Prot avoidance problems

Paladin
Post Limit:
When it comes to heroics I have not seen myself taking too much damage, so long as mobs are properly ccd and the like. However, I recently read somewhere that we should strive to 18% parry and dodge. Mine is MUCH lower than that, however my mastery is quite high. Can anyone check out my armory and maybe suggest some reforges, or see if maybe I'm actually just fine? Not sure.
where did you read 18%?
there's no set number for dodge and parry

mastery lacks DR and produces more consistent results
I remember seeing the 18-19% number during Wrath. But that was when we couldn't get mastery anywhere else. It was more like reforge your dodge and parry to mastery, but make sure that your dodge and parry remained at 18-19%.

But this is Cata now, and rules have changed.

Personally I would get as much mastery as possible. Healers would appreciate consistent damage taken, over spiky damage that dodge and parry provides.
So would I be alright where I'm at?
The number I've been hearing most at this point in the expansion is about 11% for both Dodge and Parry, and try to keep them as close to each other as possible. So I'd say just reforge some of your Parry into Dodge and you're good for now! And I'd probably work on Hit next if I were you, just sayin'.
12/26/2010 1:02 PMPosted by Farranor
The number I've been hearing most at this point in the expansion is about 11% for both Dodge and Parry, and try to keep them as close to each other as possible. So I'd say just reforge some of your Parry into Dodge and you're good for now! And I'd probably work on Hit next if I were you, just sayin'.

What would be the point in reforging parry into dodge?

You'll see better survival results if you reforge to mastery.

The only time this would be a good idea is if you have more parry than dodge, and you have a mastery/parry piece of gear (I'm pretty sure I have one of these).
Im at 13% dodge/parry rounded up with 38% block rounded up. Just try to keep mastery on all items with dodge or parry as secondary stat. And if your exp cap, reforge the exp to mastery.

However im no theory crafter or uber-tank so don't quote me.
12/26/2010 9:50 AMPosted by Bmg
When it comes to heroics I have not seen myself taking too much damage, so long as mobs are properly ccd and the like. However, I recently read somewhere that we should strive to 18% parry and dodge. Mine is MUCH lower than that, however my mastery is quite high. Can anyone check out my armory and maybe suggest some reforges, or see if maybe I'm actually just fine? Not sure.

Reforge more stats into mastery. You have way too many pieces that could be giving you more mastery.
just a few thoughts from your neighborhood theorydin:

right now '12/12 + the rest mastery' is considered the optimal avoidance setup, according the EJ at least. Also, you have eye for an eye: really not great, unless 'maybe' if you PVP. Rule of law is considered a much better talent for the price.

I want your porcelain crab :(
these are the priorities:

1. 26 expertise
2. 8% hit
3. 102.4% avoidance (use this macro to see how much you have)

/script DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage("Need 102.4 combat table coverage. Currently at: "..string.format("%.2f", GetDodgeChance()+GetBlockChance()+GetParryChance()+5))

Always reforge the highest stat on the equipment to meet the priority. Mastery always has priority over dodge or parry because it gives more to avoidance per stat.