Leveling Prot 101

Paladin
Post Limit:
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 Next
Hi, i just hit level 29 and i see that you recommend to keep using Crusader Strike over Hammer of the Righteous on single-target encounters even with the glyph to buff its damage.

Maybe it's different at max level but ive been testing it for a while and im doing 30-70 damage more with my hammer than i was doing with crusader strike on whatever mobs i was fighting in Stranglethorn Vale (crocolisks, gorillas)

Should i keep using HotR or CS? It seems HotR is better with no downside at all.

Edit: just saw on previous page where you mentioned HotR is better below level 80 so i guess that clears it up!
Updated for 4.1 changes.
* Rebuke can't miss
* Using AS proc'd from GS generates 1HP
* RF persists through death
* WoG now has a baseline 20s cooldown
Hi, i just hit level 29 and i see that you recommend to keep using Crusader Strike over Hammer of the Righteous on single-target encounters even with the glyph to buff its damage.

Maybe it's different at max level but ive been testing it for a while and im doing 30-70 damage more with my hammer than i was doing with crusader strike on whatever mobs i was fighting in Stranglethorn Vale (crocolisks, gorillas)

Should i keep using HotR or CS? It seems HotR is better with no downside at all.

Edit: just saw on previous page where you mentioned HotR is better below level 80 so i guess that clears it up!

My advice. Just do it the right way while leveling. That way you don't have to break a bad habit when you get to 85.
05/02/2011 10:55 AMPosted by Shindahikari
My advice. Just do it the right way while leveling. That way you don't have to break a bad habit when you get to 85.

That was my intended suggestion as well by writing the guide to use the abilities that way. If you use the ability how you will use it at 85 from square 1, it will become muscle memory.
Whats the fastest way to level to 85 from a prot pally random dungeons or quests?
05/04/2011 05:56 PMPosted by Azandor
Whats the fastest way to level to 85 from a prot pally random dungeons or quests?

I haven't directly compared both methods, so I can't definitively say which would be faster. (And this isn't a leveling strategy guide, so all I can do is offer an opinion.) However, I can guess that Dungeons would be faster until you ran out of rested experience, and then selectively doing quests might be better. Obviously if you're spending all of your time traveling for quests, you're wasting time that could have been spent in a dungeon trickling in XP, so choose quest hubs wisely. 6 in one hand, half a dozen in the other...
At level 48 go to Ungoro Crater and kill the wandering elite Devilsaur-- he will be worth over 2K experience by himself and its incredibly easy. Might even be able to pull it off at 46 or 47. Just something fun that Prot's insane soloing ability gives.
05/17/2011 05:51 AMPosted by Alordis
At level 48 go to Ungoro Crater and kill the wandering elite Devilsaur-- he will be worth over 2K experience by himself and its incredibly easy. Might even be able to pull it off at 46 or 47. Just something fun that Prot's insane soloing ability gives.

I'm not certain that I would recommend doing this... even if it is possible, I'm sure you would gain more experience (and be safer) by putting your time into completing quests.

I could see it both ways; you have a lot of time while levelling 80-85 to adjust to the correct rotation.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe HotR uses more mana (I run lower in mana when fighing a group of mobs). So I try to use CS when I can to conserve mana.

05/13/2011 12:31 AMPosted by Phydeaux
I'm planning on starting a pally and leveling as prot while tanking (my first tank, yikes/scary/omg I'm gonna fail etc.), and this guide seems very helpful. So, thanks!

I was the same way lol. I have an 85 lock running HCs, so switching to tanking was nerve-racking. But I've gotten a lot more confident (partly from this guide, partly from just doing it repetative) and have gotten compliments and had party members want to requeue with me, which just feels awesome. I love tanking and can't wait to hit 85 with my pally!

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe HotR uses more mana (I run lower in mana when fighing a group of mobs). So I try to use CS when I can to conserve mana.

As of right now (patch 4.1) HotR does consume more mana than CS. There was a data-mined ability change in the 4.2 patchnotes that indicates that the mana cost will be equalized (HotR will cost 10% of base mana, down from 12%).
http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/2300-Patch-4.2-PTR-Build-14107

I was the same way lol. I have an 85 lock running HCs, so switching to tanking was nerve-racking. But I've gotten a lot more confident (partly from this guide, partly from just doing it repetative) and have gotten compliments and had party members want to requeue with me, which just feels awesome. I love tanking and can't wait to hit 85 with my pally!

Glad that the guide helped! Adding more playtime to your tanking experience will always help improve your automatic reactions and confidence. I've found that simply communicating with your group also goes a long way.

Yesterday I zoned in to an in-progress run, noticed the boss, and typed out the strategy I was going to use. I was immediately met with the response of "Wow, he's already better than the previous tank!" So believe me when I say that communication is key. Telling your group how you plan to move, what buff you're doing, if you're new the instance, etc. will help. Throwing a mark or two onto the groups of mobs you're about to pull shows your group that you are in control of the situation and that you're not just charging in blindly. It's the little things that add up, and when they add up the group is happy, and when the group is happy they get more cooperative and more understanding if you make a mistake. All of these things will help you build on your experience and increase your confidence.
first off, when you're leveling a protadin, don't be afraid to go up to big bosses all by your lonesome on a five man quest by yourself! you might wipe a couple times but seriously, if you have level appropriate gear and a mana potion and a couple elixirs, you can work wonders...... yeah i didn't have a very helpful guild when i was leveling /cry
Oh yeah, I forgot about CS and HotR will be using the same mana.

My guild is great with helping me. Our GM (who happens to live across the street) is a protadin and he'll run as a healz with me sometimes and give me tips and walk me through some bosses on vent. Great guilds are helpful in every regard.
Random question: Is it even worth reforging before max level? For instance, I came across a piece of gear (forget what it was), but it had a crap load of strength, was a major upgrade to my current piece, but no stam. Would it be worth reforging some of the strength into stam to balance it out?
Awesome guide! Very helpful thanks for taking the time to post it up!
wish i found this earlier. having a lot of fun tanking and pretty much just running dungeons but i do some quests too for a break and so i can feel even more OP. :)

love that I am in outland now and getting some nice big gear upgrades!

wanna go back to old world and solo some stuff when I can. interested in the higher level ones. Guess i gotta wait to least 70?
Updated for 4.2

* Removed Eternal Glory from leveling spec entirely, replaced with Seals of the Pure
* Added Holy Shield activation to the basic theory
Now that AGI does nothing for us (except some melee crit) should it be 3rd in stat preference?
07/08/2011 07:27 AMPosted by Brunheil
Now that AGI does nothing for us (except some melee crit) should it be 3rd in stat preference?

Ooo, good catch! Sorry I missed updating that!

Edit: I'm going to leave Agi listed at the third stat. I want stress that as far as stat progression goes, Stam > Str > Agi > Int/Spirit. I want to avoid having players taking Int/Spirit on their gear if at all possible. By the time they hit lvl80/85, str/stam gear possessing taking stats should be readily available and the clear option to take.