Protection Paladin - NOT a Ret thread

Paladin
The Paladin forums have been bombarded by Retribution threads. To be fair, I guess they need it. But, it does make it a bit annoying to skim the page.

So, I figured what the hell? Let's make a thread where Prot pallys can get together and pass around knowledge if they've got it, or just shoot the breeze and discuss your role in your raid.

If I had a first question, I'd wanna know what defensive skills are the most useful. Dodge, parry, or block?
12/19/2010 11:20 PMPosted by Blackfish
The Paladin forums have been bombarded by Retribution threads. To be fair, I guess they need it. But, it does make it a bit annoying to skim the page.

So, I figured what the hell? Let's make a thread where Prot pallys can get together and pass around knowledge if they've got it, or just shoot the breeze and discuss your role in your raid.

If I had a first question, I'd wanna know what defensive skills are the most useful. Dodge, parry, or block?

Mastery...so block.
12/19/2010 11:30 PMPosted by Xayton

Mastery...so block.
So, can you explain to me why we want mastery so much? I'm just curious.
There are two specific reasons.

for every point of mastery you get 2.25% block

The higher your dodge/parry get the more rating they require to give you the 1% mitigation your looking at. I.E. when ur at 9% dodge, you need lets say, 154 rating. once you get to 15% you will need say 214 rating to give you the same 1% you got, because of diminishing returns.

no matter how high you get your mastery, it never falls into diminishing returns, and will always require that 154 rating for the 1 point of mastery.
A little bit off-topic, but is anyone using Inquisition in their tanking rotation ?

If so, when are you using it ?
12/20/2010 7:02 AMPosted by Buckeyes
A little bit off-topic, but is anyone using Inquisition in their tanking rotation ?

I only use it in my AoE rotation when grouped with my two DK friends.
http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/forum/index.php?f=4&sid=ddc5495aacc71851942e45d1b292fb4d&rb_v=viewforum

I use it on AoE trash. Specifically, there are several largish packs of elementals in Vortex Pinacle where your dps goes from about 10k to 15k+.

Especially since a lot of us are geared to the point where heroics are back to faceroll AoEfests (as long as someone interupts that bad thing or heal).

It relates to tanking, so it's on topic :)
Inquisition is best used for AoE tanking, but (to be honest) my threat is good enough where I don't even have it on my bars right now.
Xayton

As ret is in the toilet, and holy doesn't look much better, it looks like I'm going prot for cata. Is there anywhere I can find a concise description that still tells me everything useful I need to know about port? (So not Xayton's guide)
Xayon's guide is concise....if that's too much for you, then don't bother quite honestly. The actual amount of info needed when going in-depth (i.e. reading maintankadin's forums themselves) is far more time-consuming than browsing that topic.
It just seems with his he sometimes takes way to long to say things, plus a lot of it is maybes. I'm interested in an accurate guide as I plan on raiding well.
12/20/2010 5:39 PMPosted by Lesaberisa
Inquisition is best used for AoE tanking, but (to be honest) my threat is good enough where I don't even have it on my bars right now.

This is where I stand too. It's on my bars but not keybound. It's way off to the right as a click ability.

I find the Holy Power is 99% of the time better spent on ShoR since DPS aren't AoEing most of the time.