85 PvP

Paladin
Hey,

debating which spec should I pick for the pvp one at 85, so far I had done prot and ret mostly and recently specced into holy (after 4.0).

My main spec used to be Ret for pvp and then Prot/Ret for a short time. Since I don't know at the moment why everyone is saying that ret is so horrible for pvp it would be nice to get some input about the specs from the people that already have some experience with this.

PvE is easy, I have been prot since beginning of BC and will stay prot, but I am somewhat undecided and have read many conflicting arguments so far and it would be nice to get some input on the PvP to make it somewhat easier to decide.

Thanks!
12/20/2010 4:46 AMPosted by Cyriaa
PvE is easy, I have been prot since beginning of BC and will stay prot

If your logic behind this statement is "if everybody does what they're supposed to, we'll down the boss" you could use it for PvP as well. You obviously haven't raided at 85 yet, or even done heroics.

PvE is easy, is an overused and garbage statement.
You really don't even have a valid argument when your most prestigious title is "Champion of the Frozen Wastes"

Anyways, as far as PvP suggestions, I definitely wouldn't recommend you play holy PvP, especially with that kind of mentality.
Holy PvP takes a lot of positional awareness, extremely fast reaction time, and the ability to communicate quick and concisely to your teammates.
And by that I mean more than saying "ok, taunt" while sitting there tanking Saurfang....

LoL someone got up on the wrong foot this morning....

First of all you have NO IDEA if have have other toons, what I've done on my other toons and what my skill is. Second if you don't have any decent suggestion and just wish to troll please keep it to yourself.

I am asking people that are willing to give reasonable answers and don't base their statements on the fact that their life sucks and they want to shoot themselves in the foot.

edit: PvE is easy, meaning I have decided I will stay tank for PvE, also some common sense would do you good
Ret sucks. DON'T bother. Maybe if everyone stop playing them Bliz will take a look at them. Prot is fun. Great survivability usually. I PVPed as Holy before Cata and it was ok, but I like to kill ppl. I enjoy harrassing healers and just being a nuisance. For that, Prot Pally or Prot warrior are a blast. Plus, as Prot, I can easily beat all the classes that usually make your like miserable as any other class - Rogues and Feral Druids. I solo and beat them more often than not.
12/20/2010 7:10 AMPosted by Nùked
Ret sucks. DON'T bother. Maybe if everyone stop playing them Bliz will take a look at them. Prot is fun. Great survivability usually. I PVPed as Holy before Cata and it was ok, but I like to kill ppl. I enjoy harrassing healers and just being a nuisance. For that, Prot Pally or Prot warrior are a blast. Plus, as Prot, I can easily beat all the classes that usually make your like miserable as any other class - Rogues and Feral Druids. I solo and beat them more often than not.

Thanks, that is more the kind of input I was looking for. I've read so far prot is really good for BGs so I was kind of debating to go in that direction since I will be mainly doing BGs.
Same here i use to love ret but they are useless now, prot is the way to go if you like melee pvp
i am running holy in 2v2 because like everyone else has said ret is terrible especially in pvp.. In 2v2 ive gone up against prot/heals and prot/dps teams and they have all been terrible.. Holy isnt great for pvp anymore imo but its our best bet atm.
Ret's pretty bad atm in pvp due to the time it takes to get actual damage going, and prot is good and all until you encounter somebody who can heal themselves.

Or you could be holy and laugh as it takes 5 people to take you down.
12/20/2010 4:46 AMPosted by Cyriaa
PvE is easy, I have been prot since beginning of BC and will stay prot

If your logic behind this statement is "if everybody does what they're supposed to, we'll down the boss" you could use it for PvP as well. You obviously haven't raided at 85 yet, or even done heroics.

PvE is easy, is an overused and garbage statement.
You really don't even have a valid argument when your most prestigious title is "Champion of the Frozen Wastes"

The 'easy' aspect of PvE is that it's all scripted, regardless of how 'difficult' it is. The only alterations to the script are how much RNG is involved. After a certain point, the difficulty is strictly based on RNG, if everyone is "playing their role correctly with the right gear".

PvP is not scripted, and there are different minds behind each and every situation which makes everyone accountable for the unpredictable, with RNG added into the mix.

Now I'm not saying PvP is more difficult or better than PvE, there are too many of those debates, and people enjoy what they enjoy. But when you want to talk about the difficulty in an aspect of the game, be realistic about it, and weigh why it's "difficult".

A rubik's cube can be hard at first, but if you keep at it and solve it, then keep solving it repeatedly, then that initial difficulty is rendered moot. You can liken that to a dungeon. Then added to that, you can say that trying to solve one in a blizzard would be relative to RNG, which adds to the difficulty, but doesn't make the initial task inherently more difficult, just more complicated.

In other words, just because PvE progression is why you play doesn't mean you need to try and justify its difficulty just because someone else waves off PvE as scripted childsplay.
Prot spec in my opinion is just as awesome as during wrath, granted u get kited by good frost mages im pretty sure all the FOTM rets rolled mages and are just backpedaling keyboard turning !@!% walking all over bgs atm.

Rocking like 2700 resil get my viscious MH on tuesday.

Doing 2's with a sub rogue between my large amount of survivability and controlled burst and how awesome combat readiness is we both live pretty long. We can usually just burst a dps and if he has a healer when he gets to like 50% we stun him inside a smoke bomb and polish him off.

Or we zerg healers since they do go oom nowadays.

Overall prot is in a good place right now i suggest giving it a go.
Thanks for the replies everyone, looks like prot PvP it is for now!