Healers taking the brunt of the Cataclysm

General Discussion
Prev 1 7 8 9 84 Next
Well, we've got word that if things are considerably off, then they'll get tweaked. It's really no that bad right now, it just takes a lot of new learning on *everyone's* part. Tanks need to learn to mitigate damage more, pop cooldowns (they're short now for a reason) and not break CC. DPS needs to CC, learn what damage can be avoided and avoid it, and learn to look after their own health bars.

Healers have a new model to learn, but everyone else needs to learn how they fit into that model. When someone said that healers are essentially defining how the Cataclysm dungeon and raid scene are going to look, they were right on the money - everyone is going to have to adjust to their healer's capabilities and capacities. The days of face roll AOE are over - you really need CC and good kill order now. I think that from that perspective, Blackrock Caverns and Throne of the Tides are far too forgiving, and too many people seem to skip Stonecore and try for the higher level dungeons first.

Wrath dungeon running habits will not work well in Halls of Origination, Lost City, or Grim Batol - the damage is too brutal and the packs are too big to cope with that sort of thing.
12/13/2010 11:37 AMPosted by Yggdrasil
12/13/2010 10:34 AMPosted by Nethaera
It's definitely challenging to heal in Cataclysm and that's by design. We want players to pick and choose what spells to use and when. Those in your group will also need to be conscious of whether or not they're putting out enough DPS, taking too much damage, and more. You'll probably be pulling out more "tricks" from your bag than you've been doing in awhile. You're also going to miss a time or two, run out of mana at a bad time and find yourself trying to figure out just what went wrong. Even experienced healers are going to have to dig their heels in a bit.

That said, we're keeping an eye out for how healing is going and should we feel there need to be adjustments, we'll make them. As many have noticed, we're starting to get a larger population of level 85 players who will be running through the content and getting better gear to compliment their spells and abilities. That should help some.

I see your point, but I just want to understand your view of challenge and fun. I swear I am not being sarcastic, thats a genuine question, but, the times I was healing a 85 dungeon successfully I ended up using lifebloom for the 3 stacks and then spamming nourish on tank with ocasional wild growth on group followed by more nourish spam.

So, I see and I really understand Blizzard's goal with challenge and the duty to choose wisely our healing spells and when to cast the right one, but right now I really dont see it when all I do is basically spam nourish on tank and occasionally spam nourish on dps after a wild growth or something like it.

You honestly picked the wrong class if you want variety in healing. Druids suffer from far too much hybridization to the point that Resto has like 6 spells. When half of them aren't even useful most of the time, that doesn't leave a lot of variety.

You'll find more challenge and fun if you go beyond healing. There are a lot of places where you can use Roots, Hibernate, Soothe, Cyclone etc. to help out the group, provide yourself with more responsibility, and get more enjoyment out of Heroics.
Dear Blizzard,

I absolutely love that you made it a challenge to heal again. Please don't buff healing due to QQ. I completed Heroic Tides last night and had so much fun!! Keep it up on the content!

Your Fan,
Krowtenz
I would also like to point out that as Discipline, having a mechanic like Grace still in this game with healing the way it is is doing way more harm than good. If the tank is fine, and I can heal a dps, I should be able to use my slow, efficient heal to pump some healing into them. With Discipline, I don't have that option or I lose a lot of throughput on the tank because Grace falls off. Renew doesn't exactly hit for much, and isn't cheap, ya know?
It's definitely challenging to heal in Cataclysm and that's by design. We want players to pick and choose what spells to use and when. Those in your group will also need to be conscious of whether or not they're putting out enough DPS, taking too much damage, and more. You'll probably be pulling out more "tricks" from your bag than you've been doing in awhile. You're also going to miss a time or two, run out of mana at a bad time and find yourself trying to figure out just what went wrong. Even experienced healers are going to have to dig their heels in a bit.

That said, we're keeping an eye out for how healing is going and should we feel there need to be adjustments, we'll make them. As many have noticed, we're starting to get a larger population of level 85 players who will be running through the content and getting better gear to compliment their spells and abilities. That should help some.

The best part here is "Better gear to compliment their spells and abilities" What spells and abilities? I didn't get any upgraded spells at level 85? I got upgraded mana costs.

Pretty sure every single person who has been having an issue isn't wanting content NERF'd by the way. We want spells to scale w/ the silly mana cost that blizz through in our faces.

Seems as if blizz puts in this LFG thing and then wants to punish people for using it. Healers shouldnt have to make up for one screw up of a dps or tank. Nor should people in the group. Before people start preaching about kicking, you can only kick so many times in a certain amount of time so NEXT on that excuse.
12/13/2010 11:22 AMPosted by Funkyworm

So does challenging = fun? Does challenging = increased or decreased player base?

Are you serious? Your saying your ok with paying money for a game every month to not be challenged? Why pay for a MMO that allows you to watch T.V., Read a book, etc etc and still win? Also, challenging doesn't decrease the player base(this and hardcore is two different things) in fact others would probably just replace the /ragequits since most of the people that play other MMOs hate WoW because it became a drool fest. Lastly, the player base has increased since the release(sometimes I get stuck in 700+ queues on the realms i play).

Note: ATTENTION ANY/ALL WHO WANTS THIS GAME TO BE A DROOL FEST! The crayons and coloring books are that way ----->

I Love this game and Blizzard seems to be going down the right road at least so far. Would hate to quit because i feel like a mindless idiot doing things and some stuff.
12/13/2010 11:54 AMPosted by Twîstedkìtty

The best part here is "Better gear to compliment their spells and abilities" What spells and abilities? I didn't get any upgraded spells at level 85? I got upgraded mana costs.

Pretty sure every single person who has been having an issue isn't wanting content NERF'd by the way. We want spells to scale w/ the silly mana cost that blizz through in our faces.

A MILLION FREAKING TIMES THIS!!!1!

IS THE CAPS LOCK GETTING THROUGH TO YOU?!?!?!1?
I understand that healing in Cata is supposed to be more challenging, but Why all the AoE damage? I don't have the mana/ throgughput to sustain healing at the level that is required. There are herois NOT raid progression fights. I have to day that for the first time in 6 years of playing this game I am seriously thinking of playing another game or just leaving. I feel like healers have been singled out this expansion to take the blame for everyones mistakes.

These forums are full of complaints from healers that are complaining that "it's too hard" why do you think that is? We don't have the throughout to even handle one mistake in the group. I have healed a few heroics and I understand that my gear is lackluster and maybe even low...but why do i feel like every fight is a raid progression fight. I belive that healers have been under tuned and need to be brought up to par.

I feel like helaers in general have been punished, I honestly think that this is the X-pac that will kill wow if something isn't done.
The most valid reason i can understand for the healers is how their emergency spells having such a huge cost and little scale recovery. Thats about it cause the other "Lets go back to WOTLK way." which i read in similiar threads is just a horrible idea.
12/13/2010 11:56 AMPosted by Kamaia
I like that these encounters are hard to heal. Please don't make them easier or make mana not be an issue.

I think the biggest problem I've seen so far is that groups tend to expect the healer to carry them. I'd say about 2/3 of my queues are a dungeon in progress where the healer got the boot or got fed up and dropped. Remember, if the healer goes OOM with the boss at 10% and you wipe, a better geared/skilled healer might have carried the group, but 10% higher dps would have killed the boss too.

There's a difference between healers wanting something tweaked, and turning the game into another WotLK.
Moral of the story is, if you don't want to have to deal with it Roll a pally because Blizz doesn't care about any other class it seems.
I really hope Blizzard waits a while before making any adjustments. If they go and buff healing too early then we face a huge risk of ending up where we were in Lich King. The healers I've run dungeons/heroics/Argaloth with so far have had no problems with the content. Sure, they may OOM on one or two bosses in each dungeon, but most of the time they don't. Given that the vast majority has barely hit 85 and don't even OOM, it would seem to me that it's actually a bit easier than expected.

At the moment I think it has more to do with people rushing to do heroics while barely geared enough for them. This is compounded by Blizzard's item level requirement taking into account gear in your bags, and gear that doesn't even help your spec. Seriously, as a healer, you could loot a dodge/armor/Last Stance trinket and have it count towards your gear check for unlocking dungeons/heroics.

It's funny though -- I hear guild shamans whining constantly about how paladins and druids are the only worthy healers in Cataclysm. Now a paladin makes this thread complaining that shamans are the only ones not OOMing. Everyone's the worst healer? I think so.
After reading everyone's posts I agree that healing is a challenge, but a challenge I fully embrace.
I still remember healing in Vanilla, when I had 3 Action Bars all with the same spells each row but with different spell Ranks. At least back then one could manage mana a lot better compared to now.
Its hard, VERY HARD, but with the right group mentality of CCing, being mindful of where one stands, avoid getting hit if possible, one can have fun while running these instances.

I'm constantly managing my mana, I drink between pulls and Heal is now my main healing spell, with 25% Heal, 22% Flash Heal (which is unfortunate that during some boss fights its almost mandatory. Yes, I'm looking at you Helix Gearbreaker) and the rest in Renew, PoM, etc...

My only main complaint is how weak PW:S is right now. Its a complete joke.