game.

Fixed that for ya.
yea i used to think all that crap too...now i wish i would have spent the time I did grinding,cleaning my bathroom or helping out around the house
Im doing fine right now, just got hit capped, 7.97%haste, ~8% crit, and pulling 13k dps on bosses.
Mind you Trash dps is abismal.
Im only just starting to get near what I did at 80 but then again you have to realize that the stats are 30%/30% crit/haste like they used to be, once they are, whooooo man

Also Im not a huge fan of Inq but Im sure I'll get used to it. (Adapt or die)
12/09/2010 11:05 PMPosted by Tankiie
Prepare to cry all night.
also prepare your anus.

You are NOT prepared!!

(Sorry, someone had to do it. :p)

Not to discount your experience man, but there are some things that change as you level. And while a lot of people that played Ret were flavor-of-the-month facerollers, there were some people that just liked the spec.

I used to roll Holy, but going into Cata, I'm going Prot and loving every minute of it! Instead of a "caster" that fights at melee but wears plate (what I was as Holy soloing), I'm a beast in plate that can go toe to toe with my foes - and I don't have to run like a little girl using my bubble to escape if I agro several mobs. Just batton down the hatches and AOE them down. :D

But different people like different aspects of the class. I've always seen the Paladin as preserver (Holy), though I am digging being the stalwart defender (Prot). Some people, though, remember Tier 2 (Judgement Set), the aspect of Retribution. And THAT is the Paladin they want to play. It's not the part I relate to (I like restoring those at need or, baring that, being a "shield to repel all" [cookie if you know where that came from, and yes, I did take the power of the Guardian. :p])

But part of that is being able to at least do comparable damage to other DPS because they don't want to let their team/friends/guild down or be a burden and have to be carried by said team/friends/guild.

So yeah, part of it is the fotm people, but most of them will quickly figure out what's OP and move to it (before Wrath, it was Rogues, Locks, and Druids that were PvP OP, and I believe Locks were better than Mages in end game PvE content.) FotM-ers come and go. But that doesn't mean people who like the spec should be kicked in the nuts. :)

And yeah, not to discount your experience but...a LOOOT changes between 50 and 85. Hell, a lot changes between 70 and 80. o.O