Link inside to 5.0 Assassination Guide (PvE)

Rogue
Prev 1 29 30 31 33 Next
01/02/2012 04:56 PMPosted by Mystokor
I followed all the instructions on Shadowcraft, which says I should now be pulling just under 31k. What buffs does that take into account?

All of them, you can find them listed under the Settings tab.

It also assumes a Patchwerk-style fight without target switching, etc.

01/02/2012 04:56 PMPosted by Mystokor
Besides not having landslide for my OH (I'm just a few hundred gold short) is there anything wrong on my armory page?

I'd prefer if people used this thread for that:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3657429221

01/02/2012 08:57 PMPosted by Swytchblade
Since all dodges are refunded 80% energy, you wouldn't even notice if they are dodged.

This is part of paying attention to your UI; watching your combo points are a good guide for this.
The is a great guide. It's helped me out a ton.

Now, if only there was a way to get those damned Hunters to stop ninja'ing gear I need.
Just Curious to get a few tips i guess, Shadowcraft says i should be able to pull around 32-33k dps with my current gear, But on most fights i struggle to stay higher then 25-26k I focus heavily on keeping SnD up and Rupture up, and never Evenmon with less then 5 CP. I use Potions, and my cooldowns..

Any tips?
01/09/2012 03:37 PMPosted by Oldive
and never Evenmon with less then 5 CP.

Should be 4-5 points while using mutilate, and 5 while using backstab. The ShadowCraft numbers are based off a single-target encounter with no intervening mechanics, it's very rare to meet or exceed its DPS estimate in actual practice.
Thanks for the reply, I'll test out the 4-5 Points instead of only 5. I can see how it may be a small increase for me due to the occasional loss of that extra combo point when already at 4.
01/10/2012 07:23 PMPosted by Oldive
Thanks for the reply, I'll test out the 4-5 Points instead of only 5. I can see how it may be a small increase for me due to the occasional loss of that extra combo point when already at 4.

It's actually pretty huge. Mutilate gives you two combo points, so you -always- lose one every time you mutilate at 4 points, and you could be losing two. You really do lose a significant amount of damage by mutilating at 4 points. I'm not exactly sure how much, but it's something you should fix immediately.
You really shouldnt have any problem with SnD because of cut to the chase. You'll usually only have to apply it ounce to a single target fight.
I'll post on skorpe later. (My rogue that is in this guild. I am having trouble switching the toon icon and I am in a bit of a hurry.)

Alright, this isn't trolling. This is me being legit and it saddens me I need to specify that I am being serious because of all the idiots on WoW. :P

How is assassination in 4.3? I keep getting a lot of people saying it is a dead spec behind sub and combat. Yet... I have seen our guild's assassination rogue pull crazy DPS. Even on ultraxion I think, he may have gone combat. I'll ask.

The reason why I am curious is because I just like assassination on my rogue. It is -the- spec to me that makes me feel most rogueish. In all honesty how far behind is assassination if at all? And is it still viable to be a competitive spec? (I am not going heroic DS for my alt. :P If I do though, would assassination still be good?)

Thanks for the opinions and help in advance!
01/14/2012 04:37 AMPosted by Bàneslayer
How is assassination in 4.3? I keep getting a lot of people saying it is a dead spec behind sub and combat. Yet... I have seen our guild's assassination rogue pull crazy DPS. Even on ultraxion I think, he may have gone combat. I'll ask.

Griftér was assassination for Ultraxion, I looked up your logs.

Assassination is fine for normal DS25 progression, the sort of min/max'ing that'd incline me towards combat happens more in DS10 and on hardmodes, where blade flurry and combat's additional mobility puts it a step above assassination - this isn't because assassination is bad, exactly, it's just combat/subtlety is better by enough of a margin to make it noticeable enough to stress the difference.

Personally my breaking point, when I decided to go combat over assassination even for normal modes, was between the gunship and spine. But as long as you're comfortable and pulling reasonable damage, which assassination is more than capable of doing, then there isn't a reason to change.
Can I have your babies Vere <3
Can I have your babies Vere <3

./ruffle
how do you how many combo points you have at a certain moment ?

They're red dots on the rim of your target's unit frame.
Am a new assassination rogue levelling quite fast , how do you how many combo points you have at a certain moment ?

Feeding on ur work like mad

You can also download an addon like Basic Combo Points (http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/basic-combo-points) which will display on a numerical way how many CP you have.
Nice guide, thank you very much! :D
The reason why I am curious is because I just like assassination on my rogue. It is -the- spec to me that makes me feel most rogueish. In all honesty how far behind is assassination if at all? And is it still viable to be a competitive spec? (I am not going heroic DS for my alt. :P If I do though, would assassination still be good?)

Thanks for the opinions and help in advance!

Sigh, I used to be quite good with Assassination (ranked on every fight kind of good), but what really killed it was seeing the dps potential with combat on standstill fights and especially with fights with additional mobs.

Morchok - Doesn't really matter much. No cleave, no target switching, nothing fancy.
Yorsajh - Combat is just easier. You cleave the adds, you cleave the void, you don't have to sacrifice your boss dps to do great add dps. Those little boogers can really hurt your healers. If you're the dps they designate to stay on the boss, tell your healers to hang around the boss while you continue to cleave them down.
Zon'ozz - Combat is necessary. Cleave the tentacle while you hit the boss during his most vulnerable phase. Nuff said.
Hagara - Burst dps. Nothing says burst like Adrenaline rush during a feedback. Vendetta is just useless for that fight. As an added bonus, you can cleave ice tombs if they position themselves properly.
Ultraxion - Without the use of backstab, combat is the clear winner. If your guild is suffering with the heals more than the dps, you could switch to assassination, drop backstab from your rotation, use feint on cd, and spec into deadened nerves instead of murderous intent, and glyph vendetta instead of backstab. That actually works pretty well, but still is a dps loss from combat. I pulled 1-3k more dps with combat than that assassination spec. (not a huge difference I know, but I'm still not as good with my combat rotation as I was with assassination).
Blackhorn - More cleave for the adds. I haven't downed this fight on heroic yet, so I can't really attest to the differences as easily as I can to the others, but I'll be running combat for this one as well.

If you want to see my personal dps results between combat and assassination, check out http://raidbots.com/epeenbot/us/wildhammer/pareidolia/. Please do keep in mind that I'm still completely new to the combat rotation, but even then, I still do more dps with combat...
Zon'ozz - Combat is necessary. Cleave the tentacle while you hit the boss during his most vulnerable phase. Nuff said.

To be fair, this is a heroic consideration. And subtlety also beats combat at several fights. But in general, yeah. It's assassination's turn to be the redheaded stepchild of rogue specs for this raiding tier.
Hey, there's nothing wrong with having a little red on your head.
02/20/2012 09:26 AMPosted by Rfeann
Hey, there's nothing wrong with having a little red on your head.

Just a figure of speech, I have nothing against redheaded stepchildren or people wearing red hats. :)