Pandaria Paladin Pre Raid Gear Guide (5.2)

Paladin
Prev 1 8 9 10 19 Next
02/07/2011 9:23 PMPosted by Auðr
Wich is better :-)
The you should move the pants around a bit the heroics out of SFK are much better than the JP ones.

Fixed!
While Corehammer's Riveted Girdle is a nice belt the Sun King's Girdle is far better due to the haste/gem slot.

I'd also move Book of the Well Sung Song and Captured Lightning around since with the book you can get more over all stats via reforging/gemming.
There is a new str meta gem for Ret in 4.0.6. The pattern is a world drop though, so it may take a while for it to be come readily available and not super expensive =p

Reverberating Shadowspirit Diamond
Is there a reason the VP T11 gear is left off the list? Since you can get it pre-raid. Also, Vicious Gladiator's Scaled Gauntlets and Vicious Gladiator's Scaled Shoulders (if you have the gloves for 2 set bonus) are good as well. In fact, I would argue they are the best pre-raid shoulder/gloves you can get pre-raid except for maybe T11. If you're willing to PvP a little. It shouldn't be difficult to win the 10 games (5 per week) needed to get both.
Is there a reason the VP T11 gear is left off the list? Since you can get it pre-raid. Also, Vicious Gladiator's Scaled Gauntlets and Vicious Gladiator's Scaled Shoulders (if you have the gloves for 2 set bonus) are good as well. In fact, I would argue they are the best pre-raid shoulder/gloves you can get pre-raid except for maybe T11. If you're willing to PvP a little. It shouldn't be difficult to win the 10 games (5 per week) needed to get both.

Hi!
Yes, because it´s a PvE Guide :-)
You could get kicked from a raid if they catch you using PvP gear.... the new Gear Score addon warns if you have PvP pieces, correct me if I´m wrong.

Hi!
You could get kicked from a raid if they catch you using PvP gear.... the new Gear Score addon warns if you have PvP pieces, correct me if I´m wrong.

I don't use gear score, so I don't know. I only mentioned it because it's extremely easy to get, and the PvP 2 Set (shoulders, gloves) are by far the best 2 pieces you can get pre-raid aside from T11, for Ret. If someone says you can't go to raid because you're wearing the 2 set, they're stupid. Even the weapons are good.

EDIT: Even though they are the best, I can understand they're lack of inclusion in the gear list if you're only going to list PvE gear, but it may be something worth adding a note for.

Oh, and the new Strength meta I added above =p
Love the list though and all the work you've put into it.
Carrier Wave Pendant is better than The Lustrous Eye.

Fixed

Pauldrons of Edward the Odd should probably be placed between Heaving Plates of Protection and Heaving Plates of Protection.

Fixed

Hardened Elementium Hauberk may not have any mastery, but it has more itemization in other important things like str, stam, and exp. The big thing is exp vs mastery, but it all depends on someone's individual situation and whether they're having issues with threat (or if they hate seeing CS/HotR get dodged and not generate HP).

Fixed

Hardened Elementium Girdle is better than Belt of the Ferocious Wolf.

Fixed

Ring of the Battle Anthem is a ring option available through Valor Points; haven't seen it mentioned yet.

I don´t know... you don´t have valor points... you are gearing up to start raiding :-)

Mirror of Broken Images/Mirror of Broken Images are Horde/Alliance versions of the same trinket, but the Alliance one wasn't mentioned. Also, this trinket is probably BiS for most tanks (possibly excepting DK tanks, who already have a powerful short-CD magic damage mitigation tool in AMS).

Fixed

Darkmoon Card: Volcano is a pretty terrible tanking trinket compared to other available options, especially keeping in mind how much it costs. The proc is pretty much a waste for a tank. You'd be better off with just about any other easily-obtainable trinket, whether from TB rep, from heroics, or possibly even from regular instances. The only reason I can see to get one is if you have lots of gold that you don't care about, and you need to gear up an alt AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE, LIEK 2DAY.

Removed from the list

Speaking of trinkets, Tia's Grace is technically a viable option for tanks who can't find anything better, but please don't roll on it against rogues, hunters, or ferals, because it's super-good for them and only passable for tanks.

Added.

Thank you for your feedback Farranor, your posts are always useful :-)
There is a new str meta gem for Ret in 4.0.6. The pattern is a world drop though, so it may take a while for it to be come readily available and not super expensive =p

Reverberating Shadowspirit Diamond

Changed, thank you!
While Corehammer's Riveted Girdle is a nice belt the Sun King's Girdle is far better due to the haste/gem slot.

I'd also move Book of the Well Sung Song and Captured Lightning around since with the book you can get more over all stats via reforging/gemming.

Fixed, thank you!

Hi!

I don't use gear score, so I don't know. I only mentioned it because it's extremely easy to get, and the PvP 2 Set (shoulders, gloves) are by far the best 2 pieces you can get pre-raid aside from T11, for Ret. If someone says you can't go to raid because you're wearing the 2 set, they're stupid. Even the weapons are good.

EDIT: Even though they are the best, I can understand they're lack of inclusion in the gear list if you're only going to list PvE gear, but it may be something worth adding a note for.

Oh, and the new Strength meta I added above =p
Love the list though and all the work you've put into it.

Yes, I understand and I´ll try to add PvP pieces in a near future.
Added the Meta gem.... thank you!
Glad you like the guide too :-)
Do the heroic Heaving Pauldrons of Protection even exist? More accurately, do any of the heroic zone drops actually exist? I find it a little hard to believe they do, and Wowhead comments seem to suggest none do.

Another cloak option is Ironstar's Impenetrable Cover off BWD trash.
Another cloak option is Ironstar's Impenetrable Cover off BWD trash.

Added, thank you!

02/16/2011 12:03 AMPosted by Lesaberisa
Do the heroic Heaving Pauldrons of Protection even exist? More accurately, do any of the heroic zone drops actually exist? I find it a little hard to believe they do, and Wowhead comments seem to suggest none do.

Should dropped at least once if found in the wow database
The database contains all sorts of datamined items that don't actually drop in the game (like 346 level BoEs from heroics). They (372 BoEs) might well exist in game, but everything I've read says that heroic trash drops 359 epics (which makes sense, that's how heroic ICC 25 trash worked too).
why is forged elementium mind crusher above sword of bottomless pit
02/16/2011 1:01 PMPosted by Faelirria
why is forged elementium mind crusher above sword of bottomless pit

OK, fixed!
Thanks for this guide - I've been using it to efficiently gear up and it makes things a heck of lot easier - don't have to go sort through Wowhead myself.

I do think the prot gloves, Gloves of the Greymane Wall should be at the bottom of the list not the top?

02/14/2011 10:22 AMPosted by Anairam
I don´t know... you don´t have valor points... you are gearing up to start raiding :-)

You do get valor points from doing the heroic daily dungeon, as I'm sure you know - and the prot relic #1 slot (in your guide) is from valor points already.
Thanks for this guide - I've been using it to efficiently gear up and it makes things a heck of lot easier - don't have to go sort through Wowhead myself.

I do think the prot gloves, Gloves of the Greymane Wall should be at the bottom of the list not the top?

You do get valor points from doing the heroic daily dungeon, as I'm sure you know - and the prot relic #1 slot (in your guide) is from valor points already.

Hi!
Thanks for the comments :-)
You earn 70 Valor Points per day doing randoms, you would need 10 days just to get the Relic, I suggested spending your first points in that piece because there are few protection options, I think I will remove it from the list...
You can, of course, spend your Valor Points in a lot of different gear but I can´t add them all or the guide won´t be a PRE RAID guide any more :-).
With the next content patch we will be able to buy Epic gear with Justice Points and I will have a lot of work updating this guide so, check back often!!!!
EDIT: Switched Gloves of the Greymane Wall to the bottom of the list.
Anairam, I have to say, "Thank you!" from the bottom of my furry heart. You have saved me possibly hours trying to figure out where everything is. I know yet another thanks probably doesn't mean much, but it's there nonetheless ;)
Holy pally mastery?? yea no thank you