new gaming computer under $400

General Discussion
I'm wondering what a good gaming computer to get for under $400 would be, i don't care much for graphics as long as its not lagging and not under my resolution, and that making it look unbearably horrific, i can either get one now or get one in a few months when i'll have more spending cash, if there is a good gaming computer(laptop preferred, because i constantly move around) i can get for under $400 (building it myself is not out of the question) then any advice on computers/parts would be appreciated.
Google "Asus G50vt X5"
under 400$? Sorry, there really is no "good" gaming one for that price. Its much better to save up for something. Maybe you could buy parts for 400-700 and make a 1k-1.2k computer but in my expereince 400 is enough for maybe a little cheap computer but not one i would game on
01/03/2011 12:38 AMPosted by Shaluma
I'm wondering what a good gaming computer to get for under $400 would be

you can get a computer that plays games for that cheap, wether or not you could call it a gaming computer is up to speculation.
okay, thanks guys.
although i dont have one this good something like http://configure.ap.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=s211011nz&c=nz&l=en&s=dhs&cs=nzdhs1 is what i'd call a gaming computer.

p.s. the prices are in nz$
01/03/2011 12:50 AMPosted by Kelyisa
unlike Zeus post above which is very nieve,mine is a gaming computer

I am from new zealand so for nz$500 you could not get a gaming computer, my gtx470 cost me about nz$600.
For 400 you could get a "gaming computer" from 2005.
so overall recommendation would be to save up another couple hundred dollars, then to start searching around for parts/builds?
Build it yourself
I regularly build gaming rigs that last for 3 years at a time by finding the parts and putting it together
for less than $300
01/03/2011 1:51 AMPosted by Shaluma
so overall recommendation would be to save up another couple hundred dollars, then to start searching around for parts/builds?

MMO Champ had a good article on build it yourself rigs.
Give me $1500 and I'll personally build and ship to you the best damn computer you've ever seen.
As somebody else mentioned it is all a matter of looking for a the best deal. I prefer newegg, but Tigerdirect is a new favorite.

A week before xmas I got a case, 450w psu, 5450(not that bad), quad core 630, and 8 gigs of ddr3 1333 ram. Since I already had a HDD and everything else just sitting around it was a simple build.

All in all it was 420 dollars. This computer rates a 5.5 on windows 7 only because of the graphics card, it won't play on ultra at like 500 fps or anything, but if you are happy with medium and 40+ fps you won't be disappointed.

I liked the line where someone said your OS will be a 100 dollars... haha.
I built a very nice one for ~$750.

I suggest saving your money. That jump from ~500 to ~800 really makes a difference.
My dell was a $400 bundle for christmas 2009, I just had to replace the graphic card. Runs great. Except now my boyfriend bought me a 25 inch monitor...and it runs crappy again.
you could get a computer built by yourself for around $400 that will run WoW fine. Just don't expect it to run Black Ops or Crysis well...
01/03/2011 2:05 AMPosted by Lenna
I built a very nice one for ~$750.

I suggest saving your money. That jump from ~500 to ~800 really makes a difference.

technology is rapidly upgrading its scary, Its better to just find out what you want to do with it and build around that price range. 300-400 to just web browse and play wow is good enough.