4.2 Enhancement DPS Guide.

Shaman
Prev 1 4 5 6 19 Next
@Mahria. All caster weaps are mainhand. You need the 17% spell hit, or 1742 rating. Ele precision no longer gives hit. Offsetting caster gear is a bad idea, just use agi gear and possibly reforge for hit/expertise.

Deadlines have been met for the week and my life is less crazy for a day or two. I might be able to look at this post tomorrow after kickboxing in six hours. Be back then!

01/12/2011 10:44 PMPosted by Elam
Ele precision no longer gives hit.

You actually get a couple of points of spell hit from the +stats to chest enchant if you're spec'd into this talent. It's how I'm capped right now.
So having to shoot for spell hit cap basically means we're a melee range caster. I'll have to review my gear then. Since the 17% hit cap for casting will be a bit of a pain to get to. I guess it just means I'll have to reforge a few things and look over gear and all in order to get there. It prob wouldn't hurt me on the gear if I picked up more pieces with hit and mastery, replacing the pieces that I have that are crit/mast.
So having to shoot for spell hit cap basically means we're a melee range caster. I'll have to review my gear then. Since the 17% hit cap for casting will be a bit of a pain to get to. I guess it just means I'll have to reforge a few things and look over gear and all in order to get there. It prob wouldn't hurt me on the gear if I picked up more pieces with hit and mastery, replacing the pieces that I have that are crit/mast.

Theres no problem with reforging your crit/mastery pieces (Crit>>Hit). You should also prioritize hit over mastery in your reforging. currently it looks like you have reforged a fair amount of mastery that could instead go towards your hit. Also gem as much hit as you can untill the cap. Get rid of that nightmare tear in our shoulder slot, thats old and you dont need it since you will be able to fill blue slots with hit gems now. red slots fill with hit/agi gems to get the socket bonuses. you can gain over 260hit with regeming alone and a fair amount more if you reforge for hit. since you are only at 797 hit atm, you should see a fair dps increase on raid bosses (you need 1742) since you will be hitting them alot more!

just suggestions. :D
awesome guide

will have to edit the one part where it mentions using tremor totem if stoneskin and soe are covered with the patch changes (but thats in the future)
Dang it found this on page 5! Sticky already Bliz!
I'd probably add a warning that priority for the enhancement rotation will vary person to person, based on gear and spec. I've run a ton of sims and whatnot, and for me SS is actually 2nd on the list, instead of 3rd to last. Mine is similar to yours but reads:

Searing>SS>LL>FSwithUE>MW5LB>UE>ES>Feral Spirit

I've wrestled with it a bit, but I get a significant DPS % increase if I prioritize SS over LL. This probably isn't the same for everyone, and is probably affected by whether or not you use improved shields, but it is worth noting that priority queues will differ from person to person.
Just asking because I don't know, but is it possible that SS is simming higher for you because it is a special? I beleive your special attacks are hit capped but your spell hit is about 300 pts off cap (*should be 1742 hit). Does the simulator factor that in? maybe you can sim as if you changed the mastery reforging that you currently have into hit and put in some hit gems to hit cap and re-sim to see if your priority realigns with the guide. Also if you are running mainly heroics still, obviously the spell hit cap is lower; so are you simming against a Heroic level boss or a raid level boss?

I am just curious because I am not yet hit capped either. I tend to stay with the guide because I want to get the muscle memory down for when I am hit capped.
I'm simming for heroic bosses, since I'm not raiding yet. But when I switch it to a raid boss, my rotation is still showing as optimal for me. Also, all the mastery that I have reforged is on gear that already has hit, so I couldn't reforge that to hit if I wanted to. With the exceptions of gems (AGI is still showing as better, point for point, than hit, so I'm not gemming for hit right now) and enchants (130 agi is pretty clearly better than 50 hit), there's not much I can do to improve hit short of getting better gear.

I might be doing something wrong in the sims, but I've spent a fair amount of time on it and this is the best possible rotation I've come up with with my current gear, and switching from the OP's rotation to my simmed rotation increased my DPS instantly. My point isn't that the OP's rotation is bad, it's just that, there is definite room for optimization based on talents and gear for each person and there is no universally optimal priority queue.
post so I can come back later to this.
bah this needs sticky lazy mods!!!
It's probably worth mentioning glyph of windfury weapon, which should be more competitive next patch.
ty
u make shamans seem less pointless
i have a purpose!
i dub u..shamans gawd \m/^_^\m/
Thanks for this, Elam. It's a huge help!
thankee sire
Point for point, AGI >> Hit or Exp, even before the spell hit and dodge caps. Hit and expertise is for reforging from haste and crit, not for gemming.

When you are talking about "must have" talents, Improved Fire Nova is most definitely up for debate. Theory crafting and some testing suggest you need upwards of 5+ targets getting hit by your magma AND fire nova for quite some time to exceed single target rotation with searing and chain lightning.

Now think about those two points in Improved Shields which is a DPS increase for ALL encounters, or Totemic Reach, which is useful on a lot fights where poeple are spread out.

If you are going to write a guide about putting out the best possible DPS, then you have to include spell power weapons and the speed mismatch needed to optimize flametongue procs. Until it is "fixed", it is the way to get top, sustainable DPS.

Glyphed Healing Stream is very powerful and is a great option to dropping mana stream totem. Once healers realize they need to stack spirit gear, then the benefit of mana stream is greatly diminished.
gief sticky!!! too many crap threads being posted this keeps fallin down
This is a great PVE DPS guide for Elemental and Enhance. Can we please get this stickied?
Love your posts Elam....
I have to agree on splitting an Elemental and Enhancement thread. I'm interested in both specs, but with all of the very helpful discussion a lot of the points are getting crossed and I think I've got some of the data mixed up in my head. Spells and stats and talents are being debated but it's hard to tell which spec they're referring to.

I really want to get as much out of my DPS as my playtime will allow, so perhaps a "Quick Reference" for gearing/gemming/glyphing to get an idea of specific targets to be shooting for.

Thanks to Elam for the great guide and all the rest of the great input!
01/17/2011 12:17 PMPosted by Panazonik
Point for point, AGI >> Hit or Exp, even before the spell hit and dodge caps. Hit and expertise is for reforging from haste and crit, not for gemming.

I would like to see the math on that. It is true that the value of hit decreases the closer to cap you get simply because your chance to miss decreases, but all the math i have see on Ej shows that Hit(to spell cap) >> Much greater than >> Agi.