I need some help please as a Ret Pally....

Paladin
Hello everyone, I would like to ask for a few tips from more expierenced Retadins. I usually play my priest or warrior at the beginning of a new Xpac, but this time I wanted to try something different. Now, This could be totally because I just don't know what I am doing but, my dps is on average aroud 6.5-8k dps and then with CD's I can get up to 9k to 10k for a brief period. I did gem for Crit/STR at one time but had someone tell me I was a bad for doing that and should go with haste.... I am so lost could a "Non bad" Retadin help me?

Retribution has been ruined for the time being. Heal and Tanks whilst collecting dps gear and wait for blizz to fix us.
I have already tanked and healed since Vanilla and just don't want to do it anymore. I don't have time to reroll a new toon either due to RL. =( guess I will wait until either someone figures it out or Blizzard changes it.

I have been reading around and I'm not the only person who seems to be lost with the new system. I'll keep at it, if I find out how to get better dps then I will come here and post. Hopefully, someone with more time to play will be able to get it quicker than me.
Elitist Jerks forums. They have a very well researched guide to ret.