Dungeon queue should be performance-based

General Discussion
Prev 1 6 7 8 52 Next
01/04/2011 8:50 PMPosted by Trelyrien
As my guildie pointed out, its easy to spot a nub. Ask in group if everyone has DBM. If someone says "huh" -- boot em.

Simple test.

Your guildies are people I would rather avoid.

I would rather play with someone who needs some coaching and is having fun and has a good attitude then with stuck up know it alls.

So dear Blizzard, can you also install a personality test to queue for dungeons so I don't have to run into the jerks of the world?
12/28/2010 12:35 AMPosted by Sinkinglight
To queue as DPS:
Destroy target dummy with x hp within t seconds.

I love this idea, but how would you deal with variations such as boss mechanics?

To queue as Tank:
Hold aggro on this target and survive for t seconds.

Nice, but again how would you handle boss mechanics? A good tank can hold threat but a great tank can hold threat and position a boss etc...

To queue as Healer:
Keep this target up for t seconds.

Nice!

To queue as Tank:
Hold aggro on this target and survive for t seconds while interrupting spells cast by the dummy.
Occasionally burst damage will be taken, and the tank will be required to use CDs effectively to manage.
Adds will spawn occasionally that the tank must pick up.
Again, any failure results in death and failure of quest.

You would have to have some sort of npc healer to assist with this as after the burst, the tank would probably die.

01/04/2011 8:28 PMPosted by Zarhym
Sort of. One flaw with the current system, is if players fail in a pick-up group, they aren't told why they failed. People then tend to play the blame game, often directing malice at the healer(s).

So while I'm speaking more about class roles, I think the idea still lends itself to your question. It'd be helpful to get more information than just through trial and error. Groups could benefit if they knew they didn't wipe because the healer didn't manage mana well enough, but because the DPS wasn't high enough, or boss adds weren't properly rounded up, etc.

Hah, so like the Microsoft Paperclip. Except it could be a murloc or something that pops up on your screen and says "It looks like you're trying to dps. Would you like help?"
01/04/2011 8:47 PMPosted by Spanner
As long as it's not a system where those who play more get in groups faster and with better players and those who don't play as much or play more than one character or spent time leveling a goblin alt instead of their main aren't forever locked into long queues with bad players I'll give it a shot.

Unfortunately this is the system we have today.....
So long as this prevents me from ever being grouped with the fury warrior who did 3k dps, the balance druid who did 2.8k or the Paladin who had no idea what Repentance was I'm more than for it.
This a the best idea I've heard on these forums in a very long time.

Blizzard please implement something along these lines as soon as possible.
Signed and agree 100% with OP

Brilliant idea
01/04/2011 9:20 PMPosted by Whithund
We would love to implement better ways for Dungeon Finder to detect if players know what they're doing in dungeons beyond just the gear they've accumulated. We have some long-term design goals in mind for this we're not quite prepared to share this early on though. ;)

Ideas like that should not be implmented in the game. Failure is part of learning. Saying that, Oh this person has no experience in something therefore cannot do it. I hope human resources nerfs you're paycheck by 2%.

I think what he was getting at is that people should not be able to bypass regular dungeons completely and queue for heroics pretty much right after hitting 85. I'm not disagreeing that failing is part of the learning process, but some people lack any sort of common sense. If there is a giant fire on the ground.. probably not a good idea to stand in it.
01/04/2011 9:21 PMPosted by Calikrea
Should have Blizzard own version of FailBot. More complex obviously, but it should at least announce who did what wrong.

I can tell you that every healer in the game right now would shed a tear of joy if this happened. Tired of being blamed for DPS dying in fire, pulling aggro, etc.
Far too often, I have grouped with people who had an adequate gear level for the instance yet freely admitted they had never been in the instance before on heroic OR normal. Needless to say having an understanding of the instance and the mechanics of the fight is half the battle.

A simple yet eloquent solution might be:

a modification from the old days of BC whereupon you were not able to enter a heroic instance unless you had the key to it.

The key would comprise of 4-5 pieces, each collected from completing the instance in normal mode.

The above would afford many players the opportunity to learn the instance and the fights prior to progressing to heroic level.

Please accepted this suggestion with the good intentions in which it is offered.

Kind Regards

O.B.
01/04/2011 9:20 PMPosted by Whithund
We would love to implement better ways for Dungeon Finder to detect if players know what they're doing in dungeons beyond just the gear they've accumulated. We have some long-term design goals in mind for this we're not quite prepared to share this early on though. ;)

Ideas like that should not be implmented in the game. Failure is part of learning. Saying that, Oh this person has no experience in something therefore cannot do it. I hope human resources nerfs you're paycheck by 2%.

Try healing heroics for a few days, you'd change your mind I guarantee it. Just a matter of time before getting yelled at by pre-pubscent teens who died in shadow voids changes your mind.
I hate to say it but I like this idea.
Either this, or make the dungeons a little more like Wrath where it was fun.