Cataclysm PvE Holy Paladin Theorycrafting

Paladin
Post Limit:
Prev 1 22 23 24 26 Next
The 30% deprecation factor is killing Mastery. I don't see that getting much better. Even 4.1 will at best bring that up to 40%. That's still not really good enough. Let 4.1 go live and we'll recrunch the #'s and talk then.
Great guide. Coming back from a long hiatus from the game, this definitely helps get me up to speed.

One question though, does anyone heal without the assistance of Click heal addons anymore?
03/11/2011 10:19 AMPosted by Lylthe
The 30% deprecation factor is killing Mastery. I don't see that getting much better. Even 4.1 will at best bring that up to 40%. That's still not really good enough. Let 4.1 go live and we'll recrunch the #'s and talk then.
That depends on the frequency of raid wide AOE, or general multi-target damage dealt on a per encounter basis. If the frequency averaged was say, 12 seconds, the 8 second duration makes very little use of that (of 5 recent heals perhaps 3 of them will use the absorbs). But with the 15 second duration, you're going to have a much higher use rate (perhaps 4 of them, even possibly all 5). Those are just random numbers to give an idea of what I mean, not accurate of course.

The 15 second duration could make very little difference, or a massive difference, depending on the encounter.

We have 3 Paladins, by the way. Trying to get some more healers but recruiting is tough on Argent Dawn.

I'm not re-entering a debate here, only casually tossing in a word or two. Sorry.

03/14/2011 12:12 PMPosted by Vapori
One question though, does anyone heal without the assistance of Click heal addons anymore?
I heal with standard Blizzard raid frames, select my target, and hit my heal key (1-5 and sometimes Shift+1-5). Same for cleanse (Shift+ ` ). You have to be a little quicker to play like this, I think, but its not detrimental to healing in general unless you misclick, though that can be fixed by better organizing your raid frames. (By which I mean to say I should re-organize my raid frames so there are less misclick fails lol).
03/14/2011 12:55 PMPosted by Rabel
I heal with standard Blizzard raid frames, select my target, and hit my heal key (1-5 and sometimes Shift+1-5). Same for cleanse (Shift+ ` ). You have to be a little quicker to play like this, I think, but its not detrimental to healing in general unless you misclick, though that can be fixed by better organizing your raid frames. (By which I mean to say I should re-organize my raid frames so there are less misclick fails lol).

I'm the exact same way. I've always found click-healing to be the "lazy way out". The worst thing is to hear a healer say "hold on, my healbot isn't working, i need to relog". If you cant heal without the assistance of an addon like Clique, VuhDo or Healbot — you shouldn't be healing at all.

Everything for me is muscle memory. All of my spells bound to Num Keys + Shift/Alt/Ctrl modifiers. That plus Grid (no clique) is my style. For a tank, I have him set as my focus usually and use the focus macros I have setup specifically for him/her bound to buttons on my Mouse :D

(I'm not trying to come off as elitist, rather more "old school")
From my earlier posts:

100 Crit Rating
~0.558% increased crit chance
On average, this translates into 0.28% extra healing

100 Mastery Rating
~.7% shields
~50% of Heals Eligible for Mastery
~60% of procced Shields Consumed.

15 second shields will not improve 50% eligiblity. It MAY improve 60% shield consumption (not on the tank, only for raid healing). To tie with crit (ignoring Conviction which may or may not be a safe assumption depending on levels of int) we'd need 80% shield consumption to bring it ON PAR with crit rating.

I'm not going to dismiss mastery out of hand, but Mastery has a long way to go before it's a strongly desired stat. Namely, shield stacking and proccing off beacon (the big one). Again, let 4.1 go live and I'll look at some parses.
If they make it work with Beacon heals then, with the longer duration, mastery might have more use. I don't think stacking will do a whole lot either way as long as they keep the same mechanic of refreshing itself and only larger shields overwriting smaller shields.
I had always thought I was a decent pally healer even though this is an alt that I usually tank on, however, during a Magmaw fight I was constently at the bottom of the healing meter... for the most part I raid healed by spamming HL and DL, filling in where big heals were needed with FoL quickly followed by HS. I think my gear is decent but I would like some outside views being there is only one other holy pally in my guild.
@ Sheloo. First of all, druids and priests are generally going to be on top of the meters for the time being. Secondly, get rid of pvp gear. Enchant everything. Reforge crit/mastery to haste or spirit if that piece of gear doesn't have those two stats on it already. You want crit/haste to be about a 1:1 ratio. Do not reforge haste>crit. You need a lot more spirit but that will come with gear. Take a point out of Blessed Life or Last word or both and put it in Imp. Judgements. Get rid of Glyph of Long Word. Replace it with Divinity or Light of Dawn depending on the fight.
Yeah my bracers suck but I havent been able to get them to drop off the last boss in Grim Batol and Im embarrased to be going to any raid with these pvp bracers on.

@Dubalicious, I've been working on 10 mans... And I have been trying to do things a little differently than most other holy pallies. I've been trying to get my crit and haste up (certainly not a 1:1 ratio?) right now both are sitting at 18%. I can push the larger heals but I prefer to just "maintain everyone using HL and HL. I don't have mana issues normally as long as Im running with people that don't have wrath syndrome. So recently I have been going Crit>Haste>Spirit of course not to the point of having mp5 issues. Any thoughts.

Yeah my bracers suck but I havent been able to get them to drop off the last boss in Grim Batol and Im embarrased to be going to any raid with these pvp bracers on.

@Dubalicious, I've been working on 10 mans... And I have been trying to do things a little differently than most other holy pallies. I've been trying to get my crit and haste up (certainly not a 1:1 ratio?) right now both are sitting at 18%. I can push the larger heals but I prefer to just "maintain everyone using HL and HL. I don't have mana issues normally as long as Im running with people that don't have wrath syndrome. So recently I have been going Crit>Haste>Spirit of course not to the point of having mp5 issues. Any thoughts.

The larger heals are what will increase your position on the meters. If meter position is your concern and you have the mana for it, then you should be using more Divine Light casts.

Generally speaking though, if you are not having problems with people dying and the other healers are not too stressed, forget what the meters say.

Since you are doing 10 mans, then you aren't necessarily doing anything bad with your stats. Obviously, you are comfortable with your mana regen which is the proper way to prioritize spirit as well as haste.

Divine Light is a much more effective way to heal especially in a 10 man raid (1 or 2 casts vs 4 or 5 Holy Lights). Fewer casts mean you don't need those casts to be as quick, and the other major beneficiary of haste, Holy Radiance, does not finish nearly as high on total healing done in 10 mans - point being, you don't need a bajillion haste like most people have probably told you, unless you are more comfortable playing that way.
I just got my +67 int from jcing and i was wandering how i would use that. Obviously i will replace all my 40 int gems with it, but what will i do with my +20 haste +20int, or 20+spirit 20 int. I was thinking about getting the +67 haste pattern and the +67 spirit pattern but i was also considering just gemming +67 in every slot. Please tell me what you would do
Wtb mastery working more like Val'anyr, LoD a super sweet smart heal so it doesn totally suck 90% of the time in 10mans,.
I can't help but feel like we got over nerfed when my resto druid presses Tranq and it does 15% of his overall healing. XD (ty lifegrip for combating meter-padding trees everywhere!)

QQ aside, I wondering was if anyone had tried heroic Al'akir, and if they had any nifty tricks or min/max ideas to make the annoying first phase that much easier. Right now, I only have the tank and a ranged dps to heal. Thankfully, Derkaderka hits like a girl, but when the lightning stuff hits with windblast and tornados comming, I find it a bit tough to heal the person eating the lightning and move to where I need to be w/o causing the lightning to chain. I'm currently doing it on 10man.

Sorry, if this is the wrong thread, but things seemed to be a bit less trolly here.
Yeah, Sinestra is going to be a blast. I dunno if you have seen anything on the last phase of that fight, but it looks like it will be great fun to heal.

Our tank is a DK so he can "lolimaDK" through most of it, but some times it is too much to catch up on. A normal p1 will take about 1:00 to 1:30. There is a fairly large penalty to bubbling in p1 cause of not being able to reset stacks in p2. I've been looking around a while for a good solution for a while. It's starting to look like its going to take really good control from all three of us to so see any results. Yay for "soul draining wipes!" (Paragon)

p.s. Say hey to Heartshine and all the other Tanaris xfers! Coag still spend most of the raid offline? =P

p.s.s. Oooh, anyone else thinking of trying Power Torrent in 4.2? (more likely heroic gear) I was thinking maybe stacking it with plea every now and then to compensate. Maybe plea+wings if there is still some damage going out. I'll have to look at it's up time a bit more, but it seems Heartsong might be loosing some value with increased spirit on gear.
WoW, lots of good information! Thanks Dubalicious!