4.2 Enhancement DPS Guide.

Shaman
Prev 1 3 4 5 19 Next
Back up wit' cha.
Enhancement

1) Putting points in to Imp Fire Nova is a personal choice. Personally, since there is more Damage to be had from LL and Searing. There isn't much of a point I can see to use it.

2) Don't use the Feral Spirit glyph. Why other buffing something you can only use every two minutes?

3) in case everyone missed it. The extra points in Imp Shields is a good idea. Since the shields can now proc a hit, without being hit.

4) The Totematic Reach talent is your friend. You may look at it and think, "Meh, I don't need the extra range." But in truth, the extra range allows for more movement before you have to drop you totems again. AKA just refreshing Searing totem is all you have to do.

5) As far as stats go. From my testing the priorities on these are. Hit/Exp>Agi/Mast>Haste>Crit. Crit isn't all that important. It's generally on every piece of gear we pick up and it's the one thing I cut in order to pick up Exp/Mast from reforging.

Enchants. Agi is important. But right now we get a bigger benefit from Mastery. Since all of our attacks are either Fire, Frost, or Nature Damage. Also when enchanting, take your profs in to consideration. Like I have JC/LW. Instead of the Precision or Mastery Enchants. I use the 130 agi lw embossment. As of right now I'm using Hurricane for the haste boost and avalanche.

Gems, these are still up in the air as it were. Since I'm not sure if they've fixed this problem yet or not. For now though I use the Fleet Shadowspirit Diamond(+54 mast minor run speed increase). Then the rest are a mix of Mast/Stam, Agi/Mast, Mast/Exp. To cover that annoying expertise of 26. I need to get around and use some JC exp gems. That will give me a bit more room to play around with other gems and reforging.

As for the job itself. It's just a matter of rotation or priority. For me, I always start combat the same way. Which is as follows.

1) Unleash Elements(40 yard range nice lead in)
2) Drop totems(SoE, Searing, HST/MTT(interchangable), Windfury)
3) Lava Lash(Nice starter after Unleash Elements, Stormstrike works too for the attack speed buff)
4) Flameshock(Buffed from LL and Unleash Elements)
5) Stormstrike(Lava Lash if you use Stormstrike as your lead in)
6) Lightening Bolt (If Maelstrom hasn't proced at this point, use Earth Shock)
7) Earth Shock(Lightening bolt if you had to wait on Maelstrom)

From here it a matter of CDs and watching Searing Totem, FS, and Unleash Elements. It's generally best to try and alternate between SS and LL on Unleash. But you can use it jut with one if you want.

Now here's the kicker. Don't worry about your dps from here. But do think about one thing. What is more beneficial to what's going on. During a lot of fights, I find that dropping the occassional healing rain or casting chain heal is of great benefit. One, it doesn't hurt your dps much at all. Two, it helps prevent the healers from going OOM. Since we don't have to worry about mana. We can drop these occassionally and keep right on dpsing.

The one thing you have to get use to though. Right now there is some down time in the spec. A few seconds where you're waiting on a CD to finish for your next ability. There are three things I can think of that would fix this.

1) Allow the use of Fire Nova with Searing Totem(not likely to happen).
2) Make LvB useable with Maelstrom. This way it can be alternated out with Lightening Bolt. That way you can SS, Maelstrom LB or Unleash Elements, LL, LvB/FS.
3) Glyph or Talent that lowers the CD of Unleash Elements.
01/12/2011 6:24 AMPosted by Mahria
3) in case everyone missed it. The extra points in Imp Shields is a good idea. Since the shields can now proc a hit, without being hit.

What's the consensus on this? Are points in Imp. Shields a good idea in light of Static Shock?
1) Putting points in to Imp Fire Nova is a personal choice. Personally, since there is more Damage to be had from LL and Searing. There isn't much of a point I can see to use it.

No, it isn't. It's one highest dps talent on any fight that requires aoe, and there are multiple fights with aoe components in current content.

2) Don't use the Feral Spirit glyph. Why other buffing something you can only use every two minutes?

Because it's mathematically better than any glyph other than Stormstrike or Lava Lash, despite it only having 1/4 uptime. If you're rocking a caster mainhand, FT glyph is better. If you're not, Feral Spirits glyph is.

No, they still aren't. At all. Lightning Shield did 6.1% of my damage on Argaloth last night. A 15% increase to 6.1% would be a .915% increase to damage done. Putting three talent points into a .9% damage increase is a terrible idea. Imp. Shields is a resto/ele talent.

4) The Totematic Reach talent is your friend. You may look at it and think, "Meh, I don't need the extra range." But in truth, the extra range allows for more movement before you have to drop you totems again. AKA just refreshing Searing totem is all you have to do.

Negative. Just don't be stupid with your totem dropping and plan it out before hand. There are better spots for you to be spending your talent points in.

I'm not going to touch the rest of your post, but no.
Hmm I may be wrong. Or perhaps you may think I am. Either way. It matters not. All I know is that my last reported dps, which is last week, was a solid 21K with 107k LL crits on Halfus 10m. So.. I must be doing something right.
01/12/2011 7:41 AMPosted by Mahria
Hmm I may be wrong. Or perhaps you may think I am. Either way. It matters not. All I know is that my last reported dps, which is last week, was a solid 21K with 107k LL crits on Halfus 10m. So.. I must be doing something right.

Halfus is not an accurate representation of damage. Your entire raid is buffed to do more damage. I did 24k on him last night and didn't even break into the world top 200 for enhancement on that fight.

This guide is based on the mathematically correct ways of doing dps. It's not based on anecdotal personal testing or "I think that..."s.
How about this. I'll do thing my way and laugh at you as you chase after the shirts of those that can only say, "This is the only way to do it." Does that work for you? It works for me. As my setup works me. Yes, through personal testing, meaning I've took the time to test every possible setup up. I've asted the gold on respecs, glyphs, gems, and enchants. I've never touched theorycrafting. I've always done it, "If I want to know how x change affects my dps." I go out and test it, in game. It's the only time I'll actually use a dps meter. I don't run off to a website and say, "Please tell me how to play my toon." But hey that's the great thing isn't it? I can play my way, you can play yours, and we can both be right and wrong at the same time.

But then I'm not sitting here saying my way is right, their way is wrong. I might disagree on some points in the guide. I put those out there. What's the point in making a guide? To point people in the right direction? Or to just sit there and say, "This is the only way to do it. No ifs, ands, or buts."?

Also the guide may be set up for the mathematically correct way to dps. But that really only works for sims and bots. Play style also affects the outcome. So the mathematically correct way to dps is missing the x factor of player error or just play style in general.
A. Enhancement:
http://www.wowhead.com/talent#hhrZfcG0sMhRGo. Improved Fire Nova is mandatory to move further down in the tree. Since AoE still has a place in a number of PvE fights like Maloriak, it’s the best choice to move further down in the tree.

Retracted my original post.

Imp shields just does not have a strong enough multiplier to be worth the points. His numbers are correct and justified. Imp Shields is a filler spot to move down the tree but that's really it. The dps factor it contributes is negligible compared to the noticeable AoE dmg increase (albeit it is situational, but overall a better choice) that imp Fire Nova provides.

The Imp Shields talent is in deed a ele talent for the following reasons:

Lightning Shield Damage = ((375 + ($SP * 0.267)) * 1) Nature Damage
it does receive a modifier from Enh mastery, but it is not enough to increase the damage to pass that of what ele could accomplish with it.

Also, Ele has two additional spells that make use of LS damage (Fulmination and Rolling Thunder). Obviously Ele is going to have a hell of a lot more spell power than enh, and thus have a greater impact on LS damage than Enh Mastery possibly could and be able to deal out straight damage instead of waiting for random procs as Enh.

Some of you are getting far too hung up over 2 filler points in the enhancement tree. They are filler points, you could justify putting them anywhere. Shields, toughness, reach, fire nova. All are minor and *situational* buffs.
01/12/2011 8:11 AMPosted by Mahria
How about this. I'll do thing my way and laugh at you as you chase after the shirts of those that can only say, "This is the only way to do it." Does that work for you? It works for me. As my setup works me.

How about this: we'll do things our way and laugh at you as you do sub-par DPS?
01/12/2011 8:11 AMPosted by Mahria
Also the guide may be set up for the mathematically correct way to dps. But that really only works for sims and bots. Play style also affects the outcome. So the mathematically correct way to dps is missing the x factor of player error or just play style in general.

And a sub-optimal build and playstyle would make up for the 'X' factor?

Look I am a horrible shaman, and I am on a wife-imposed playtime reduction atm... I blew my gold on stupid things so I dont have the money to keep respecing with all the changes, and to enchant all my blue/greens. People like me need an example of what to strive for with our limited time. I want a guide to the best possible way to build and play my shaman. not what may possibly work. or what might get my numbers ALMOST up to the best.

Elam's post is backed by math that has been verified by multiple sources as being the best possible dps increase (read elitistjerks.com). I doubt you have spent as much gold or time testing as the majority of the shaman in this post.

5) As far as stats go. From my testing the priorities on these are. Hit/Exp>Agi/Mast>Haste>Crit. Crit isn't all that important. It's generally on every piece of gear we pick up and it's the one thing I cut in order to pick up Exp/Mast from reforging.

"Crit isn't all that important..." um.. well u just let me know how well you stack MW_5 with no crit..

Anyway, like I was saying, I'm a bad shaman so Elam thanks for the guide. Between reading posts by you and Matuk I might eventually pull some decent dps.

*edit* my grammar/spelling is worse than my dps.
"Crit isn't all that important..." um.. well u just let me know how well you stack MW_5 with no crit..

Anyway, like I was saying, I'm a bad shaman so Elam thanks for the guide. Between reading posts by you and Matuk I might eventually pull some decent dps.

*edit* my grammar/spelling is worse than my dps.

Thank you very much. I do need to point out that MW stacks on hits and not crits, though! Crit is a really bad stat for us, with only haste being less bad. Our stat priority is kinda like

Spell hit Cap> Expertise > Agility>Mastery>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Crit>Haste.

:P
01/12/2011 1:48 PMPosted by Elam
Spell hit Cap> Expertise > Agility>Mastery>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Crit>Haste.

Have you actually tested this recently, or are you just going by word of mouth?

My most recent EP calculation was more like this:

Agility (2.52) >>>>>>>>>> Spell hit cap (1.49) >> Expertise cap (1.29) >/= Mastery (1.24) >>>>> Haste (0.82) >/= Crit (0.76)

This isn't just limited to EP values. Hypothetically, if the meta gem changes were implemented and I swapped 4x sensei's dream emeralds for 4x adept ember topaz and 1x glinting demonseye for 1x delicate inferno ruby, I would gain 100 agility (+5% from mail specialization) at the cost of 100 hit rating. Even if I decided to stay below hit cap for whatever reason, this change would result in a net simulated gain of about 110 dps (20658.39 => 20769.11).

As I said in my previous post, you can make the argument that there are other reasons to cap your spell hit (e.g. interrupting boss abilities), and in this sense you could rank spell hit as a higher stat priority than agility, but an explanation should be provided in order to inform people that reforging is the best method to go about doing this, and you should only resort to gems if you can't get capped through reforging alone (minus the glinting demonseyes you'll use to activate worthwhile blue sockets).

The same argument can't be made for expertise, so I see no reason to rank it higher than agility (unless, like I said, you've tested this recently and are seeing different results than I am, in which case I'll have to figure out why my EnhSim is b0rk3d).
Huh, Purge. That's actually really interesting. I haven't calculated my EP values in over a week or so because I've been busy working and stuff. Spriests are in the same boat with Hit Rating and it not being the most important thing for them to cap. It's definitely something I'll look into.

I also find it weird that your haste is over crit right now, as I haven't had those results since Cata hit. When I find time this weekend, I need to clear up how bad haste/crit are in comparison to everything else in the op.
01/12/2011 3:01 PMPosted by Elam
Huh, Purge. That's actually really interesting. I haven't calculated my EP values in over a week or so because I've been busy working and stuff. Spriests are in the same boat with Hit Rating and it not being the most important thing for them to cap. It's definitely something I'll look into.

I also find it weird that your haste is over crit right now, as I haven't had those results since Cata hit. When I find time this weekend, I need to clear up how bad haste/crit are in comparison to everything else in the op.

I've seen crit above haste just as often as I've seen haste above crit. The difference between the two stats is incredibly minor and which one comes out on top can easily change in response to small adjustments of your gear. As far as I'm concerned, the two stats are equal(ly bad).

* EDIT: It's also worth noting that at comparatively low levels of hit and/or expertise, the values of the two stats increase, but it's still not enough for them to come close to agility (EP values of ~1.75 for hit and ~1.40 for expertise). The only exception I've seen to this is when you fall below the melee specials cap, which is pretty difficult to do considering the +6% we gain while dual wielding. Hit rating has a value approximately equal to agility at this point (EP values of ~2.45 for hit and ~2.47 for agility).
01/12/2011 1:48 PMPosted by Elam
Thank you very much. I do need to point out that MW stacks on hits and not crits, though! Crit is a really bad stat for us, with only haste being less bad. Our stat priority is kinda like

Doh! lol see? bad shaman!

/hides from wife again
Elam,

I'm thinking I may write up a guide for Elemental. While the guide you wrote gives a great understanding of the class I think a bit more depth is needed on certain areas. I also have plans to show how to set up a good ele shaman UI for tracking everything.

Moreso, I think having 2 dps specs in the same thread will get confusing. I am thinking that you could possibly expand on enhancement with the extra space that elemental takes up, and I will go more in depth with elemental.
Thanks for some good information. I m relatively new to the shaman experience and am having a few problems in both PvE and PvP. So if you really get bored and want to help with that I would be most appreciative.
Hmm so let's see. Everything I've read so far for enhancement says to get get spell hit capped. Which if you go by elitistjerks is roughly 8-8.5%. 6% from Elemental Precision and 2-3% covered from our gear. Which is what I have, 8.3% is what I believe I have. But the actual Spell Hit cap is 17% for caster. So which one are we aiming for?

If it's the 8-8.5% one. Then it's just a matter of not reforging hit of your gear. If it's the 17% one. That one would prove to be a bit of a pain. Unless you off-set a few pieces with caster gear. Say, Bracers, Belt, Boots, Neck, 1 ring, and 1 trink. Then using a Caster Main hand with the double FT/FT. Which is entirely plausible. It's just that I'm reading everything I see about Enh as we're still casters instead of melee. But then couldn't you also get the same affect from using a Melee Main hand and using a caster weapon in your offhand? I haven't reviewed the caster gear, as being another mage doesn't interest me. Did they make all caster weapons main hand?