Kicked for being Deaf

General Discussion
Prev 1 6 7 8 53 Next
Wow dude that's just messed up.

I didn't loose my hearing but I'm in a similar boat where I lost the ability to do some things after a car accident 12 years ago.

I'd totally start going to servers and asking around.

I really wish you the best of luck and am sure you will find a nice home with a guild somewhere. There has to be one in this game.

I'd take you in!!! But I'm not the GL lol. But we are a family/close nit friends guild. We'd take you I bet.
Hey there thanks for clicking my post. This is going to be a bit lengthy.

I recently had an accident that resulted in the permanent lose of my hearing.

------------------------

Do you know what the first question i got from my guild leader was? He asked me if i could still use vent.

Your guild leader is a total idiot. I mean, the guy should not be allowed to spread his genes further.

What you should have said was, "Oh sure." Then proceeded to use vent. Then when someone asked why you did something, you should have replied.

"Oh because I can't hear of course. That would be the definition of "not being able to hear." You only asked me if I could still USE vent, you total idiot!"

My own story is this:

I can hear perfectly fine. In fact, often when I'm trying to sleep, a little too well. However, I refuse to use vent or other voice programs. Why do I refuse? Because I hate them. They are not needed since we have these things called "keyboards" in front of us.

Vent is a crutch. I Played in guilds in this, as well as other games, before we had or used Vent. Then vent came along, then we suddenly "needed" it.

If you NEEDED vent, no one hearing impaired would play this game. Obviously they do play. My guess is that there are entire guilds who have some, or all, hearing impaired people.

So I guess you can find some nice people, or some people who are not so club fingered and know how to type or some people with similar needs.

Its kind of ironic; You don't need MORE because of your supposed "impairment", you actually just want to make use of LESS. The supposedly totally non-impaired people are demanding that you use the crutch they "think" they need, out of pure laziness.

By the way, since Wow began I've seen pretty much this same thread about 60 times.
i could understand needing vent. say if you needed to say something, but to completely kick you for having a handicap? like it takes forever to type out a fight. i got a buddy who is color blind. it sucks when he stands in the wrong place because he has a hard time seeing the stuff on the floor. but we didnt kick him. we work with him, and adapt to our player's capabilities. thats what a good guild does. try to understand who your guildies are, and work with them.

and besides they are all probly going to hell for kicking a def guy out of the guild you seemed to be closely bonded with.
I wish I could say "I understand," but I can't. That's really terrible that your 'friends' weren't considerate enough to accommodate to you're problem. I'm not sure how hard it is to type out strats and whatnot. Hope you can find a good guild full of understanding people.
That's terrible man...they weren't really your friends if they could ditch you like that without a care...

How did you lose your hearing all of a sudden if you don't mind me asking? Just wondering...I have preforated eardrum and I been losing hearing since I was young...I may go deaf sometime in the future and worries me all the time when I think about it...going to see if operation can help me or not before it's too late.
...I refuse to use vent or other voice programs. Why do I refuse? Because I hate them. They are not needed since we have these things called "keyboards" in front of us.

I hate vent because as a female, when I've been told to join vent I often have gotten bombarded by "zomg can I have ur facebook, pics plz, you got a boyfriend, etc. etc." That coupled with whenever I might have made a mistake, they would say things like, "aww it's okay, she's a girl. She was probably in the kitchen..."

Seriously, if I could reach my hand through my microphone and choke the bastard, I would.
well this may be troublesome but you can always come to my server and join our guild. we are laid back and doesn't matter if you cant use vent. i think you will be happy with us :)
Golden Silence, seems somewhat active again on some server.

http://gskt.mmoguildsites.com/

Deaf wow gamers on facebook

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=wall&gid=7258635842

Jimmy Cao Hello WoW players. You may know or not that <Golden Silence> is widely known on internet by "wow deaf guild" in search engine. We, deaf players, expect to resurrect Golden Silence for the Alliance to grow on 'Kael'thas' realm by this weekend, so we can raid, followed by the events from schedule. We recruit for deaf pla..

Its very odd that its hard to find many links about deaf support, or guilds, in this game. It seems totally geared towards it since you don't actually need any voice/hearing to actually play the game.
12/29/2010 3:06 PMPosted by Unwelcome

I recently had an accident that resulted in the permanent lose of my hearing. The last few months have been the hardest i have ever known. I have had to deal with never listening to music and talking to people has become exhausting.

Its become that most people i thought were my friends just didn't want to deal with me anymore as i had become inconvenient. I felt more alone than ever.

So i came back to wow. Now I've been playing with my guild for about 4 years. We have all become close friends. We have even done some rl guild parties. I explained why i have been off for so long to the guild. I explained my condition. Everyone was pretty supportive for about 5 minutes.

Do you know what the first question i got from my guild leader was? He asked me if i could still use vent. I told him no, but tried to assure him it wouldn't be a problem as i usually research the fights before hand and use dbm.

He tells me that i can't raid unless i have vent. Guild rules and all. I was pissed. After a huge blow out between us i get removed from the guild and put on ignore. Our guild wasn't even that good. We did naxx full clear 10 man once.

After that i cried. I didn't know what to do, who to turn to. I tried joining up with some other guilds but their response to why i can't use vent went about the same.

So i come to the forums to not only vent my frustrations but to find others with my condition. Are there any deaf friendly raiding guilds out there? Would you be willing to take me in? How have you dealt with being deaf?

Any advice is appreciated, so long as its constructive.

Thanks for letting me blow off some steam, typing this out has helped.

TL;DR version
Got deaf, got kicked, cried.

Wow that is some harsh stuff man. I don't see what the big problem is. I mean why didn't they just type what needed to be done before hand. Anyway if you ever find yourself on Darrowmere. Look me up Songkeeper: Guild: Feroce' As long as your a considerate and respectful/mature person its all good.

Were casual, but we raid with our sister guild from time to time. So like I said if you can't find one and you don't mind a server transfer hit us up.

Good luck.
i kno wat your going thru. I to am deaf. Except i'm only deaf in my left ear completely, i can only hear out of my right ear, i lost mine from a seizure wen i wuz only 2. Its been really hard dealing with being deaf. The only way for me to hear again is by getting surgery. I will not take it tho because it is risk taking.
I do have a suggestion tho. Have you ever heard of the "Baha"? Its a hearing aid that gets attach to the side of your head.
12/29/2010 5:27 PMPosted by Kasstix
i kno wat your going thru. I to am deaf. Except i'm only deaf in my left ear completely, i can only hear out of my right ear, i lost mine from a seizure wen i wuz only 2. Its been really hard dealing with being deaf. The only way for me to hear again is by getting surgery. I will not take it tho because it is risk taking.
I do have a suggestion tho. Have you ever heard of the "Baha"? Its a hearing aid that gets attach to the side of your head.

Strange because I am deaf out of my left ear as well, I can hear well out of my right ear but I'm slowly starting to lose it the doctor said and the doctor also recommended me the "Baha" implant or try to get surgery...I did some research...I just can't the feel of having a hole in the head and screw in a box hanging off the side of my head :[ (Baha implant)

You would think as far as technology is advancing they would have something a little more...advanced, maybe a implant inside somewhere I don't know but if I was going completely deaf and my only last resort was the Baha implant then I would take it I guess.

I just hope there is another solution when I go to see my other doctor.
wats the guild name? and the raid leader?

and why didnt u just download vent for the heck of it, im one of the raid leader and when ppl say i dont have mic, i usually accept it. But that isnt right to get kicked out of a guild like that. I also do accept ppl who knows the fight n have dbm and doesnt wanna get in vent, well not all the time....
ventrilo is a tool for raids, some guilds are serious raiders and prob are a-holes about it not all but some...if u have a certain plan or strat, u do wanna go over that w/ them and also for better explanation, i do expect everyone on vent when i raid, but if u have a disablilty then its a different story
Thats just some evil Stuff man. I would have someone in my guild that was deaf anytime, I talk to much in vent anyways most people would probably be glad if they couldnt hear me. I hope things get better for ya.
Time for a harsh dose of reality here.

Let me start by saying, that I am truly sorry for whatever caused you to be deaf, I cannot even imagine what going through that must be like.

That being said, if your guild has desires to be a progression guild, then I don't blame them for kicking you.

In many fights something goes wrong, someone dies and they need you to pick up adds, or need you to get the next interrupt, have you go into a portal, have you CC an add, have you bite X person or run the spore to X zone.

Honestly, knowing the strats is good, however, things go less than ideal rather frequently in a raid environment, you need to be able to adapt and react on the fly and with your condition you are unable to do so.

Now, you made it sound like your guild was casual, and as such, it was stupid for them to kick you, I do not know the ins and outs of the situation, however, such action is sometimes necessary to further your guild.
12/29/2010 3:09 PMPosted by Alein
First of all.....what a crappy thing to do.
I'm sorry your "friends" turned out to be such jerks.
I would say most reasonable guilds would be perfectly understanding to a disability. I know of a couple people in raids I have been in there were either deaf or mute.
Typing works for everyone who is literate.
I hope you find a good group soon.
:D

This. I would never refuse to let someone join my guild because they're deaf, or have any other disability. You don't need vent.

Hope you find a decent group of people, OP.

Also, @Deadtwo: That is the most fantastic post I have ever seen. Kudos to you, good sir.
12/29/2010 3:06 PMPosted by Unwelcome

I recently had an accident that resulted in the permanent lose of my hearing. The last few months have been the hardest i have ever known. I have had to deal with never listening to music and talking to people has become exhausting.

Its become that most people i thought were my friends just didn't want to deal with me anymore as i had become inconvenient. I felt more alone than ever.

So i came back to wow. Now I've been playing with my guild for about 4 years. We have all become close friends. We have even done some rl guild parties. I explained why i have been off for so long to the guild. I explained my condition. Everyone was pretty supportive for about 5 minutes.

Do you know what the first question i got from my guild leader was? He asked me if i could still use vent. I told him no, but tried to assure him it wouldn't be a problem as i usually research the fights before hand and use dbm.

He tells me that i can't raid unless i have vent. Guild rules and all. I was pissed. After a huge blow out between us i get removed from the guild and put on ignore. Our guild wasn't even that good. We did naxx full clear 10 man once.

After that i cried. I didn't know what to do, who to turn to. I tried joining up with some other guilds but their response to why i can't use vent went about the same.

So i come to the forums to not only vent my frustrations but to find others with my condition. Are there any deaf friendly raiding guilds out there? Would you be willing to take me in? How have you dealt with being deaf?

Any advice is appreciated, so long as its constructive.

Thanks for letting me blow off some steam, typing this out has helped.

TL;DR version
Got deaf, got kicked, cried.

Unwelcome, you need to find a guild that has some empathy to your handicap.. ( Deafness may not really be a handicap to you, just used the word for lack of anything better ) I have worked with a raider who is severely hearing impaired and use of one hand.. she can not use vent... we had one raider dedicated to typing instructions to her in whispers reminders for boss fights ... for her vent was not required.

I am truely sorry for what has happened to you. If you want to talk to me further, an fill out an Application for Reforged , I can assure you , the only thing that will matter is your skill at playing your toon. I would be happy to consider it. Please know there are guilds out there who will not judge you for anything but your ability to play and be a good team member.

Happy new year.